First ivf march 2014! Please join me!

No my insurance covers nothing at all. Not even clomid! And yes I agree it does suck. Just adds another stress to this situation. I can deduct medical expenses on my taxes though. I'm self employed and get a pretty good deduction for it, although it doesn't help with coming up with the money! And yes I did make the appt with the other RE, but now my dh and I have talked and think maybe we will stick with our current re. We really do trust her and she diagnosed our problem after 1 visit with her and we had been trying with another dr for 3 years. We have a week to think about it and cancel the other appt if needed.

Were you upset about paying for the iui's? It's unfortunate they didn't check all avenues before having you go through that needlessly. I also hate that for some of us its all about money. Have you checked into any grant programs or possible trials? The grant programs I found are for childless couples and even though my husband has no children since I do it counts us out.

Yes I've looked into every possible avenue, even clinical trials. And yes the grants I found wouldn't apply since I have a dd. how many children do you have?
I'm not upset with doing the iuis etc, from what ive researched it seems like the antibodies aren't something they usually look for unless treatments have failed or a S/A shows agglutination. The previous ones didn't show it. His first 2 showed high WBC and low motility, he was treated with antibiotics and his motility went up to normal levels and the WBC decreased. So we truly thought we were just dealing with an infection/motility issue and iui would work. The most recent S/A showed agglutination so they decided to look closer and bam, 94% antibodies. I feel like we followed the natural path seeing a dr in our town and trying inexpensive treatments first. The nearest RE is 3 hours away. Honestly until very recently I thought ivf would be a deal breaker, that we wouldn't do it bc it's too expensive and I'm too afraid of meds. But suddenly I started thinking I would totally do it if I could afford it, and then when all of your other options are taken away you find a way to afford it damn it!! Lol.
So your only issue is tubal? Blockage or? Seems like you have a pretty good chance of success too.

Yes its funny how you find a way somehow even when it seems so out of reach. 3 hours is quite a ways away will your Dr in town do monitoring so less travel? I had my tube tied after my 3rd child. I had gotten divorced from a real ass**** and was raising them on my own (best kids ever) hindsight as they say is always 20/20. They're 17,15,and 12. My husband now has no children and we'll be married 7 yrs in July. We paid out of pocket for my reversal which has been a long debacle and it feels like time is running out for me to keep trying on our own and I HATED the clomid. Ivf drugs had no side effects for me compared to the clomid.

I agree, clomid was worse than the bravelle injections I did. I think that's what made me think I could do it.
I'm sure my dr here could do monitoring, but I'm not sure I trust them. And I'm not sure how that would effect the cost, bc all monitoring is included in the price. So I'll just drive back and forth, and possibly spend a few nights at the end. I'm going to take off work for a week or 2 anyway. Just so I don't have to deal with the stress.
And I get it, I love my dd so much, I just feel like my family isn't complete. My dh adopted my dd but he has none of his own. And I want her to have siblings. I never thought that would be my one chance

I think it's awesome that he adopted her. I don't like driving and it stresses me out. I live in St.Paul and it stressed me out going to Mpls. everyday. This clinic I am going to now is only like 7 mins away and no highway. It would be great if you could stay there. I almost feel a little bad for my future child(ren) because of all the reminders of how much they cost us Lol. At my clinic if you live far your ob can do the monitoring and send it to them for them to review and make changes and for most they are lucky because if that isn't included insurance will probably cover it because it's done at the ob and they don't bill it as infertility. I just got a notice that school is canceled again tomorrow because it's going to be so cold again. I'll be lucky if I can even afford my electric/gas bill at this rate!

It's 63 degrees here right now, and tomorrow it will drop to 0. Typical midwest weather.
I look at it like our future children will know how hard we worked to get them here! I saw a funny ecard saying "I'm sorry I spent your college tuition trying to concieve you" lol!
Since I have private insurance, my deductible is sky high. In the thousands. So even if it was a covered charge, I would still be paying for it...so I will just suck it up and drive there. Do you know what day your clinic transfers? Do they all have a protocol or does it depend on embryo quality? Such as I think my RE said she would transfer them on day 5. However the walls were closing in during that convo as she had just told us the news so I have a lot of questions about what she even said.

Yes some of it was so overwhelming I couldn't even think straight either. Now I try to write my questions in my phone as I think of them or I will forget to ask. My clinic transfers when it's the best time. I have talked to lots if women who have done either day 2,3 or 5. It depends on how the embryos are doing. It's crazy though because a lot of women have a day 3 transfer with not great quality embryos and the rest don't make it freeze and they still have healthy beautiful babies. Seems like even the grades don't make a difference. My Dr wanted a day 3 but I asked to leave it up to the embryologist and mine went to day 5 and the others were frozen on day 6. You really never know. Have you decided how many to transfer or do they have a specific by age? It will be -22 tonight and it will feel like -45 with windchill. It's so windy now it's ridiculous.

They said 1-2 transferred and that we will need to discuss and think about 2 as it ups the chance of twins. We will absolutely do 2. I would do 3 if they would let me. What about you?

