Fetal movements

Tyred

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm three days shy of third tri and very excited to be posting here. :happydance:

My question though is - HOW do we keep track of fetal movements? What exactly are we supposed to do? I was told "just be aware of your baby's usual pattern of movements" -but I have no idea what the "usual pattern" is .. I don't think there is a usual pattern. If there is I haven't noticed it.

So what do you guys do?

Should I just take two hours out of the day and see how long it takes to count ten movements? (Like one iphone app advised me).

Do I just count all movements in that two hour period?

Do I count all movements throughout the day?

All help very much appreciated!

Honestly, I never counted my fetal movements. It's something like, you want to feel her/him move or twitch at least ten times an hour or something like that. But my baby girls always moving so I'm like, "ten times my ass". Basically it's to make sure everything goes smooth. Beware if you notice less movement then usual

Eh, I never took much stock in counting movements. I feel baby move all the time and when baby has been slow or I've been worried, I drink some water and lay down to see if baby starts moving again. I don't think it's nessesary to track them.

Ten movements in two hours is what my midwife has told me. Theres apps you can download to keep a record of the kicks.

I wondered the same thing at first. Then I started paying closer attention to lo's movements. Her pattern is she moves ever morning when I wake up (sweet slow sleepy movements) she moves anytime I sit down (its like she says"don't sit on me" or "you're squishing me mom!" ) and then she moves again after lunch and if I drink or eat anything too sweet.

Honestly, it gets to a point where you stop paying attention. Whether you're busy, sleeping, distracted, ect. My rule is just if I haven't noticed her moving in a while, or I get worried for whatever reason, I lay on my side (my research concludes that the left side is best for this) and just focus on her movements. If little one doesn't move 10 times in 1 to 2 hours, then I'd be worried and call Emergency for advice...this hasn't happened though, when I try, I can always get her moving.

The only time I actually do the "10 count" thing is when I feel like she's been moving less in the day. At the beginning of 3rd tri she definitely had a schedule, now it's just when she feels like it. But if I feel less movement for a while I'll have a snack and drink some ice water then lay down and count out kicks until I hit the 10 mark that my midwife suggested.

Dd wriggled so much I didn't have to count if that makes sense. There were a few days when I hasn't felt her move for a while when I'd put an ice cold can of coke on my tummy and she'd soon give me a good kick!

As baby gets bigger, there is less movement because there's less space but you get used to the change gradually.

I'd say whenever you're ensure, just call maternity as they'd rather see you ten times unnecessarily than not at all when you need a check.x

I find my baby has a pattern, after breakfast he is so active for a good hour, also at dinner time he likes a good wiggle.

For instance today I felt no movement after breakfast or dinner so I called the maternity unit and they seen me today for monitoring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->