Feeling like something is wrong (updated after scan)

i have everything crossed for you huni xxxx

I hope everything works out for you hun :hugs:

Thank you for your kind replies :hugs:

I have to admit i don't know much about HCG levels but i did some reading online before i went for the first lot of blood taking and all the sites i have read seem to suggest that for 7-8 weeks i should be looking at over 7000 so immediately that she said mine was 3484 i was devastated...i feel like it is impossible for it to be so low and everything be fine...it is exactly a week since our scan, so if my levels are only that now but they are rising (which we won't know until tomorrow) then when we went for the scan they would have been EXTREMELY low then.

I have been trying to find something that says how high your HCG needs to be for there to be a heartbeat detectable...as obviously if it was 10,000 or something like that then we would know that they are on their way down now...but if it is only a 1,000 for e.g. needed for a HB then it would give us some hope...but we have both been looking online and found nothing and now i am too upset and fed up to keep looking.

It seems like it will be a lifetime until the doctor calls tomorrow, and in the meantime we are just waiting and it is horrible. I keep going through scenarios in my mind, both happy and sad...:cry:

Hun thinking of you hope everything works out for you xx

Fingers crossed for you. Something is telling me you'll be ok. xx

A single HCG value doesn't give enough information about the health or viability of the pregnancy. Within the first 2-4 weeks after fertilization, HCG usually doubles every 48-72 hours. That usually corresponds to HCG levels below 1200 IU. From 1200-6000, the HCG usually takes 72-96 hours to double. Above 6000 IU, the hCG often takes over four days to double. So, the rate of increase in HCG levels normally varies as a pregnancy progresses. Normal HCG values vary up to 20 times between different pregnancies, however, and an HCG that does not double every two to three days does not necessarily indicate a problem with the pregnancy. Some normal pregnancies will have quite low levels of HCG, and result in perfect babies.

Pregnancies that will miscarry and ectopic (tubal) pregnancies are likely to show lower levels and slower rises, but often have normal levels initially. Sometimes it takes three or more HCG levels at least 48 hours apart to get an idea how a pregnancy is progressing.

Once the HCG levels are above 1000-1500 IU, vaginal sonography usually identifies the presence of an intrauterine pregnancy. At that point an ectopic pregnancy is effectively ruled out. Once the pregnancy is visible on ultrasound, further HCG testing is less reliable than ultrasound for monitoring a pregnancy, as the variations in HCG levels are frequently misleading and cause unnecessary worry. Since normal levels of HCG can vary tremendously, after 5-6 weeks of pregnancy, sonogram findings are much more predictive of pregnancy outcome than are HCG levels. Once the gestational sac is seen, most doctors will monitor with ultrasounds rather than drawing HCG. Subsequent monitoring with ultrasound should reveal normal growth of the gestational sac, and the development of a fetal heartbeat by 6 to 7 weeks' gestation (6-7 weeks after LMP). Once fetal activity has been detected by ultrasound, the chance of miscarriage is usually less than 10%.

My general recommendations regarding the appropriate use of HCG testing are summarized below. By following these guidelines, unnecessary testing that might lead to needless worry might be avoided, and just the right information will be obtained.

1. If you're pain-free and you're not bleeding and you're at low-risk for an ectopic pregnancy, try to avoid the temptation to monitor HCG levels. Generally no bleeding (no news) is good news. The pregnancy is on autopilot, and there's little you can do to influence it at this stage. Try to relax and wait and see.
2. IF HCG monitoring is indicated, try not to read too much into the absolute numbers and rates of increase of the HCG levels. Trust your doctor's knowledge and experience to tell you if and when to repeat the tests, when and how to react to the numbers, and when to have an ultrasound. I can't tell you how many patients I've had who convinced themselves that their pregnancy was doomed based on inappropriate interpretation of HCG levels, only to discover that everything is fine when an appropriately timed ultrasound is performed.
3. Once an intrauterine pregnancy is visible on ultrasound, do not put any faith in HCG measurements. Frequently pregnancies and their HCG levels don't fit the mold, and the numbers don't increase the way they "ought" to. Rely on time, and predictable ultrasound changes to determine pregnancy viability.

So basically ultrasound is more indicative of what is happening and HCG level may not necessarily mean much at this stage-seemd it is used before you can see anything useful on u/s so don't worry! I read another post from someone that their HCG was 21000 and they couldn't see a hearbeat (mine got to well over 16000 when I had a blighted ovum at 8weeks so no baby no heartbeat) so it is a good sign that you have seen that.

Thankyou all so so much. That was incredibly informative lizziebell and really reassuring, thanks :hugs:

I have spoken to my doctor this morning and updated my original post :hugs:

Is that level normal for 8wks hun, I have no idea if thats good or bad? Isnt 91,000 very high? That would indicate twins to me :shock: but then what do I know :rofl: hope they scan you again huni xxxx

Is that level normal for 8wks hun, I have no idea if thats good or bad? Isnt 91,000 very high? That would indicate twins to me :shock: but then what do I know :rofl: hope they scan you again huni xxxx

Thanks hun :hugs: I *think* that is about right for how far along i am...but like lizziebells post says, there seems to be a lot of argument about how useful hcg measurements actually are and what is "normal"

It definitely isn't twins because we had the early scan last week and there was just the one little otter-shaped love egg so far as i could see!

Thanks hun :hugs: I *think* that is about right for how far along i am...but like lizziebells post says, there seems to be a lot of argument about how useful hcg measurements actually are and what is "normal"

It definitely isn't twins because we had the early scan last week and there was just the one little otter-shaped love egg so far as i could see!

Well thats good then hun really really hope everything goes swimmingly with this pregnancy hun, dont want you to come back to team angels ttc I want to see you in team angels with a big bulging belly :winkwink: xxx

Rebaby I'm sorry you're having such a rollercoaster ride - the post from Lizzie (which was fantastic by the way, Lizzie) was very reassuring. I think the trouble is these days we "know" too much and have access to so much more information that its difficult not to try to self-diagnose all the time isn't it. I know I do. My hubby always takes the pee and calls me Dr Debbie. (oh how the hours fly by... hehehee.).
From all the bits and pieces I've read, once you see the h/b you are (pretty much) home and dry - which is fantastic. Your doctor sounds great too - we need more like him.
Dxx
xx

Wow i cant believe she read the results wrong! Good luck with your scan tomorrow.

Oh that's better news! that's not the best situation to be reading results wrong is it - she caused you all that heartache! Good luck for the scan tomorrow!

Thank you :hugs: i know, i can't believe it either, i thought that kind of thing only happened in the movies! It wasn't even like she read it a little bit wrong either :dohh: I would be really angry, as i did spend the whole of yesterday in a right state over it all, but to be honest i am feeling so relieved that she WAS wrong, and trying to remain all Zen-like for the scan tomorrow!

All fingers, toes etc crossed!

Thank you for all the replies :hugs:

Good luck tomorrow Rebaby - update us won't you.

D
xx

Oh rebaby cant believe she read it wrong!!! Am glad them results seem really high to me too and there is such a variation between hcg levels too.Good luck for the scan tomorrow am sure everything will be just fine xxx :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->