First food?

MelliPaige

Leo's Mommy
Reaction score
I was thinking about starting my boy with avocado, I love it and its so good for us, but my mom said I need to try something sweeter (like carrots) or he won't eat.

What do you think? What was your LOs first food?

If it matters, I'm going to try blw

No no you're right. Bland foods first. You don't want to offer them sweet foods so they eat for the sake of it. You want them to eat because they need to eat xx

How do you go about starting? He's not quite ready yet, but I have no idea how to offer it or looks for signs that he's ready besides that he will be between 4-6 months.

Don't worry about blandness-that's not what baby led weaning is about. We started my eldest on banana and roast courgettes. Just whatever veg you're putting in your own meals, leave some in larger chunks and throw it in their direction. You also don't need to just give one food at a time-if you make low salt meals, you can just give them a portion. The baby led weaning cookbook is fab for ideas. And the main book is good to read to reassure you of the process. BLW is fab and well worth sticking with. I look forward to doing it again soon! :)

And as for when to start, the signs are sitting with minimal support, good hand eye coordintion and loss of tongue thrust reflex. These usually occur around 6 months. What we did was sit DS in a highchair once he could sit, and just pop food in front of him. The fab thing with BLW is that you don't have to 'decide' when they're ready. Once they can eat, they can eat. Because they're putting the food into their own mouths, they're in control. They won't start until their system is ready for food :thumbup: I would really reccomend the BLW book by Gill Rapley. It explains all the stages and what you can expect and how it all works. An interesting read :)

Hi Melli :)

I don't think your Mum is necessarily right, although my daughter did like sweeter foods from a young age. My son is 5 months old and not eating meals yet but I let him try things - he has not liked any of the fruit puree pouches he's tried at all but has so far enjoyed: hard boiled yolk, mashed banana, ready brek (doesn't like baby cereals), spinach - frozen, it's very mushy and low sugar Farleys with milk. If his sister is having it and it doesn't need blending he tries it ;) if he doesn't want it, no worries. I don't think you need to put too much thought into it, if they like it and it's not harming them it doesn't matter too much. By 6 months old my daughter would take anything she liked off of my plate if she was sitting next to me (she learnt to sit at 4 months). Won't cut any of my little boys milk until 6-7 months, he's just exploring tastes and a spoon at the moment. I don't feed every day either, he can try one or two things one day and then not try anything for the next 4 days.

No pressure Mama!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->