First morning urine

Aurora_rose

Cooking a little man!
Reaction score
I think this may be a bit of a stupid question but it has been really bugging me! (Ahh the little things hahaha)

Basically i am going to see my consultant on friday and he wants 2 samples of FMU.

The issue that i have is that i dont really have FMU anymore as it literally pee every 2 hours throught the night like clock work! So 11pm 1 am 3 am 5 am 7 am and then i get up

So will my 7am atill be classed as FMU even though i only pee'd 2 hours ago? Haha

Sorry if this is a really stupid question but i thoight they need FMU as it was more concentrated and im worried mine wont be

Hi Aurora,

It depends a bit what your doc is testing you for.
If he just wants a less diluted sample I would think the one at 7am would be classed as such. (A less diluted sample you would for also example use for the pregnancy test at home when you're finding out if you're pregnant. There you want concentrated urine with more hcg in it, to make it show up earlier/clearer).

If he wants to test something that accumulates over a period of several hours I would talk to him about you having to get up frequently. However, most consultants (at least if it's your obs consultant we are talking about) would know that pregnant women do pee a lot more frequently... So again, your doc should be happy with that if he/she requested it without special instructions.

Just as an explanation for the above:
It's not actually the time you haven't peed that makes your urine concentrated, it's the fluid volume you have been drinking in the hours before your sample and how much/well your kidneys are processing that. (*There are other factors that can alter the concentration but it would be too specific for the person to go into in this context*)
And as most of us would drink less or nothing during the night, your morning urine is usually the most concentrated.

Source: I'm a nurse...

Hope it helped...

I think just take samples from before you eat or drink anything.

Thats what ive done this morning i made sure i didnt drink when i got up for my 5 am pee as i usually do so it should be concentrated! I shall do the same tomorrow x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->