Feeling down, weight gain

cskme_

Reaction score
PP I weighed 165. I am 23 weeks tmrw and already weigh 197. I had some thyroid complications for a month or 2 which I'm sure didn't help. I am only 5'2 and I know this can't be healthy. I'm trying my best to stay away from junk foods. I already know what a healthy balanced diet is, before becoming pregnant I had lost 30lbs and was so happy, now I have gained that back plus some. I am going to try to maintain the weight that I am at for as long as possible. I will accept gaining more weight but not an unhealthy obscene amount like I have put on so far. what I am wondering is if there is anyone out there who put on 40ish pounds by around 23 weeks and was able to cut the junk from there on and work towards healthy weight gain or maintaining the weight they were at? I just feel awful today and I need some positive stories. Thanks!

I haven't put on as much weight but just wanted to say I feel for you!
Im quite small and petite and slim, but feel like i have ballooned and feel so uncomfortable.

i think all you can do is eat healthy and exercise regularly, your body will do what it needs to do.

xx

It will be okay. There are woman who gain 50-60 lbs during their pregnancy and are able to take it off. It's a matter of time. Be kind to yourself. You can't help the thyroid problem. The only thing you can do is eat as healthy as you can and exercise as you can. The weight gain is hard on self-esteem. Just remember this is only a season.

I think if your thyroid issue is now sorted and you are fairly strict with yourself in terms of junk food your weight could stabilise. I think last pregnancy my weight gain slowed quite a bit by around 26 weeks. I'm petite and gained weight rather quick in the first few months then it got better. It's a weird stage now cause our bellies aren't huge (I'm 22 weeks) so you just feel kind of frumpy with a belly, but then when your belly get's bigger you feel more belly than anything.

I'm sorry you are feeling down! Try to remember this is only a small period of time in the big picture, and just do the best you can!

I've been feeling yuck about my weight gain too, I am on modified bed rest - I don't have to lay flat, but no exercise or walking etc. Plus, I know my little one is coming early so I want to eat as much as possible so he gains (did research, more protein, especially dairy protein = bigger baby)...its really taking a toll on me b/c I have gained a lot...I am just making plans for how I will lose this weight after baby is born. It makes me feel a little better about it.

Ok, a positive weight loss story...with my first, I was clinically underweight at my first visit/confirmation of pregnancy. I went nuts, ate whatever, all the time, and then developed severe pre-E, and swelled up like a balloon lol!!! I literally gained 100 pounds (at 5'10" I went from about 120-220!)
Immediately after the delivery, I started limiting my carbs & working out (running 30 min a day, light weights) & breastfeeding, and guess where I was 8 months later...on a beach in the Bahamas, in my old bikini :) Luckily, I didn't get crazy stretch marks lol, thank you genetics...but it can be done! And I pretty much stayed at a weight I liked after that. You can lose the weight you gain, and I wouldn't worry too much about it now, just focus on a healthy baby

With ds3 i gained so so much weight, but it was water, even my forehead was fat! :dohh: After i had him it fell of in weeks, it was no trouble to shift. Don't feel defeated, just keep being sensible and eating a good diet, and after you have the baby you can worry about it xxxx

I'm normally a slim, size 6 (uk) 5'3 25 year old. This is my 4th baby and I'm already a size 12, no doubt will get to a 14 like I did with my last baby. But I'm living proof you can always loose it later if you really put your mind to it. After my second baby I got back to my prebaby size and weight (with the extra saggy boobs and tummy but I'm totally fine with that!). Gained it all back with baby 3 and then lost half of it before gaining it back with baby 4 (close age gap). This is my final and I will definitely be trying to get back to my original size but SLOWLY and when my body is ready.
I have never weighed myself. It's cruel and what my body goes through to create life is amazing, I'm not going to give myself grief about getting 'fat' when I know I get a beautiful baby out of it in the end. Once you've healed, and settled, then think about it.
Just focus on eating healthy, so your baby stays healthy. If you want to have junk food once in a while, you'll feel less guilty knowing you ate healthy all day. Creating life is no walk in the park and sometimes crap food helps you feel better. Just in moderation! :hugs:

I'm sorry you are feeling down! Try to remember this is only a small period of time in the big picture, and just do the best you can!

I've been feeling yuck about my weight gain too, I am on modified bed rest - I don't have to lay flat, but no exercise or walking etc. Plus, I know my little one is coming early so I want to eat as much as possible so he gains (did research, more protein, especially dairy protein = bigger baby)...its really taking a toll on me b/c I have gained a lot...I am just making plans for how I will lose this weight after baby is born. It makes me feel a little better about it.

Ok, a positive weight loss story...with my first, I was clinically underweight at my first visit/confirmation of pregnancy. I went nuts, ate whatever, all the time, and then developed severe pre-E, and swelled up like a balloon lol!!! I literally gained 100 pounds (at 5'10" I went from about 120-220!)
Immediately after the delivery, I started limiting my carbs & working out (running 30 min a day, light weights) & breastfeeding, and guess where I was 8 months later...on a beach in the Bahamas, in my old bikini :) Luckily, I didn't get crazy stretch marks lol, thank you genetics...but it can be done! And I pretty much stayed at a weight I liked after that. You can lose the weight you gain, and I wouldn't worry too much about it now, just focus on a healthy baby

Thank you so much! I saw a girl that I know the other day, she's short like me, around 5'2 and by the end of her pregnancy weighed 220lbs.
Her little boy is about 1 now and she is tiny!!
I'm just happy that I lost weight PP. I was 195 before I lost weight, so I could only imagine what I would be sitting at now if I didn't, and its also nice to know that I do know how to lose the weight, hopefully with breastfeeding it falls off me ! (wishful thinking lol)

I think if your thyroid issue is now sorted and you are fairly strict with yourself in terms of junk food your weight could stabilise. I think last pregnancy my weight gain slowed quite a bit by around 26 weeks. I'm petite and gained weight rather quick in the first few months then it got better. It's a weird stage now cause our bellies aren't huge (I'm 22 weeks) so you just feel kind of frumpy with a belly, but then when your belly get's bigger you feel more belly than anything.

That's good to know! hopefully I can stabilize it. I'm ok with gaining more weight, I have accepted it. I just don't want to completely tip the scales and I was worried that at this rate I would be 300lbs by November lol.

I'm normally a slim, size 6 (uk) 5'3 25 year old. This is my 4th baby and I'm already a size 12, no doubt will get to a 14 like I did with my last baby. But I'm living proof you can always loose it later if you really put your mind to it. After my second baby I got back to my prebaby size and weight (with the extra saggy boobs and tummy but I'm totally fine with that!). Gained it all back with baby 3 and then lost half of it before gaining it back with baby 4 (close age gap). This is my final and I will definitely be trying to get back to my original size but SLOWLY and when my body is ready.
I have never weighed myself. It's cruel and what my body goes through to create life is amazing, I'm not going to give myself grief about getting 'fat' when I know I get a beautiful baby out of it in the end. Once you've healed, and settled, then think about it.
Just focus on eating healthy, so your baby stays healthy. If you want to have junk food once in a while, you'll feel less guilty knowing you ate healthy all day. Creating life is no walk in the park and sometimes crap food helps you feel better. Just in moderation! :hugs:

Thank you! I have started this week drinking at least 2L of water per day (something that I find so hard to do), and taking my dog for longer walks in the evening after work. Also I am cutting out junk food, with the exception that on the weekends I will treat myself to an ice cream or something with DH. It worked for me before, its just harder to stick with not eating junk now, but once I get in a routine it should be fine. I'm even charging my fitbit now to see if I am getting in enough walking in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->