First ivf march 2014! Please join me!

Hi Ladies:

Like what Peachy said, sometimes pregnancy happens against all odds. When I had the failed attempt for IVF, I requested to have an appointment with my RE (Dr.2, there are multiple doctors in the clinic and Dr. 2 is the one who is doing my first cycle). He told me that when fertilization occur, after the sperm penetrated the egg..it is now up to the egg to do the job (its like the egg is the one the holds the battery and ultimately will dictate if its going to mature or not). So what I get from this is that is truly the quality of the eggs that is being produced by the woman's body. Because in ICSI, they actually cut the tail of the sperm and put it inside the egg, and yet studies shows that it does not affect the chromosomal make up of the egg.

When Dr. 2 did the transfer, he did my transfer with an ultrasound guide, we can see in the monitor exactly where the catheter to ensure that he was in the right place. As you know, this attempt was unsuccessful.

On my IVF Round 2, it was another RE who did it, let's call him Dr. 1, he is actually the head and the owner of the clinic. When he did my transfer I was surprised that he didn't use the ultrasound and proceeded with the transfer- that worries me to death because I said to myself if I didn't get pregnant with an ultrasound guide; what more without it?

Then next thing you know I conceived twins with Dr. 1. So what I infer from this is sometimes albeit not all the time, you want to be handled by a doctor that has a the skill and fluency on what they are doing. I remember the nurse suggesting me to request for Dr. 1 to do the transfer since he has more years of experience.

BTW assisted hatching, is when they scratch or make a little opening on the zona pellucida of the blast (outer layer of the embryo) so that when they are inside your uterus, the hatching is pretty much jumpstarted.

I also have a friend who went to a clinic in San Diego that has a very high implantation rate at 50%. And it seems like duplicated because with her first try of IVF, 2 were transferred to her and actually 2 implanted but she lost the other one (vanishing twin syndrome). She delivered a baby boy. She has three frozen; after a year, she did an FET, two thawed average and was transferred to her and she conceived and gave birth to a healthy baby girl. I originally wanted to go to that clinic but it was an hour a way. So I am pretty torn about statistics because sometimes they are indeed indicative of success but just like Peachy said even 1% is a chance.

There's a clinic that has an implantation rate of 62%. My clinic only has 29%. I would have to start over at the new clinic, pay $300 for the consult, and it's 6 weeks before I can get in. But is it worth it? So hard to tell bc I've read that some clinics manipulate their stats by only taking easy cases etc. if I filter it to male factor, my clinic only had 12 cases, 4 of them live births. The other clinic 7/7. 100%. I hate that it's not it's not updated past 2011!
I really like my dr. She studied at Stanford, one of the biggest ivf centers in the country. And she only came here in 2010 so I feel like the 2011 stats don't let me see enough of her work.
Ugh. I'm just praying to make the right decision. Whatever just feels right.

I know it can be a tough decision. Is the lab of your RE clinic accredited? - meaning they are up to standard. I honestly think that the laboratory that handles and monitors the fertilization is a factor too.

If your case is a male factor as I see that you have a daughter, and its not been over ten years since you've been pregnant....you should not have a problem. And if you do, they would know it anyway because I'm sure they monitor your blood and hormone level. They will cancel the cycle and fix whatever needs to be fixed with your reproductive hormones. Also I hate to say this that age is a major factor too. Some clinics would not even take patients that is more than 42 years old unless they are using Donor Egg. Or they are using their own eggs that were retrieved from them and was frozen when they were at their optimal age (oocyte storage).

If its a male factor then, this will go down to how skilled the embryologist it or whoever is processing the sperm when the samples are given. Making sure that they are washed properly and successfully penetrated via ICSI. And also protocols are different with RE's too. There are also different protocols in IVF. Some of it is flare stimulation protocol, luteal suppression protocol and antagonist protocol. In my case I was on luteal suppression. Some clinic would also do a fresh cycle but they freeze the egg for a month before they transfer. They believe that it increases the chance of implantation because the the follicle and the uterus are healed after being stimulated to produce more than normal amount of eggs.

I cannot advice you where to go but what I can advise you is to at least pay for two attempt just to be on the safe side.

Hi ladies...

