First day back as a teacher

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by cupcake, Sep 6, 2009.

1. cupcake

cupcake Mommy of a gorgeous boy!

Well today was my first day back at work and it did not go great.
    My job fell through just before I was meant to start Sept 1st, so on Thursday morning i got a call to go interview for a job teaching in elementary school, i have not taught little ones before but I wanted to go back to work so I thought why not. They told me to start sunday, no books, no idea who I will be teaching nothing! So I went in this morning at 8 and they threw me right into 3rd grade who had no English ( the subject i teach) books, I did my best but I found the discipline very hard. The kids taught non stop and although I said to be quiet, walked around the room, tried to stop until there was quiet it still didnt do much. I never thought of myself as weak at discipline, but I guess I was. One kid also was kicking another kid and so I took them apart but afterward i thought oh no, I am not supposed to touch the kids, so I am worried I will get into trouble for this. I just don't know what to do to be more effective in discipline. I know next time I teach Tuesday I have to lay down the law or I am going to lose things. Anyway thats me...

2. Pops

Pops Proud Mum & Wifey

:hugs:

I always wanted to be a teacher but the day I was due to send off my UCAS forms I changed my mind and to this day, I have never regretted it.

I admire all of you teachers so much as I just don't have it in me.

Hopefully things get better for you from now on in :hugs:

xxx

3. Alexas Mommy

Alexas Mommy Well-Known Member

Aw, kids can be tough-especially hard when they are not your own kids, and can do limited things to get them to behave. Good luck on your next day of teaching :)

4. Vickie

Vickie Hannah & Rhys <3

5. Waiting4Bump

Waiting4Bump Well-Known Member

:hugs::hugs:

I'm with you on the discipline. It is really hard to know what to do for the best. But I'm sure everything will be fine hun! :hugs:

I only work in a pre-school, but it's really hard still. The children never used to listen & it was just genuinely really hard work. Now, it's great. The older children have all gone to school & the younger ones, well most of them listen! It just takes time for you to get used to them, & how best to get them to behave, & also for them to get used to you. Things will get easier though!

Hope Tuesday is better for you! x

6. princess_bump

princess_bump Happy Wife & Mumma!

:hugs: stick with it honey and i'm sure your'll do amazingly! it is tough, but i think if you lay down the law at the beginning, and be fair and consistent then you'll be fine :hugs: xx