First prenatal tomorrow!..what to expect?! :/

pumpkin90

Reaction score
I have my first prenatal appointment tomorrow and I am excited. Just want confirmation from doc. that everything is going well and hear our little beans heartbeat.( Even though I've heard it lots on our own personal Doppler :p). Anyways.....I still don't know if I will be getting a scan tomorrow.... I've been hearing mixed reviews..some friends from where I live have had 12 week scans whereas others tell me their first was at 20weeks. I just don't understand how a doctor can say all is well when they don't even get a visual on the bean until halfway through pregnancy?!... But were going on the 14th for a private scan anyways :) hehehe.

Did your doctor get you scanned on the first visit? Does it happen that day in their lab/diagnostics area? or is it a referral and book another appt?

What does the first prenatal entail?

Hi, I had my first app last week, But then had a early scan at the EPU for Spotting which has now gone, and all was ok on the Scan - I had Bloods and gave all info like Problems - previous pregnancys ect then she said Once this is on the system... I will get a Letter for 12 weeks scan, My dates changed by 4 days with the early scan too - Its different if your in the Uk to abroad xx Cannot wait to pic the heart beat up, when did you find it from?

I'm in the U.S. and my first appointment was at 8 weeks. I gave a urine sample and then headed into the exam room. This was a new doctor for me so they did a cervix exam (PAP smear, etc.) I had a transvaginal ultrasound to confirm pregnancy - but since you're 12 weeks, you may get an abdominal one. After that, I was sent to the lab for blood work. It was pretty quick and exciting to see that little baby. Best wishes!

I'm also in the U.S. and it seems to vary so much, not just by country, but by doctor! I have seen the doctor already but my official first appointment is made around 8 weeks (I go on Friday!). At this appointment, tons of paperwork is filled out, a scan is done in her office to check for heartbeat and bloodwork is taken. My doctor has 2 ultrasound machines in her office so they seem to do them pretty liberally as the need arises so no need to be sent out all the time unless you need a really precise test.

Well I'm back from the appt. I had been previously to confirm preg and bloodwork before, but this was first prenatal appt. Doctor didn't do scan, just listened with doppler. ( to answer question from Laura_2010- I heard our little beans heart at 9+3 with our personal doppler). Doctor did a full physical and also did a Pap smear ... After it there was lots of blood on the speculum and I wiped right after and there was lots more. And since going to washroom twice after there is more when I wipe. Doctor said spotting is normal for today as I had the pap and have a yeast infection... But it's alarming to me... Has this happened to anyone else? I'm worried cause I haven't even got a visual on baby yet.. We're going for a private scan on Weds, but they aren't medical professionals there.. So we can't really know how baby is doing.. Just that it's there. I'm a worried mama :( hope the bleeding stops.

Oh no, I'm so sorry you're worried. Although it hasn't happened to me personally, I know it's very common to have bleeding after anything like that. Transvaginal ultrasounds, pap smears, cervical exams, even sex. So, I wouldn't worry. Good luck at your scan on Wednesday - I'm sure you'll see your sweet bean. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->