I just wanted to give me thoughts on this topic.

First.. its difficult to compare statistics from one clinic to another....since the stats don't always include the type of patients a clinic has...so it's accurate. yes it's a good rough estimate.

If clinic A has really tough cases with 25% birth success and cllinic B has simpler with 50% - it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Second thing is.. yess experience of the dr makes a difference....and protocols make a difference.

But it's different for every patient. If you did a deep analysis of every patient at clinic A got all the protocols and success...and sent a patient there bc they fit into the success of that exact clinci...they could still get a bfn.

Why?! Bc no matter what....ttc and fertility is not an exact science...as much as we try to with IVF....at the end if the day no body has exact control.

If we did have control...infertility wouldn't exist. we would just do a calculation in what works for type A ppl and send them to clinic A with protocol A.

Great and interesting discussion :)

I wish there were more stats on embryologists. Those little guys are microscopic and so delicate. The RE relies on them and so do we. I saw on the news that the mayo clinic here in MN has like a first of its kind $100,000 machine where the embryos never have to be handled and could significantly improve success rates. This was a few months back so it may something to think about asking clinics if they have it yet.

Lanet rates can also be case specific so make sure to ask her what your in divulge chances may be however a lot can only be determined after the quality of your eggs and embryos are determined. Like mine told me are chances were very good and after transfer he gave me 65% chance of it working. They really only know so much and only get so many from each cycle and you really never know because perfect ones don't work sometimes while lesser quality ones do. That's why overall success goes up with subsequent cycles. Sometimes it's a learning process.

Try looking up Embryos cope Time - lapse or time lapse incubator

Thanks. She gave us a 60% chance. I'm really concerned bc every time I call with a question, a nurse says she needs to grab my chart and call me back and she never does. At least 5 times now. That's raising a huge red flag for me.
I called the place with the high success rates. Their website talks a lot about their labs, they're about 15 miles closer and about the same price overall. One difference is they said I would be completely sedated during retrieval, the other place was a conscious sedation, I get high anxiety during things like that so honestly id rather be completely out.
I haven't made a solid decision yet but I did make a consult appt with the other place. Feb 10.

Also my RE told me the infectious disease testing is $1000 per person. This other clinic said $150. Why the big difference?!

If they are the same price overall why would you even consider going to the one with lower rated that you haven't felt comfortable with? I was asleep for mine and I was ok with that. Not sure about the money difference on testing mine was $500 however see if you can do most of that workup elsewhere and have results transferred.

The big difference in the price might be with your insurance. If the clinic is using a lab that has a contract with your insurance, that would really make a big difference. Although the IVF is seldom covered in private insurance, the labwork sometimes is. Like in our case, all our semen analysis and other pre IVF work out was covered by our insurance.

Regarding the retrieval process, you might want to ask them if the cycle they are offering is full scale or what some clinic "mini IVF". Honestly, if you see how the retrieval is being done (try looking it up in you tube) you would preferred to be completely out. I was out when I did it for less than an hour.

Yes they are both full ivf. And they both except my insurance. However, my insurance covers nothing at all, not even the diagnostics. I'm wondering if it's a more thorough test or something,
Thank you all so much for giving me so much great advice! I'm going to look that up on YouTube now...yikes!

Hey Lanet have you found anything out or made any decisions? I just sent my release form to get all my records sent to new clinic as apparently they want to review them before starting. Hoping it does effect eligibility in the cost warranty program and am hoping Feb goes fast and I can continue to eat healthier : )

Hi peachy. Well I have a consult scheduled with the new clinic but..my gut is telling me to stay where I am. So I will most likely cancel the appt. I'm frustrated though bc I'm planning a march cycle and so I've been waiting for af. Well all of a sudden I'm having ewcm again on cd 33:( which means I prob didn't O yet and it will be another 2 weeks. So I asked the nurse and she said they would want me on birth control pills for about 4 weeks, so if af hasn't came by Monday to call and she will give me something to bring it on. I've never done that before. I'm not sure why I'm having the wonkiest cycle ever now. I'm a late ovulater but this is really late even for me. I don't know if it's best to
A) let them give me something to bring on AF and still do march
B) wait for af and start bcp and wait for April, which will then mean I'm on bcp for much longer.
Sigh. What would you do?
Also, we just got approved for a first steps prescription program. They are going to cover 75% of our meds!!!!!!! Let me know of you want the info. My clinic told be about it.
I'm also trying up eat healthier and I've been running a lot trying to get in shape before I gain weight from ivf meds lol.

