Feeling discouraged :(

Kezzybear

Reaction score
I really want to cloth nappy, but when telling people I want to do it or asking for advice on Facebook, people keep saying things like "what would you do that for?" "That's just silly, you will be so overwhelmed with a newborn" " I tried it and hated it" etc.
it's really making me discouraged, like I'm not going to be able to do it. Although I'm very stubborn so it's also making me want to do it and succeed even more!

Am I truly not going to cope? Is it all too hard?

Not hard. For me at least, I'm home on maternity leave. We have 16 diapers, one large dry bag we put dirty ones in, a travel size version of that, soap nuts and access to a washer and space to 'hang' or a dryer.

I kept an eye on websites while preggo and bought during sales. We use pocket diapers AIO size and just take the insert out before we put it in the dry bag and wash and hang every two days. A soak, prewash, wash.

For right now, they leak less than disposables for me. Love them! No regrets.

It's SO easy. And I actually enjoy my diaper laundry! LOL! Although, my LO was in disposables for the first 4 weeks because i am a first time mom and I wanted to adjust first, hadn't prepped them yet, etc. I can say with certainty that we have never had a blow out, and any pee leaks have been from incorrect fitting or leaving the nappy on a bit longer by accident. Also, when they are cleaned properly, cloth diapers don't STINK when wet or soiled like disposables.

My mom said the same thing to me when I initially mentioned it. A coworker of her's even said "you're not going to want to CD," and my mom agreed. Then I showed her the diapers I was going to buy and she gifted me enough to buy 12 more. :)

There are a lot of myths and misconceptions about cloth diapering. Suffice it to say that it is actually easier than a standard load of laundry. There's no sorting necessary, nor different washing or drying techniques necessary for most nappy stashes.

Just research as much as you need to feel comfortable with what you would like to use (and honestly, exposure over time makes everything kind of fall into place). Find other cloth diapering communities aside from just this one to get a broader base of knowledge, and go from there.

Thanks ladies! I just wish people weren't so judgmental :/

I'm going to persevere! Xx

If you are committed to doing it, it will work out! There are some parts that require a little more effort than disposables, and some that require less. If properly fitted, you won't experience poop blowouts with cloth. I started from the day we got home from the hospital and never looked back. 14 months going strong, no regrets.

Don't listen to people trying to discourage you. It's not hard, it's not rocket science, and people did it before they had all the conveniences we have nowadays. I had friends and family trying to discourage me, too. My child was only in sposies in the hospital because they said we should bring disposables, not cloth, for the birth. (No idea why or what it is to them what you put your newborn in.)

People will tell you all sorts of stupid things - how it's better for the baby to be in disposables (although I have yet to hear any valid reasoning on this one), how reusables are worse for the environment, how your whole house will smell, how the baby will be covered in nappy rash, how you will have to boil your reusables on the stove, how your washing machine will be full of poo and all your laundry will stink of poo, how you will get poo on your hands because of reusables (obviously disposables magically change themselves so you don't have to touch anything?), how it will be more expensive to use cloth. The nonsense they spout is never-ending. Don't listen to a word they say.

I've been using cloth on my child for 20 months and I've never had any problems with stink, repelling or leaking. I've never had to strip or bleach. The few times I've had a leak, it was because I didn't fit the nappy on the baby properly (it's happened about 5 times max, plus one time when my husband put the wrap on back to front - don't ask).

Kezzy forget them!! They just don't know anything about it, they think of the old fashioned cloths and pins they don't know how cute and convenient everything is now. I too have had the "are you crazy?" comments, just have to shake it off and put it down to them not knowing about cloth diapering. I've read alot of people say it's not so hard, it's actually fun and on and on. I'm excited to try it too, and determined to make it work. Good luck!

Don't listen to people trying to discourage you. It's not hard, it's not rocket science, and people did it before they had all the conveniences we have nowadays. I had friends and family trying to discourage me, too. My child was only in sposies in the hospital because they said we should bring disposables, not cloth, for the birth. (No idea why or what it is to them what you put your newborn in.)

People will tell you all sorts of stupid things - how it's better for the baby to be in disposables (although I have yet to hear any valid reasoning on this one), how reusables are worse for the environment, how your whole house will smell, how the baby will be covered in nappy rash, how you will have to boil your reusables on the stove, how your washing machine will be full of poo and all your laundry will stink of poo, how you will get poo on your hands because of reusables (obviously disposables magically change themselves so you don't have to touch anything?), how it will be more expensive to use cloth. The nonsense they spout is never-ending. Don't listen to a word they say.

