fifty shades of grey

I feel like I'm the only woman alive who absolutely despises the books... :wacko:

I read a lot of literature... I'm even a linguistics student. The books are terrible. The author has no writing style. She's an awful author and as far as I'm concerned trash like that shouldn't be published. There are PLENTY of smutty stories and novels that are actually GOOD and WORTH reading! I did not find this to be one of them. It's poorly written and poorly edited. :(

I agree!! :thumbup::thumbup:

I am reading them again and the more i read the more i dislike Ana. She actually isnt very nice to Grey and is pretty stupid. Constantly glaring at women who look at him yet gets annoyed when he gets jealous.

Its like she is egging for a argument alot too. She knows he is paranoid but its like she goes out of her way to do stupid things which she knows will piss him off.

I found it poorly written and not that raunchy either? :blush:

my bf hears more of it than me from woman at wrk and said im not to get it :rofl:

Just picked it up will finally read it to see what the fuss is about

I must admit though as much as i liked the first and second book, Im really struggling to be bothered to read the 3rd book!

It been sat on my shelf for a good few days now and today I watched Jeremy Kyle than actually being arsed to read it!

:flow: xxx

I didn't mind the first book but the 2nd & 3rd was too boring (had to read them to see what happened though). The 'action' parts of the story (ex sub/ex boss) just didn't have any purpose in the storyline IMO.

I'd love to know how Mr Grey became a CEO of a multi billion $ company when he seems to have spent 80% of his time in the Room....

Ana just pissed me off.....she had no depth to her character at all. Reminded me of Bella in Twilight. Just too 'innocent little girly' for me.

Might look at getting the Tudors though!

I didn't mind the first book but the 2nd & 3rd was too boring (had to read them to see what happened though). The 'action' parts of the story (ex sub/ex boss) just didn't have any purpose in the storyline IMO.

I'd love to know how Mr Grey became a CEO of a multi billion $ company when he seems to have spent 80% of his time in the Room....

Ana just pissed me off.....she had no depth to her character at all. Reminded me of Bella in Twilight. Just too 'innocent little girly' for me.

It was only a weekend thing befor Ana came along

It was only a weekend thing befor Ana came along

Ahhhh shows how much attention I was paying to the books!

I must admit though as much as i liked the first and second book, Im really struggling to be bothered to read the 3rd book!

It been sat on my shelf for a good few days now and today I watched Jeremy Kyle than actually being arsed to read it!

:flow: xxx

i like your avatar!!!!!!!!

Yea its so awful its made her a millionaire lol

I struggled through them tbh. A part of me wanted to like them, to be in on the whole hype of it (feeling a bit left out :lol:) - but they were just :shrug:
Firstly, I don't like how she basically lifted the characters from another series of books, edited them a little and sold them on with some sex. Where's the imagination? It left the characters lacking depth. I literally did not want Christian to talk anymore about his childhood, I cringed everytime.
The unrealistic storyline. Remember when you were an intern and became the boss two weeks later? Story of my life :lol:
The fact that the author is blatantly British, using British terminology and writing from the point of view of an American girl. Everytime it said Seattle I'd be like 'NO! You are not convincing anyone that you are American!'.
I'm not getting the Christian Grey obsession either. He seems creepy and has FAR too much baggage. Where's the appeal!??

I'm not a book snob, not even slightly but these are terribly written. I think the only part of the books I enjoyed was the emailing - I thought it was cute and a bit different. The style of writing is very juvenile though, I thought - despite the authors determination to use big words though bless her, her thesaurus has clearly taken a battering :lol:
I don't care how much of a millionaire she is, doesn't convince me her books aren't incredibly mediocre with the distraction of sex scenes to get people talking about it and buying it. I'd love to see her write a novel without all the smut that doesn't read like a 15 year old's diary.

I struggled through them tbh. A part of me wanted to like them, to be in on the whole hype of it (feeling a bit left out :lol:) - but they were just :shrug:
Firstly, I don't like how she basically lifted the characters from another series of books, edited them a little and sold them on with some sex. Where's the imagination? It left the characters lacking depth. I literally did not want Christian to talk anymore about his childhood, I cringed everytime.
The unrealistic storyline. Remember when you were an intern and became the boss two weeks later? Story of my life :lol:
The fact that the author is blatantly British, using British terminology and writing from the point of view of an American girl. Everytime it said Seattle I'd be like 'NO! You are not convincing anyone that you are American!'.
I'm not getting the Christian Grey obsession either. He seems creepy and has FAR too much baggage. Where's the appeal!??

I'm not a book snob, not even slightly but these are terribly written. I think the only part of the books I enjoyed was the emailing - I thought it was cute and a bit different. The style of writing is very juvenile though, I thought - despite the authors determination to use big words though bless her, her thesaurus has clearly taken a battering :lol:
I don't care how much of a millionaire she is, doesn't convince me her books aren't incredibly mediocre with the distraction of sex scenes to get people talking about it and buying it. I'd love to see her write a novel without all the smut that doesn't read like a 15 year old's diary.
I think you just became my new favourite person. :haha:

This is what I've been trying to point out to all of my friends who are "enjoying" the novels. I just don't understand the hype over something written so poorly. There's way, way better smutty novels that can be found that actually deserve the attention that this series has gotten. I think you might enjoy this picture I found the other day :haha:

https://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/560947_10151118080054669_559362869_n.jpg

I love the book and everyone has their options but tbh more people like it that dont otherwise it wouldnt keep selling as i am sure people have read reviews on it and still bought it :) Its not the best books i have read worse

I skimmed past the sex bits come the second book. Its ok, I don't think that its very well written.

It is very repetitive (the writing and sex scenes) and you get to a point when :roll: yeah yeah, so you explode around him.

I wouldn't read it again.

I'm a real book-nut. I tend to have at least 3 or 4 books on the go at any one time and will read most things.

I think that it sold a lot of copies based on the hype surrounding it - i bought them because i wanted to know what all the fuss was about and i didn't have anything else to read at the time.

I have to confess that i did enjoy reading them. I would say i preferred the 2nd book out of all of them.
I agree though that they weren't exactly well written - it did seem as though a fairly young person had written them rather than a mature adult. The sex did get a bit boring after a while and i was glad that it wasn't as frequent in the 2nd and 3rd books. OH got to enjoy the fruits of the book though as i was up for it slightly more frequently than usual lol.
I will more than likely read them again - i've lent them to my sister at the moment so i'll have to wait for a while.

Realistic? I have no idea but tbh i'm not bothered as it didn't read it expecting some brilliant work of literacy. I read it for a bit of fun and to help myself wind down after a busy day etc. If i was expecting something amazing that i'd go for a classic rather than a chick-lit book! Yeah she's sold a lot of books but that doesn't actually make you a good writer - it means that your PR company works!

They where alright. But tbh i skipped most of the sexy bits as they where all pretty much the same x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->