I would love the info that would be great! Do you think stressing about all this could have delayed ovulation? I know lots of people that have had to have their period induced and it seems to work well but even with that everyone is different as to how long it takes to bring it on. Do you use ovulation tests? If it's positive hopefully you can expect flo in 14 days. I also get some ewcm before flo arrives. Estrogen fluctuates throughout your cycle.

redbrick80 - DH is on clomid, multi, D, Acetyl-L-Carnatine, Royal Jelly, Relora, and some others I cant think of...

lanet - When we found out, it was hard for both of us... I wish the problem was with me rather than him, I think that would make it easier... It has been a long, stressful road (we have been TTC for 2 1/2 years now, will be 3 in Aug)... So, we are very very excited for these next couple of months... although, DH can be a bit impatient, and when he heard that we wouldn't begin until end of Feb he was not a happy camper (this was at the beginning of Jan)...

sorry its been a while... work has been crazy, almost can't wait to be done when i finally get that bfp ;)

Peachy1584 - FirstSteps (through designRX) and Compassionate Care (through EMD serono) are the two big companies that offer assistance in covering ivf costs... Both applications are easy, and they get back to you fairly quickly... your clinic should have given you the info, because, at least with us, they decide where to send the prescriptions based upon who gives you the better assistance.. you should look into both, I believe both have on-line links to fill out the paperwork... We just got our reviews this week... sadly, they are claiming we make too much money, so frustrating and disheartening... But, Hopefully you will have better luck!!!

I'm now reviewing costs to determine what we will be paying, my clinic sent me a list today...WOW!!! I have no other words... Does anyone else have BC/BS for insurance? That's what we have, and when I look on line they have many of the meds listed as being 30% covered, but my clinic is saying that bc they are being taken specifically for ivf they wont cover any of the cost... is this true???

https://www.fertilitybydesign.com/PatientPortal/Designrx/FirstSteps.aspx

https://fertilitylifelines.com/fert...ertility-treatments/savings-self-pay-patients

Ok those are the programs. One does follitism and one does gonal f I believe. So depending which one your dr prefers, I was told to go ahead and apply for both and that my dr would most likely work with me if I got approved for one or the other. They work with select pharmacies.
And I've always been a late ovulater but the latest was day 29 which was rare. Last month was crazy too and I had 17 days of ewcm be I finally ovulated. I stopped using opks bc I would get positives at random times and then not o. My boobs aren't sore yet either so i know I haven't yet. I just started taking synthroid in December and I wonder if that's the problem. Idk whether to mess with nature or not. Idk which clinic to choose. I wish these answers were made for me. So yes stress could be contributing. I'm so tired and just feel like staying home everyday. I work with the public and it can be very hard dealing with them while dealing with this. That's one reason I'm anxious to get this all started so it's not looming over me.
I do feel like little by little things are falling into place though and that's exciting!
Bye I mentioned to my dh about a home equity loan and that night he dreamt that I listed our house online and sold it, lol!
I ended up calling our bank and they are adding most of what we need to my car loan, bc I have a lot of equity in it. So it's all working out!
How are things with you?

Thanks so much for the info ladies I am calling my clinic tomorrow and asking why they haven't told me and my other clinic never did either.

K9 I have health partners and some of them are listed on my ins as well but are not covered for infertility like that makes any damn sense.

Lanet I am so happy for you that you get the meds covered and have a plan for the rest. I really hope that puts your mind at ease because it's that much easier not having to worry about money during the process. My first cycle we ended meds were about $3000 and when we had to stim extra days I freaked and then had to keep going back because I would only get enough to get by. So expensive and you can't return extra it just depends on how the body responds. I had to hope we made enough money to get the loan and now I have to hope we don't make enough money to get the grants. Everything about this always has to be crazy lol.

Ladies do you know if they do a credit check for the discount? I'm not worried about our credit just having a hit on it while doing the home loan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->