First birthday party invite, present question

emyandpotato

Reaction score
LO got his first birthday party invite for a friend's party and he's really excited about it, as am I TBH! It's a friend from his childminder's and I don't know the mum. Little boy will be turning four. I sent his mum a text asking what he'd like and she said anything superhero. I didn't wanna go along the Batman/Superman route as although my LO loves all that tack I wasn't sure if the mum would appreciate it... I dunno, I know loads of themed stuff can be overwhelming and annoying; we get it with our LO and Cars/Planes themed everything! I've instead bought him a superhero cape on Etsy with his initial on it. It's a really simple felt one, nothing fancy. Do you think this would be okay? It was £12. This is a normal present amount, right? I don't want to mess up and look like I haven't made an effort.

That sounds lovely! My budget is £5 for presents, just to the amount you get invited to once LO started school. For close friends of LO I would spend nearer £10. X

Oh that's good to know! I saw a comment on a Guardian article mentioning presents that said £35-£50, and less than £35 and the child is uninvited from other parties and other parents are 'warned'! He is probably LO's best friend and they play together for hours at the childminder's; I just don't know his mum!

£35 on a party invite present?! That's mad! I have 3 children, imagine if I spent that on every party invite they got, I'd be broke! £12 is the perfect amount and an awesome idea for a gift!! Love it.

I think he'll love it! It's outside the box while still keeping in mind his interests.

I think that is a great idea, and thoughtful. Bit different from the usual superhero stuff like Batman etc.

I usually spend up to £10 on a present, give or take a little :)

I think that is a great idea, and thoughtful. Bit different from the usual superhero stuff like Batman etc.

I usually spend up to £10 on a present, give or take a little :)

I think I'd spend £5-£10 if it was just a kid from school who invited everyone but he adores this kid and I'd like them to still see each other after LO stops going to the childminder in July so was more concerned that I'd normally be about an appropriate gift.

£35 on a party invite present?! That's mad! I have 3 children, imagine if I spent that on every party invite they got, I'd be broke! £12 is the perfect amount and an awesome idea for a gift!! Love it.

I know, I thought it was crazy! Hopefully the £35+ rule is only the case in posh inner-London circles.

I have a £5 budget too. Tbh if we got 'warned' for not spending enough I'd see it as a blessing as that would save me so much money lol :blush:

That sounds like an awesome gift. I tend to buy stuff from argos 2 for £15 and just keep some at home for boy/girl. I bet his mum will be so appreciative of the effort put in.

My son is into superhero stuff and he would think that's a great present :)

I think the cost is about right too.

Neither of mine get invited to many parties so I would tend to spend £10-15 in my sons best friend and £8-10 on other parties he goes to. For DD I spend around £5-10 depending on if I bag a bargain or not.

£35 is an insane amount if you ask me. We only spend £50 on our own children so to me it seems wrong spending £35 on children's friends.

I generally spend £10 on party presents, maybe a little more if it is a close friend or I am friends with the mum, but £15 would be absolute maximum.

Sounds great! I also spend around £10 on presents for birthday parties.

That's an awesome present Emy. I'm sure he will love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->