First time IVF Buddies

zelly1

BFP 1st round IVF
Reaction score
Hi,

A little background about us.... Me and OH are 31, we have been trying to conceive since December 2011. After thinking it would happen easily, it soon became clear that it wouldn't. After a year of trying and not a hint of a BFP we visited out Dr who referred us to our local Fertility clinic. Many tests later they discovered I suffer from late on-set congenital adrenal hyperplasia and was perscribed dexamethason (steroid) to lower some very high hormone levels that they believed was stopping me get pregnant. I also did 3 rounds of clomid. Still no BFP.

We went for our initial appointment for IVF on Tuesday and will be looking to start out first round in Oct. We need to go back in Sept to see a nurse to discuss the drugs I will be using and when and then full steam ahead in Oct. I was a little disappointed as wanted to start in Sept but was too close, I supose one more month won't hurt when we've been trying for nearly 4 years.

Just looking for some buddies who are going through the same thing as us, so hope to make some new friends xx

Was hoping for some buddies to go through this journey with...:shrug:

I'm not going into a cycle this year (currently pregnant after IVF transfer #6), but if you ever need an "old pro" to answer questions, feel free to hit me up. It's a process and going into the first cycle can be a little unnerving. :hugs: DH and I also started TTC in 2011, so I know how incredibly long the wait is. Congrats on getting ready to start IVF. It has such a higher chance than any of the other options.

Firstly congratulations :) and secondly thank you for replying.

Wow 6 goes, how did u physically and mentally deal with that?

I just wanted to get started now but nervous too. I'm sure I'll have many questions so would love for you to answer them if you can xx

Hello!

I don't really post much, but may do as my IVF gets closer. I am starting IVF in November, we were due to start this month, but I am getting married next year and if I was successful, my due date would have been the day after my wedding, which really freaked my partner out as he thought it likely that the baby would come during the wedding :haha:. It is hard waiting a bit longer, but I understand why. I have only one tube as I had an ectopic pregnancy last year, and that tube is clubbed, blocked and possibly attached by adhesions to my bowl :dohh:, anyway, I will be following your progress, and wish you a lot of luck!

Sorry I meant to say I only have one tube left, the other was removed and the one I have is very damaged.

Hi Zelly!!! I'm going to be doing IVF hopefully in November but I will be using donor eggs as I have severe endo and my eggs may or may not be of great quality as a result. My BFF will be donating eggs for me so my date will probably be a little off since you and you donor will have to be on the same menstrual cycle and stuff like that. I wish you lots of luck on ur IVF journey and I really hope the first time will be a charm for you hun :) Oh we've also been ttc since 2011.

Hi Lilly Pud, thanks for commenting....

Sorry to hear of your TTC story so far, but great you will be starting soon also. Could you imagine if you had started Oct and gave birth at your wedding, I understand why you would want to wait for a while. I am excited to see your journey also. Lots of baby dust....

Hi Babyboop... also thanks for commenting.

Wow, that is so nice of her, how exciting. Its so hard playing the waiting game but I am sure we will get our little bundles of joy soon :baby: I am excited to see your journey also. Roll on Oct/Nov :happydance:

Hi zelly1 :wave:

I'm 36, DH is 38 and we'll be starting IVF in October/November as well. Our first appointment with the hospital is September 28th and we can first start after this meeting. We've been TTC for 1 year and 10½ months and been through 6 failed IUIs with injectables (we've been diagnosed with unexplained infertility).

I actually started a thread for those starting around that time and you're more than welcome to join us if you want :flower:

The thread: https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/a...lse-starting-ivf-october-november-2015-a.html

Hi Kat079

Wow, 6 failed IUI's. They didn't even try that with us, just straight to IVF. We get one free fresh cycle and then they freeze any viable left over embroyos and then get one free go if the first attempt fails with one of those. Also a lot cheaper if we need any more cycles using those and if in a few years we want a sibling can pay to use the frozen embroyos. Good luck with your journey and I shall come and say hi on your thread xx

Hi Kat079

Wow, 6 failed IUI's. They didn't even try that with us, just straight to IVF. We get one free fresh cycle and then they freeze any viable left over embroyos and then get one free go if the first attempt fails with one of those. Also a lot cheaper if we need any more cycles using those and if in a few years we want a sibling can pay to use the frozen embroyos. Good luck with your journey and I shall come and say hi on your thread xx

I think my clinic tried it because my hormone levels were normal and both tubes are wide open (they didn't find anything in other words) so they felt I had a really good chance of getting pregnant with an IUI. But guess not. The worst thing is I had 2 follies for most of those IUIs which should've increased my odds a bit. Kinda makes me nervous something may be wrong and I may not be able to get pregnant, at least maybe not with my eggs. The IVF may give us some answers so we'll see. My luck in life has always stunk (except for finding DH) so I guess my difficulties getting a BFP are par for the course:nope:

Thanks, you too :dust: Hope to see you at my thread:flower:

Firstly congratulations :) and secondly thank you for replying.

