Feeling guilty about taking time off work

Elizabean

Reaction score
I am currently lying on the lounge at home as I was feeling really off this morning, but I'm feeling guilty about taking the time off work.

I know it is silly because I need to do what is best for both bub and I, but I feel bad for letting work down. I haven't told them yet as I'm only just 7 weeks, so instead of feeling like I'm a sick pregnant woman, I feel like a slacker!

My boss is so lovely too, so he wouldn't even care and its all in my head!

I'm planning on telling my parents this weekend, and I might tell my boss the week after just to allay my guilt about taking time off.

Are there any other ladies dealing with thoughts like this?

I'm the same. I got sent home due to a migraine yesterday, this morning I still had it.

I even woke up crying in the night after a nightmare that my boss was shouting at me for being ill. Called him this morning and he was fine about it. So lovely.

I just feel so guilty and hate that I'm letting people down.

I was in hospital for a week early on and I still felt guilty then!!

My boss still doesn't know yet. Trying to keep it from work as long as possible.

I am currently lying on the lounge at home as I was feeling really off this morning, but I'm feeling guilty about taking the time off work.

I know it is silly because I need to do what is best for both bub and I, but I feel bad for letting work down. I haven't told them yet as I'm only just 7 weeks, so instead of feeling like I'm a sick pregnant woman, I feel like a slacker!

My boss is so lovely too, so he wouldn't even care and its all in my head!

I'm planning on telling my parents this weekend, and I might tell my boss the week after just to allay my guilt about taking time off.

Are there any other ladies dealing with thoughts like this?

I feel the same. I threw up on the weekend and I haven't been the same since. I've been feeling awful and before this I was already feeling pretty crappy. I realized I had 5 paid sick days I've never taken and I'm on my 3rd right now. I've basically left my bed very little in the past 5 days, two of those thankfully being weekend days. I work from home with my OH which might sound luxurious but he is the most non-understanding guy about my pregnancy, so the only thing that is allowing me to get by with these sick days being off is that the law actually grants me 5 sick days and 10 pregnancy-related days off (though the 10 are unpaid, but still good to have, since you can't be fired for taking these days and taking "too many")

Maybe it is wise to tell your boss so that you retain your job security? I'm not sure which country you're in but there are probably laws similar to those here in New Zealand that grant you a certain number of pregnancy-related days off work and you may also have sick days you haven't used, and then if you just tell your boss what is happening, they have to be understanding.

I was off sick last week for one day.the. Isn't before we went out in the car and I was sat in the back which really didn't help when I was a lady feeling sick. That night I didn't s.eep feeling sick. I start work at 7 and rand work at 5:30 to say I would t be in. Felt terrible as I work in a hospital and knew they needed me but I just couldn't face all the smells, sights and heat. Felt so bad and work were pissed as they rang that evening to ask when I would be back not if I was ok. They know I am pregnant as well as told them because of the nature of my job

Last time i was off sick for 5 weeks due to morning sickness. At that time i was a ta and there was no way i could have moved from class to class or sat through a lesson... I was signed off before telling my department i was pg but think most of them guessed from my absence...

Luckily my boss is also a friend so my situation may be a bit easier but, I have left work early many days in the past few weeks. I did tell him I was pregnant at about 4 weeks. (He also knows about both of my losses.) We are also in the middle of slow season so timing is perfect. Since afternoons are harder for me than mornings (I get stomach aches and tired) I have been leaving around 4:00. If I can work from home I do. Honestly, telling him I am pregnant has made it a lot easier since he understands that I am not slacking but really not feeling well. I think he gets a kick out of it actually.

:wave: Hi, I was also in this situation, I took lots of time off in the first tri & I felt really awful, I thought I would get the sack to be honest but work have been really good about it & say that the baby is the most important thing & that is very true. Try not to stress coz if your anything like me the more I stressed the more it made me sick :hugs:

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like this.

I really think telling just my boss is the way to go (I just want to tell my family first). I am 100% sure he doesn't mind me taking time off at all, even without knowing the reason I'm sick. I'd just prefer not to fib about it any more.

I'm not worried about my job security at all- I work in HR so I know all the legalities. A girl from my team also just returned from mat leave, and my boss has basically created a new part time job for her as her role changed whilst she was away. Work is paying for her to re-train also, so they are very supportive.

:hugs:I hope everyone else starts feeling better soon :hugs:

Don't feel guilty, pregnancy can be brutal lol
I would have had to totally quit work ( if I weren't already a SAHM lol ) because I've been extremely ill I can barely even function.
Rest up and I hope you feel better soon :)

I'm the same. I was really sick and ended up in hospital on fluids. Work has ended up giving me nearly 4 weeks off work using sick leave and annual leave to take me through to the end of the first trimester. I was so guilty and worried but my boss has been amazing. The thing to remember is that we need to put baby first. If resting is what you need to do then work can come second. Hope you feel better soon :hugs:

I took a couple of days off as I felt so awful, unfortunately my boss made me feel very guilty (she knows I'm pregnant) and gave me the impression she was thinking "you're pregnant, not ill" I felt very guilty and also quite disappointed as she's had children, so thought she'd be more understanding

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->