First time mommies trying for a natural birth support thread!

MommyMika

Reaction score
This is my first pregnancy and I am *really* hoping for a fully natural birth.

My husband and I have done the research, and decided it's best for us. Whenever there's any intervention, things just seem to go bad... we don't like the risks included in them, and I want to be fully in control and 'there' when I have my baby.

I have a midwife, and drink tonnes of Red Raspberry Leaf tea :coffee: !

I am, however, still having my baby at the hospital, but I will not be on my back and will have not one, but TWO midwives with me.

To be completely honest, I'm not scared of labor at all... but I may just be REALLY naive :haha:

Any other first time mommies hoping for a fully natural birth? What have you done to prepare? What thoughts/feelings do you have?

Im going to do everything in my power to have a 100% natural child birth. No meds at all!

I will begin RLT at 32 weeks
I have started doing squats to help open up my pelvic area
I have a birthing playlist of relaxing songs that I love

In the end I know that I dont want to be doped up when I meet my daughter for the first time. The only thing that will change that is emergency c-section

First time Mummy too having a natural home water birth :D hopefully soon! lol
Good luck to all the other natural first timers x

I am reeeeeeeeeeally hoping for a natural childbirth. I am doing yoga and swimming, and will start drinking RLT soon. Also I have been doing breathing exercises which go with the yoga with a hope that they will allow me to stay calm during labour.

I'm also reading and swotting up (highly recommend Juju Sundin's and Ina May's book) on techniques to use to combat pain.

I'm exactly like you; I'm not scared of labour which is now making me worried that I should be scared (if that makes any sense!)

And good luck thumper; I hope everything goes really well for you!

I'm quite hopeful that I'll go into labor soon so that I can have my home birth. My biggest fear is that I'll have to be induced at the end and then my dream of a natural birth is gone. :nope:

I talked to my sister yesterday who was at my mom's and they mentioned "when you get your epidural..." and I was like I don't really want to get one and they both went crazy! "Hahaha! Of course you'll want one!" I haven't told them any of my plans because I knew they'd react that way. I so can't wait to do it and then tell them that I had my baby at home with no drugs in a birthing pool! Their jaws are going to drop! lol :happydance:

I haven't been too nervous; I am getting impatient and excited though. I made up an oxytocin playlist of all my favorite love songs that remind me of DH and my romance story. :blush: And trying to do some relaxation. I'm thinking I should go for a long walk and have a bath today.

Though I do have some housework to get done. I had tons of BH last night and it occurred to me that there are still things I'd like to have done before little Frankie is born! :wacko:

I too am a first time mamma and have a home water birth planned. I have finished a course of hypnobirthing, I practice daily relaxation and visualisation with OH as well as affirmations, I have been taking RLT tabs for the past few weeks, using evening primrose oil for perineal massage daily and lavender in bath since term.

I only decided on home birth at 36 weeks, I know its counterproductive to feel scared so Im practicing relaxation and believing my birth will be smooth and enjoyable. Im at least expecting it to be bearable. Water is supposed to be up there next to an epidural for pain relief! Im quite happy to go to 42 weeks without worrying and will refuse to consider induction for as long as possible as long as bubs and placenta is healthy.

I can honestly say Im ready!! x

I'm a first-time Mommy hoping for a natural homebirth, but I'm so much earlier on in my pregnancy than all you I feel daft joining in! I hope some others early on join in too...

I'm reading loads, and I'm starting to practise my hypnotherapy soon (listened through the cd last night, will start properly this evening). I've done some self-hypnosis before successfully, so I feel like I've got an advantage there.

It is weird, but I've gone from being really quite scared of birth to looking forward to it. Now all I'm really scared of are complications making me go to hospital, but even that's not looming that large in my mind. Yet lol.

I'm a first time mummy too and am hoping for a home water birth. I'm also early on too, 22 weeks on Thursday so almost the same as you KESS! I've not discussed it with midwives yet but at my booking in appointment the midwife did ask if I'd thought of a home birth so I'm hoping for some positive support when I discuss it. Although I've never seen the same midwife twice so who knows!