Wow 6 goes, how did u physically and mentally deal with that?

I just wanted to get started now but nervous too. I'm sure I'll have many questions so would love for you to answer them if you can xx

Nervous is totally normal. The first IVF cycle is a really odd thing to go through since so much of it is new and there's so much emotion and hope and longing you take into it. The best thing you can do is write down questions for your doctor ahead of time (I promise that you'll forget them otherwise) and bring your OH to appts with you so can write things down- letting you focus on you. I'd often get so wrapped up in looking at the u/s of my follicles that I'd end up forgetting everything else. DH was a lifesaver!

As far as getting through so many cycle, well, it wasn't easy by any means. We had several losses during all of it, so that was really rough, too. Infertility is (IMHO) one of the hardest things someone can go through. My husband has been an amazing support to me, we went through infertility counseling after loss #3 (from IVF transfer #5) and that also helped. The girls on BnB have been amazing- I actually met one of my best friends on BnB in the LTTTC forums and I visit her sometimes when I go overseas for IVF (she lives in Denmark). Just having people to talk to who've been though IVF is incredibly helpful.

Other than that, a lot of yoga, a lot of self pampering during IVF cycles (seriously- massages, long soaks, whatever it is that makes you happy- do it!), and when the going got really rough, a good, long cry generally helped out a lot. (Good cries are some of the best medicine- so never feel bad if you need to break down and let it all out! This IVF stuff is hard work!) Oh, and acupuncture! I can't recommend it enough. Studies are showing that it ups success rate and (I can tell you for a fact) it significantly reduces stress!

It's so hard isn't it and I admire you to keep continuing to finally get the little bundle of joy you wanted.

Thank you for the advice, I am planning in taking about a week off work from when they remove the eggs to when they put them back in so I can chill and the time be all about me lol.

Xx

I'm new to this site and going thru my first round of a IVF. Had my retrieval this am. Now just waiting to see how many embryos we get to day 5... We are doing frozen transfer. Please let me know if you have any questions about the process and hopefully I can help! It def helps to have people you can talk to!!!

Hi Cherub, thanks for joining and how exciting... have you heard from the clinic yet? xx

I have a question for the ladies who have been through the process so far. I was advised by the Dr that for the Luteal Support I would be using the pessaries (one in morn and one in eve), I have read in the booklet they gave me that you continue this until either a negative result or until 10 weeks of pregnancy. Have any of you had the pessaries, can't imagine putting them in for that long, esp the morning one as need to put it in 30 mins before getting up...

I did the vaginal progesterone suppositories. Due to my loss history, I do then even longer than normal. I had to do two suppositories three times a day until 12 weeks, then slowly weaned off them. Last one was at 16 weeks!

It definitely is annoying, especially because you have to make sure your DH doesn't get exposed to them, so not only is it messy, but it's frustrating. However, it's definitely worth it to have a healthy pregnancy.

My DH was exposed to the progesterone during my first cycle and it ruined his sperm for over a year. Count, motility, and morphology all plummeted. :dohh: We had to switch from regular IVF to PICSI, which is wayyyyy more expensive. So be careful.

Oh, and make sure you stick up on pantyliners; you WILL leak progesterone goop.

Ohh wow. Thanks for the info and is a small price to pay if I get my BFP. Currently waiting for AF so I can book my next appointment on day 19 to learn about and receive my drugs. Had blood test result too which shows I have a good egg reserve and should respond well to stimulation :)

Hope you're all having a lovely weekend xx

AF arrived today, few days early which is good. Thought would end up being mega late to prolong the wait for treatment. Need to call the clinic tomorrow to book my appt with the nurse to learn and get drugs. Should be 2 weeks Fri as they book it on cd 19 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->