Feeding to sleep at 12 months?

Lil C

Mummy!
Reaction score
Does anyone do this or did anyone used to?
LO feeds in the morning when she wakes and if we're in the house for her daytime nap(s) i feed her to sleep and then again every night at bedtime.
She doesn't take a dummy or use any other comforter so this is really the easiest way to get to sleep.
I just wondered if anyone does this too and are planning to stop or if anyone did this if they waited for LO to self wean or if you managed to use another way of getting LO to sleep?
I did intend to start the PUPD method when LO was younger but i don't have a lot of patience! :wacko:

Yep, we're still feeding to sleep for all daytime naps at home and of a night..
I honestly don't know any other way to get him to go to sleep and doing cc is just not an option in this house,
I've recently bought the No Cry Sleep Solution which I'm attempting to read in my free :)haha:) time in the hope that will give some help as to how to change things,
We still co-sleep f/t as well so I'm wanting to get him into his own bed over the coming months as well.

Thanks, good to know i'm not alone! It would just be nice if hubby could do the night time sleeps every so often but its just so much easier this way! I'm kinda hoping Lo will just learn to fall asleep on her own in her own time but i think i'm dillusional sometimes!
And i know what you mean, a friend let me 'borrow' her Baby Whisperer book - in August! My free time is spend plucking my eyebrows and dying my hair! :shrug: xx

I still do but since I work part time now he will accept rocking from grandma/pa or hubby.

Not from me however he wants boobie! although I have notice increasingly he will nurse while still awake then come off and just lie there for 5-10 while i rock him. He instists on boob first so know that i am thinking about it he is starting to get out of that routine on his own but by and large he still nurses to sleep. Oh and he still wakes up at leasts twice in the night and I nurse him for sure to get him back to sleep then.

Yep, we're still feeding to sleep for all daytime naps at home and of a night..
I honestly don't know any other way to get him to go to sleep and doing cc is just not an option in this house,
I've recently bought the No Cry Sleep Solution which I'm attempting to read in my free :)haha:) time in the hope that will give some help as to how to change things,
We still co-sleep f/t as well so I'm wanting to get him into his own bed over the coming months as well.

Also reading the "no cry sleep solution" - some of the advice has really helped us. In the last three weeks we've moved from nursing to sleep (he stopped this of his own accord and we had no other way of getting him to sleep at the time) to almost self settling in the evening.

LO now goes to sleep after about 15 - 20 min of me lying quietly in bed with him - no boobs, rocking etc... We had to put some pretty strict rituals in place though, move his bedtime earlier and start preparing for bed (ie. quieting down, reading stories, singing softly etc..) for at least 45 min before bedtime.

And i know what you mean, a friend let me 'borrow' her Baby Whisperer book - in August! My free time is spend plucking my eyebrows and dying my hair! :shrug: xx

Sorry, just to add, I found the advice in "the baby whisperer" was totally incompatible with BF'ing on demand and very unhelpful. I hate to be negative but it's probably one of the worst baby books I've read. Not sure if this is because I find the AP route works better for me and LO.

Hope you find a way that works for you and your LO :flower:

We did until 17months. We weaned all the other feeds off and DH had always gone in to try and comfort him in the night before resorting to a feed so it didn't become the default if he woke up. He was down to his morning, evening, and maybe one night feed on a bad day at about 14months. Then we got down to just the evening feed at 16months but I fell pregnant and he went off the milk and couldn't get enough out and would literally be sat there sucking and sucking for about an hour with nothing and it was agony so we started giving him 'chocolate' milk in a cup instead. He took to it really well and only signed for his 'milkers' for about a week or two. We did warm milk with cocoa stirred in and a couple of books and then DH would put him down in his cot awake. He fought it for a while, we don't do CIO but he wasn't crying, just talking to his toys or whinging, so we'd just leave him til he went to sleep. He took to it really well :)

We do but I get so frustrated sometimes as she will suck and suck and not go into a proper sleep, especially if she is in our bed. Hubby can rock her to sleep if she is just not settling for me and playing up but she's not very happy about it at first!

Has your hubby tried to rock her to sleep? Evie is the worst sleeper, she usually wakes 15 mins after she has been put down so it's nice that he can go up and re-settle her so I'm not up and down allnight before going to bed!

Harry's almost 16 months & we still feed to sleep for the day time nap, unintentionally most of the time, he asks for 'beeeeee' & then drifts off withion a couple of minutes, lol. At night time, he has his boobie downstairs, then we walk up together & put him to bed, which works fine, but recently he started waking in the night again (blasted molars coming in) & the ONLY way I can get him back to sleep is BFing him. I don't mind though; he'll learn not to need feeding to sleep soon enough & I will miss our special cuddles, lol.

We feed to sleep most of the time at 17 months. She's had a few times recently where she's preferred to go to sleep in her dad's arms, or even just drifting off on her own, so I think she'll eventually self settle without any input from us. I'm happy doing it, so we'll just keep on!

I nurse my 12 month old to sleep every night and for both of his daytime naps. He doesn't always fall asleep at my breast but he calms down and gets sleepy, ready to be placed in his crib. He wakes up twice every night and I nurse him back to sleep as well. :) Love love love it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->