First Pregnancy.. Er, what do I do?!

Fiora

Reaction score
Hey! :flower:

So, weird post to make. I found out I was pregnant 2 days ago. A complete shock, we were WTT for another 4/5 YEARS so safe to say this pregnancy is totally unplanned. I was on the mini pill (same brand I have been using for the last 6 years!) and came off around 2/2.5 weeks ago to await my period which never came. I had very real period pains and kept rushing to the loo expecting AF which never arrived and took a test purely based on a little niggle.

I suppose I'm around 6 or 7 weeks by this point, although I've made a Dr's appointment to find out more exactly. I'm fairly sure I conceived in the first week of july so I don't think my dates are too far off.

So, to get to the point of my post - wtf do I do?! I have a doctors appointment but it isn't for another 2 weeks. What am I not supposed to eat? I read I need to start folic acid, but how much? Any other vitamins?!

This is my first pregnancy, totally unplanned and totally unprepared. Babies were not even on my radar for another 4 years minimum so yeah, I need help! Sorry for being such a newb but at least you all seem really, really well informed.

Thank you xx

start on a prenatal vitamins not just folic acid. Do not take a normal multi vitamin, although cheaper they have the wrong combination of vitamins and none of some of what you need.

Stop alcohol and caffeine for sure though. Although some believe a little is ok I believe none is the best.

It's your body and your baby in the end so it's up to you!

Ah the vitamin advice is helpful, thank you! I haven't actually seen prenatal vitamins but I suppose I've never looked for them :blush: I'm going to Holland & Barratt's tomorrow for the Folic Acid so I'll pick some up then.

Thankfully I stopped drinking tea about 3 months ago and swapped for Miso soup (which I now cannot stand the smell of!) so I don't have to go through the tea withdrawal again, it was awful lol.

Sorry if I sound a bit strange asking for this type of advice, but I'm literally researching as I go and more afraid of doing something harmful out of ignorance. I don't smoke or drink, I've googled and it says to avoid raw meats and eggs, do you know of any other foodstuffs I should be dodging?

Thank you though, it's embarrassing to know so little. None of my friends have ever been pregnant and this was totally unplanned so I really know nothing right now!

Also avoid liver and deli meats - cheapest to buy prenatals in sainsburys hun as they are 3 for 2 xx

Also avoid liver and deli meats - cheapest to buy prenatals in sainsburys hun as they are 3 for 2 xx

I've just found out Pate is off the menu - devastated! Will check out Sainsbury's tomorrow too then, I've been inside all day napping so the walk would probably do me good, thank you :flower:

Here's the NHS guidelines for food: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx

I went to my GP office the week after I found out where there's a desk for community services to fill out a form to get a booking appointment with a midwife. They gave me a big pack of info including a print out of what it says on that link about what not to eat. Then a midwife phoned me a few days later to make a first appointment (which I don't have for another few weeks, but they might want to you to come in soon since you aren't sure about dates).

I had a private scan with my FS and she said the most important things to take are folic acid and vitamin d. I've been taking pregnacare conception so still taking that as I have loads of it to use up, but she said once I finish it, just regular folic acid from the grocery store would be fine.

Stay away from Albacore Tuna. My midwife said I cannot have that at all during pregnancy, as well as Swordfish and a few others. Canned Tuna is okay. I'm only allowed one per month. I still eat sushi, but only california rolls because the crab is not raw. Lunch meat is not good or soft cheeses, I believe. I allow myself a half cup of coffee most mornings but try to limit my caffeine intake as much as possible. I take prenatal vitamins with DHA in them. The brand is Nature Made, but not sure if they sell that where you live. I also recommend to start using coconut oil right away all over your stomach, sides, thighs, butt, etc. I know they say stretch marks are genetic, but I had a few coming and put coconut oil on them and they have pretty much gone away.

Good luck and Congratulations!

P.S. People will be handing out their opinions right and left about what you should eat or how you should feed your baby, even if you don't ask for them :haha:. I just smile and nod as they ramble on :dohh:

Sounds like you've gotten great advice here. I'll be 11 weeks along tomorrow with my fourth, and past what you can eat, drink, do, let me just say to RELAX!!! I spent my entire first pregnancy stressing and being scared and worried the entire time, and I missed my chance to have a beautiful, happy pregnancy, and I regret it all the time. Avoid the foods listed above, don't take any medications without calling and asking your doctor about it first, don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, don't ride roller coasters or other theme park rides, but don't forget to live and enjoy your life! This is the last little bit of time you get to yourself, and while life with kids is amazing, and I wouldn't have it any other way, you're about to go through some huge changes, so do all the things you can't do with a baby on your hip while you still can. :)

Hey!

Sorry I wasn't online for a day, I am shattered all the time - I slept 12 hours last night! Crazy! Thank you so much for all the advice, it's really solid. My family are still in shock and nobody is really speaking to me much about what I should/should not be doing. I've always been a "free spirit" kind of person so I think they're all really taken aback that this even happened to me. I'm 25 and sure my parents still classify me as a child sometimes. I haven't had much of a chance to talk to them that much about things either, it's all very fresh. The advice is so helpful though, I'm a huge fan of seafood so I've really been reading up about that. I also got my vitamin yesterday and actually felt a huge wave of relief taking the first one which was strange as I really haven't and don't feel "pregnant" at all yet!

Also as a side note, Ahughes your son's name is gorgeous! GL for the birth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->