I've been using cloth on my child for 20 months and I've never had any problems with stink, repelling or leaking. I've never had to strip or bleach. The few times I've had a leak, it was because I didn't fit the nappy on the baby properly (it's happened about 5 times max, plus one time when my husband put the wrap on back to front - don't ask).

I've always just found that people are surprised that I was going to do it, and then also surprised that I am still doing it 8 or 9 months later. I think they assume it is much more of a burden than it is. No strangers have ever asked me about them or made any remarks though.

That's so awesome that your routine works so great! Makes the whole thing SO much easier right?! I wish it was like that for everyone! What is your wash routine and water type? What kind of washer do you have and which kind of diapers do you use? Others with similar variables may be helped by your kind of routine!

It really isn't as hard as people make it out to be. I've noticed that people claiming they tried but it was impossible usually didn't really bother trying - they bought a pack of flats, took one look and said no, or they forgot they also needed a wrap, or in the case of one person who assured me that it's impossible to ever dry the nappies in time, she just didn't have enough. 10 nappies for a newborn baby in winter and without a dryer just doesn't work in Britain.

My wash routine? Cold rinse, wash on 40 or occasionally 60 with a very small amount of washing powder (whatever is on offer as long as it isn’t a 2-in-1 or bio, although I have used bio on occasion) - about a teaspoon's worth, extra rinse or two (depending on how I'm feeling, what else needs doing and so on). Line dry inside or outside depending on the weather.
One thing I do is smell the nappies/inserts when they come out of the machine. If there is any smell of washing powder left, I rinse again. If I did smell pee or poo, I'd rewash, but I haven't had to yet. Oh, and I dry pail.
Water type, I honestly don't know. The kettle does get deposits after a while.
Washer- front loader, quite old and decrepit to be honest. I don't remember what brand it is, I think the name has actually faded away. I rent, so it's whatever comes with the house.
Types of nappies: a mixture of everything. Pockets, all in ones, fitteds, flats, hybrids. Basically whatever was on offer and whatever I liked the sound and look of. Material-wise, microfiber, cotton, bamboo and fleece liners.

Kezzy - if you want to use cloth, go for it. Have a look around to see what's available, don't panic, and remember that this community here will help you if you get stuck. Rachel C always responds to any nappy related questions, as do many other people. I started out with muslins and wraps and random samples. That gave me the time and opportunity to try things out, then I decided what I liked and bought more when the price was good. I love cloth nappies and I'm proud to be using them. I don't have to worry about running out, or the store running out of my preferred type/size, I don't have to lug nappies home with the rest of the shopping, or take the bin out all the time, and I feel better knowing that there are no chemical gels on or near my baby's bum. And as an extra bonus, baby and I can choose what type or pagttern we feel like putting on. Oh, and even my husband can manage most if not all cloth nappies. Washing and drying doesn't mean that much extra work. A minute to get the nappies in, 30 seconds or less to do the powder and programmr bit, 10 minutes or less to hang them up. The machine does the rest, and as for drying, just leave them for as long as needed.

Honestly nobody around me had ever used cloth diapers and I got strange looks from family members when they saw his diapers were cloth. Except my mother in law, because she used cloth back in the day.

But I find it very rewarding to avoid spending all that money on disposables, and that thousands of diapers will be left out of landfills :)

Don't be discouraged because others were, you can do it, and there are plenty of online and local resources to help you out :)

I love cloth and actually enjoy seeing them drying on the line, I love stuffing the pockets and feeling how soft the fabric is. I love seeing his little chunky bum in the beautiful fabrics. I dont think its hard, and as long as you get a wash cycle that works for your nappies its a breeze!! Ive had leaks a handful of times and they have all been my fault due to poor fitting (or OH putting one on). People will have an opinion about all aspects of your parenting....you just have to choose to let it slide off you. I consider all aspects of my parenting, and as long as lo, me and OH are happy I dont feel the need to justify anything. Initially I used to listen and worry Id made wrong choices etc. Now I nod my head, smile and dont give anyone else's views bother me. Good luck with CD, this forum is a great source of advice should you have any questions.

Thanks for the support everyone! I'll show them that I can do it :) xxxx

One more thing - don't let it get to you if the opposers are like my inlaws and blame everything on the nappies.

