First midwife appointment 12+1

veganmum2be

1 Son two angels.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone else booked in late with midwife? I'll be 12+1 when I go.

How does it work with scans? Just doesn't seem much time to allow for letter to be sent out with appointment before 13+6 the cut off for NT. I presume they make it work somehow?!

(Plus we might need to change it to accommodate two full time jobs and school times!)

One my two other pregnancies I got my first appointments between 11-12 weeks. I had my first scan at these appointments too

They don't scan at the appointment as it's in the community. They send a request and hospital writes a letter here.

I'm hoping cos of the time she might just ring and be able to give me a date there and then!

I went in to my booking knowing I was 8 weeks but my dates made it appear as though I was 12. My midwife rang the scan department immediately and got them to give me an urgent call back. 2 days later I was in with them for my 12 week scan - which showed I was 8 weeks, as I thought. So I got in really fast, but there was no flexibility at all around jobs and children unfortunately. It was, take this cancellation appointment or forfeit your scan :(

Thanks hope it's the same thing.

Yeah both our works will be flexible but we still need enough time to add it to calendar without a major clash, which surely they will understand. They are going to have to accommodate the school times as the hospital is nowhere near the school.
Here's hoping anyway!

I had my booking in appointment Tuesday when I was 5+6. Today I received my letter for my 12 week scan on 3rd November, I will be 12+2 x

Hmm... is there any way you can speak to them on the phone before your actual appointment, so you can explain your situation and ensure that they're able to get you an appointment?

Surely they should be able to book your scan even if they haven't seen you yet.

Hope it all works out!

I know by me, the booking appointment is when you get a date for your dating scan (aka the 12 week scan which as you correctly pointed out can be done up to 13+6).

Did they ask your LMP when you were referred? Hopefully that means your scan would be pretty soon after the booking appointment!

At my hospital if you need to be booked at short notice you go to the general imaging department rather than maternity because they scan 7 days a week and in evenings. My 20 week scan was booked with 3 days notice for first thing on a sunday morning they often hold one or two appointments a day for emergencies or short notice scans. If you get a time that's inconvenient there may be a little flexibility but you may have to be prepared to go alone or not with your first choice person. DH could only come to two of my 4 scans because he couldn't get out of work as he works at a small zoo and it would also be a 25 mile round trip where as my Mum worked 5 minutes away in a large school so she could leave more easily

I would call and speak to them and make sure they know you need your scan booked if you intend to have the NT scan. There likely won't be time for them to get you in for a scan within about a week and a half if they wait to book after your booking (which is what normally happens). But it's quite likely they can book a scan for you in advance so you have the date. They aren't going to be too flexible in planning around work and the school run though, so keep that in mind. It's your employer's responsibility to give you paid time off and your partner just has to take off the time if expecting to be there. Nearly everyone has to book around the school run so they can't be too accommodating. I know for my 20 week scan this week (it's at 2), my husband and I have to drive separately and he will likely leave half way through to go collect our daughter as the hospital is about 20 minute drive from school. It's just how it is. But if you talk to them in advance you can perhaps be a bit more picky. Waiting until 12+1 though, there's unlikely to be many appointments left so you won't have that option.

They can do the NT up to 14+2

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregn...an-ultrasound-10-11-12-13-weeks-pregnant.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->