First Scan - Update

sadeyedlady

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just wondering what's the average week for your first scan in Ireland. Got a letter in the door today for my initial scan which will place me at 15 weeks. Is this normal?

*UPDATE*
Went for my 12 week check up with gp to measure blood pressure etc. He thinks I may be 15/16 weeks already based on my fundal height! I'm still kind of unsure about my dates but I assumed I was 12 weeks

Fingers crossed and I'll know for definite when I have my first ultrasound in 2 weeks. Keep you posted!

I can't speak for Ireland, but here in the US I am only having my first appt next week (Thursday) and I will be around 12 weeks. It's not ideal IMO as I've been stressing out about it for weeks hoping everything will be okay, etc.

Is there any way you could request one sooner? For me, there weren't many places that would take Medicaid so I had to take what I could get. :(

Appointment was originally made through my gp. I went back to him and questioned if it was normal and he's pretty convinced it is because I've already had a previous successful healthy pregnancy.

It's such a long wait though. Don't want to tell anybody until I get the all clear which by then (at the rate I'm ballooning) it will be pretty obvious.

Best of luck in your scan next week. Fingers and toes crossed for you!

In the U.K., 12 weeks is the average I think. 15 weeks sounds late to me... I think I'd go crazy if I had to wait that long! Can you call through to the pregnancy unit directly and ask them rather than your doc?

I might call them on Monday and just chance it. If you don't ask you don't get!

I feel exactly the same way! It's taking forever for it to get here. I have not been pregnant before, but I'm feeling the same nervousness. We've announced to a few friends and most of our family, but are waiting for an "official" announcement on Facebook, etc. until the scan comes back okay, just because you never know!!

Thanks for the well wishes. Hoping you can get in a bit sooner for your appt, but either way hopefully all is well for you, too. <3

Are you north or south of Ireland? I think you must be down south? I can't be of much help as I'm northern so with the NHS. First scans are usually around 12 week mark here

You actually are getting an early scan, first scans aren't normally done until 20 weeks here and you only get one unless there's something they need to monitor. It seems ridiculous doesn't it?

If you conceived with fertility clinic you will get an early scan at 8 weeks.

A friend of mine told me if you tell your gp you don't know how long you're pregnant, they will arrange an early scan for you to date the pregnancy.

Good luck xx

Eta: I live in republic not the north

I though 13 weeks was the cut off if you want the downs/Edwards screening? I was told my scan couldn't be later than 13 weeks for doing the NT measurement by my midwife? But maybe you have opted not to have that done? 15 weeks is as late as I've heard for first scans but sounds like it might be quite normal in Ireland. UK as everyone has said is 12 weeks, across the pond they seem to get very early scans, as early as 6 weeks! But I imagine it might be dependant on their health insurance?

Called about the appointment this morning. They said the earliest your first appointment can be is 12 weeks and the latest is 20 weeks. Basically saying that my appointment at 15 weeks is completely normal. I asked to be put on a cancellation list but they don't do that.

Guess I'm just gonna have to wait it out ladies. All going well so far thankfully.

Now I'm puzzled as to what to do about telling people. As I said before it'll be pretty obvious in the next couple of weeks. Should I tell people before I get the all clear at 15? They say that passing the 12 week mark significantly reduces the chances of mc.

Any advice?

Personally, I've been waiting until my scan on Thursday to officially announce on social media, etc. I've told my family and some close friends, but just to be on the safe side I wanted to wait for the all clear from the Dr to tell everyone else. That's just me personally, though! Of course it's insanely hard to keep a secret. :wacko:

Called about the appointment this morning. They said the earliest your first appointment can be is 12 weeks and the latest is 20 weeks. Basically saying that my appointment at 15 weeks is completely normal. I asked to be put on a cancellation list but they don't do that.

Guess I'm just gonna have to wait it out ladies. All going well so far thankfully.

Now I'm puzzled as to what to do about telling people. As I said before it'll be pretty obvious in the next couple of weeks. Should I tell people before I get the all clear at 15? They say that passing the 12 week mark significantly reduces the chances of mc.

Any advice?

Did you mention the NT measurement and that needing to be done by a certain number of weeks? Or did you not want that done? The NHS website says it must be done by 14 weeks or it's too late. After that, you'd need to be offered different screening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->