Baby has colic. "Is it because you're using those nappies?"
Baby is cranky. "You'd be cranky too if you had to wear those old nappies."
Baby has horrendous nappy rash due to acidic poo after trying an orange for the first time (it literally burned the skin as soon as it touched it; I watched huge angry red patches rise within seconds on her leg after she pooed in the bath). "Well no wonder, it wouldn't happen if you used those nice clean disposables."
Baby doesn't sleep. "Of course, with all that stuff between the legs."

This, and more, is what they said to me. Not nice to hear in the throes of new motherhood and all the doubts and gult and fears that came with it, but I had the sense to ignore them, thank goodness.

You'll do great, I'm sure, and we're all here to help you.

One more thing - don't let it get to you if the opposers are like my inlaws and blame everything on the nappies.

Baby has colic. "Is it because you're using those nappies?"
Baby is cranky. "You'd be cranky too if you had to wear those old nappies."
Baby has horrendous nappy rash due to acidic poo after trying an orange for the first time (it literally burned the skin as soon as it touched it; I watched huge angry red patches rise within seconds on her leg after she pooed in the bath). "Well no wonder, it wouldn't happen if you used those nice clean disposables."
Baby doesn't sleep. "Of course, with all that stuff between the legs."

This, and more, is what they said to me. Not nice to hear in the throes of new motherhood and all the doubts and gult and fears that came with it, but I had the sense to ignore them, thank goodness.

You'll do great, I'm sure, and we're all here to help you.

I'd love for anyone to say any of that to me. Would be a funny conversation, that's for sure :haha:

Haha that's funny! How annoying! I bet I'll get a lot of that! Bring it on!

Disposables haven't been in use for that long, they were not common and very expensive when I was a baby 31 years ago. So people have been using cloth for far longer and managed to survive the process!

I am not going to gloss over it and say its no work at all, but it's not enough work to phase me at all. It just becomes a part of the day. Anyway, the washing machine does most of the job, and we don't go naked because clothes are too hard to wash do we! I say that to people when they can't BELIEVE I wash nappies.

Newborn cloth nappies are the easiest as you don't even have to rinse all the poo off first, it's so liquid it just washes right out in the machine.

It's not hard. I find it really enjoyable, I love washing and hanging and stuffing and lining up all the nappies (I'm a bit OCD lol) and we have never had a poop leak in them. Wee leaks have been due to not fitting them properly or leaving them on too long. We've only been doing it a month but I wish we had started sooner! We will definitely start as soon as we are home from the hospital with the next baby. It did take a while to learn to fit them properly (YouTube proper fitting, you'd be surprised how low they go at the back!) and it's taken us a while to find a night time nappy that's absorbent enough. But now we get on great. We use all in ones during the day, or pockets, and totsbots bamboozles at night. I wash every day and then either tumble dry or hang on the line.

Disposables haven't been in use for that long, they were not common and very expensive when I was a baby 31 years ago. So people have been using cloth for far longer and managed to survive the process!

I am not going to gloss over it and say its no work at all, but it's not enough work to phase me at all. It just becomes a part of the day. Anyway, the washing machine does most of the job, and we don't go naked because clothes are too hard to wash do we! I say that to people when they can't BELIEVE I wash nappies.

Newborn cloth nappies are the easiest as you don't even have to rinse all the poo off first, it's so liquid it just washes right out in the machine.

So true!! I never thought of it like that! Definitely what I will say to people when they talk about how "hard" it's going to be

I looked into CD during pregnancy (used disposables for my 3 previous kids) and that was where I left it. After so many blowouts with this baby (first to be BF for this long) I decided to give CD a shot. The only experience I had with CD was when my sister was a baby and it was pins, squares of terry cloth and buckets of soaking, stinky nappies. I must say that I'm glad I didn't CD from the get go, just because I was already feeling overwhelmed with establishing feeding, dealing with hormones and sleep deprivation plus my other kids. But now that I have started, it is WAY easier than I thought it would be and actually kind of fun! I'm sort of "weaning" myself into it as I don't have many cloth yet and still lots of disposables left but I prefer cloth 10x more than dis already. I actually enjoy washing them and putting them back together (although once he's on solids, I may be singing a different tune lol). I haven't told anyone but I'm sure my Mum will think I'm completely off my rocker, but cloth isn't near what it used to be. Don't be discouraged, you'll probably love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->