I can do 3 if they're 3 day and 2 if they are 5 day. If I had twins I would ecstatic but honestly I would still like the luckiest woman in the world with one healthy baby. I know the possibilities of complications with twins but would be so happy they would have each other to grow up with. I will be happy with whatever God gives me. Will you do pgd testing? I know it's expensive.

Thanks. And no I don't think I will, but what exactly is it? And when do they do it?
I would be so happy with twins or 1 as well. I really hope for twins.

It's genetic testing on embryos. It wouldn't have helped in my case because because they don't test for it. You can also learn the sex which I could care less about.

Hi Ladies:

Just to put my two cents and I hope it helps you both as I have had the same predicament. Even if one has a lot of money to spend IVF is not cheap. Here in CA, we paid $11,500.00 (all out of pocket) for two tries and it does not include the medication and other additional services such as ICSI, Assisted Hatching or PGD. I have kids from prior relationship and my clinic told me about this compassionate program and I ended up paying zero for my first try. However my first try was not successful.

In my first attempt, I had 11 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized and two matured. we transferred 2 grade AA embryos to me both 5day blast, the embryologist even bet on me that she will be surprised if I don't get pregnant. She said that my embryos were so beautiful that she didn't even do assisted hatching. I don't have any problems, in this attempt to conceive, my hubby has low count and motility..so ICSI should have taken care of that right? wrong...

After my failed attempt that's when I became vigilant and read more about IVF as well as implantation success of reproductive clinics. What I did different on my second attempt was - I slowed down on my workouts (I do crossfit, bootcamp and marathon) and rest more. Heck I even took a three week vacation in Europe to bring down my stress level. days before the retrieval and transfer, I had body massages and even had a two hour massage the night before the day of my transfer. Also, an hour before the transfer I took valium to calm my nerves and made my body more receptive ( btw the valium was prescribed by my RE, I didn't took it in my first IVF attempt).

On this IVF#2, they harvest 11 eggs, 10 fertilized and three(3) matured, 1AA, 1A, 1B. I was devastated because again, I have no blast to freeze which means I should better get pregnant or this is it. This time, the embryologist did assisted hatching, ICSI and I demanded that they transfer all three to me. I was going to ask for four (4) actually but I only have three. They agreed because of the fact that I have a failed attempt.

I wasn't truly expecting that I will get pregnant let alone with twins because 5days after my transfer (they are 5days blast anyway), not counting the day of my transfer, I POAS and it was negative (I even bought the most expensive clearblue) - I was so upset and took solace to the fact that I already have two daughters anyway. I didn't even want to go to my beta anymore but my husband insisted. In these days when I was advised not to lift more than 10lbs or do any high impact activities, because I thought that I was not pregnant..I was back to running, doing 4-6 miles and wrestling and jumping with my dogs.

I was shocked to learn that I was pregnant after two betas, the first beta was 35 and then two days after it was 104..it's not a great number but it doubled. Then after three weeks, I got another surprise that it was twins. The doctor saw two sacs and was initially thinking that the other one was probably empty but after measuring Baby A at 140 HR, he was surprised that Baby B also has a strong HR 126 at 7 weeks. So this my story.

If you want to up the chances I would strongly recommend to having rest your body and your mind; some couple would even do acupuncture. Also, look into Assisted Hatching. I didn't do PGD because you will pay for this prior to transfer but there's no guarantee that the transferred egg will implant. There are so many factors.:thumbup::dust:

Correction: I ended up paying zero for my first cycle medication. And 50% off on the second cycle through compassionate program.

Check with your RE's if they have this program at your state.

Yes my clinic told me about two different programs that help with cost of medication that I'm going to try.
We will be paying $7800 for the whole cycle, including icsi and assisted hatching if needed. Also included frozen embryo storage for a year.
And I'm most likely going to do acupuncture at least right before transfer and then during the 2ww as it seriously helps me relax. Thank you so much for all of the advice! I see Valium on my list of meds. Which is a good thing bc I will be so nervous during the procedures!! Btw what is assisted hatching?

Mono- thanks so much for sharing your story I know not to put too much into grades because my fresh cycle want 3 A A and a 3 A my frozen was a 5 A A and a 5AB. Mine were slow growers I guess as they used the best at the time for my fresh cycle. If your Dr says the babies look great try your best not to worry.

Lanet I had valium also for my transfer they told me it helps your whole body relax. I was also supposed to take 3 ibuprofens if I remember correctly. Assisted hatching is where they do a little laser "cut" I believe to ensure it hatches like it's supposed to. On my frozen cycle one was already hatching before transfer. They did not use the procedure on my embryos nor did they use icsi. I paid $12,000 for one cycle not including meds and my frozen was $2,500. Your prices seem great to me. I had been thinking about going to Cancun for a cycle because it's only $6,500.

Well my clinic is in Kansas City, maybe a little closer than cancun;) and yes the price is great and the statistics are comparable. I wonder how much the statistics mean though? There are some clinics with really high success rates, should we put much trust into those statistics though?

Also my acupuncturist told me to go relax after for a few weeks to give the baby time to snuggle in.

As I said before some cases are harder than others so it can be hard to compare. You'd have to find stats with just your issue,age etc. Besides I have managed to defy the odds through this entire process so I gave up on all of that. Even if there's only a 1% chance of something it's still a chance right : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->