First time dealing with possible preterm birth

Christi81

Almost Done!!!!!!!
Reaction score
:hi: Hello all! I am new to this site and am so greatful to have found it. All of your stories are so helpful and reassuring, knowing that life outside of the womb is possible so early on.

I am a mother of two and pregnant with my third. I am 22 weeks and 1 day and started preterm labor at 20 weeks 6 days. My sonogram at 20 weeks showed the baby to already be 14 oz., which is bigger than most at his gestational age. And I measure to be two weeks ahead, so we may already be 24 weeks, which would be a blessing. I am now on oral terbutaline, but it's only keeping the contractions at bay for 2 hours per pill. I went to the hospital yesterday because I started having a lot of mucus in my discharge. Upon examination the dr noted that my cervix was short, in mid position, and fingertip dialated. My waters have not broke and I have not had any pink or bloody show. I am set up for a vaginal ultrasound on Monday to get a better look at my cervix.

So, my question is, how significant is the cervical position in determining preterm labor? I really appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and clue me in on what they're telling me.

Thanks,

Hiya :hi:

Welcome to BabyandBump

I'm not sure on the answer to your question but one of the other girls may be able to relate when they see it.

Just want to wish you lots of luck

Just like Wobbles, I wanna to give the welcome. I don't really know much about all what're going through right now, but good luck and I hope everything goes well

Hi Christi,

I am not sure of the answer but ask the doctors to explain everything on Monday. My daughter Charlotte was born at 24 weeks 5 days in July of last year weighing 1lb 9oz. At the same hospital a year before they had a little baby survive at 14 oz born at 22 weeks so please be positive.

You may want to look at the website we set up for our little daughter. We set it up at the beginning and it tells the story in full. www.charlottelow.com

Our little girl is now nearly 12 lbs and although it was the hardest journey we have ever been through, my word is it worth it now.

Keep positive and I wish you all the very best.

Love
Sam

I have read your story and am greatful to have found it. Your story gives so much hope. I've even made my husband and mother look at the pictures of little Charolette so that there are no suprises. I want to be prepared and I want the ones supporting me to be just as knowledgeable about whats going on. Seeing your story and some others on this site has really lifted my spirits on the whole thing. Between God and medicine I know that everything will be okay.

Thanks again,

Samantha I just want to apologise for the fact your link would not post - I have just read the notification we get about it - Basically shows us who trys to post links & what link when it rejects the post ...

Will have my OH look into this ASAP

:blush:

Hiya

Samantha, myself and little Charlotte wondered how you are all doing.
We hope everything is okay , just remain positive whatever .

I am sure everyone on this site would like you to keep us all updated.

I may be a dad but I think it is important that both dad's and not just mum's should contribute to these sites and be allowed to help others if they can, from their past experiences.

all the best

Thanks so much for checking. We've actually been cleared after a month of ups and downs. My last sonogram this past Wednesday showed my cervix to be dialated to a 1 on the outside, but still holding strong on the inside. I have also lost a centimeter on my cervix this last week, but they will check me again in two weeks via sonogram for any more changes. The baby however is doing great and moving like crazy. He is already two pounds and has a strong little heart beat. So, everything is going great physically. Emotionally is a little bit of a hard road to go down. I am greatful that I am still pregnant and that it looks like I should stay that way for a good while, but it's been hard to switch from preparing for the worst to accepting the best. I don't know if that makes sense or if it sounds horrible, but that's how I feel. I've had two children previously that were full term healthy babies, so even going to the L&D was difficult, because it's always been happy feelings there. Trying to be there and realizing that I'm not supposed to be happy or even want to be there was different. I don't know. It's like your whole pregnancy you are wishing and hoping for the day that you get to deliver. Then when that day comes too soon, you have to erase the happy thoughts and realize how scary this is. Then once you have prepared and researched and tried to figure out what is going to happen and you feel as ready as you can, they tell you nevermind. It's hard to explain, but in my head I'm ready to deliver, but my body and baby are only 25 weeks along, and now I'm going through mentally what I would not normally go through until the last month of pregnancy.

Sorry, to unload this on you, but I guess I needed to unload it somewhere. I hope you and your family are well, and thanks again for checking

hi ya ,

i have only just notcied this thread, id like to say fantastic news that you are still goin strong with your little one still nice and warm inside, it sounds like your docs/consultants are doin a fab job and fingers crossed hel stay in there for a while longer yet!!

keep you chin up

h xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"