I am only 16 weeks today, first time mommy-to-be, and planning a natural hospital birth.. I am doing relaxation techniques already, ordered Ina May's book, daily walks/easy hikes, stretching, yoga and breathing exercises as well. looking forward to getting my birthing ball soon as well as I do have a problem with my left hip due to an accident a few years ago. I am very excited and not really that nervous about the birth either :dohh::blush:
Actually I would have preferred a homebirth/waterbirth but I don't think have that option here in Spain unless I had the money to pay for 2 independent midwives.. which I don't. Thankfully the hospital unit is completely midwife lead as well as all my prenatal care. I am planning on labouring at home as long as possible with the use of my bath or a small pool depending on how I feel.
To be completely honest.. i think my biggest problem will be letting go of control and allowing my body do what it needs to do without doing what I think is best.. hope that makes sense.. :haha:
:flower: Hugs and best wishes for a wonderful birth experience for everyone!!

Let me put it this way, after we have had 5 children, the home birth thing is so much better. We have found that the hospital is a nightmare. You never get to sleep, rude nurses, and all you want to do is go home with your baby. You almost feel "kidnapped" because you just want to leave but they never seem to want you to.

Home birth with a midwife was an awesome experience in comparison. She was excellent & kind, and we did it in our home! Just passing along the experience.

I am only 14 weeks 4 days, but I am already thinking about my natural hospital birth. (We have a very friendly hospital here in Vermont.) So far, I have been reading as many drug-free birth stories as I can, so I can get an idea of how different every birth is. I have read many times of women reaching a point in labor where they didn't believe they could keep going and then did and pushed their baby out in a rush of adrenaline. It is really helpful, because I feel that that difficult part is when a lot of women freak out and ask for drugs. It is good to know that birth is manageable if you have the right support and if you just have an idea of what to expect. Also, I will hopefully have my mother with me. She delivered both my sister and me without any interventions.

Some important reading:
"Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" by Ina May Gaskin
(Positive stories, statistical information, myths dispelled)
"Birth: A History" by Tina Cassidy
(Literally just that - a history of how birth was done naturally by women helping women and how some disturbing trends of the 1800's and beyond shifted away from natural birthing).

I was not successful in my completely natural birth due to unforeseen complications, I had a temporary epidural, but I did make it through the first full 24 hours without any pain medications and while of course it is extremely hard, it IS possible. Your mind will matter much more - it is your mind that will guide you through the pain. Your body will guide you as well - pain medications will cause you to misread your body's cues.

The SQUAT position was essential, I used this as I pushed for 4 hours without medication. Your body feels it as correct, you need to use the force of gravity. Many hospitals (if you choose a hospital) now come equipped with squat bars so that you can use an underhand grip and use your bicep strength as well. If you are interested in this, consider a progressive weight lifting program using quad/hamstring and bicep exercises.

I am a weightlifter by hobby and that training was critical for me at that point and helped deliver my son with minimal injuries (shoulder dystocia). Good luck!

Good luck to all you first timers :) It can be done if it is what you want!

I personally can't say mine was all natural since I was induced and had some pethadine but I really don't think it did that much so I could have managed without it. I also don't think I was scared of labour, a little worried about what to expect but I knew it was natural and the more relaxed I could be the better my body would perform.

Squatting is a great way to deliver your baby. I have been watching One born every minute and am constantly surprised how many women are struggling to push a baby out while on their backs. I was on my back for a little while but seriously was getting nowhere pushing until I got up on my feet and then squatted! It helps open up the pelvis and uses gravity so it really makes lots of sense.

I'm really looking forward to my next birth so it couldn't have been so bad the last time haha :)

I had my wonderful home birth today and can honestly say that we made 100% the right decision. Just used a little entonox and let my birth pool do the rest. So Bice being at home and relaxed throughout. It is my first thOugh so I don't have anything to compare it too. I did get annoyed with people saying to me when they heard my choice "oooo aren't you brave?"! Grr! No, just sensible ;)

Im a first time mommy and i had my LO naturally at the hospital!

I drank RLT from 27 weeks, and took EPO from 37 weeks and spent probably 20 hours bouncing on my ball. I read ina may's guide to natural childbirth twice, hypnobirthing, and 2 other natural birthing books.

I saw a dr on my due date who tried to induce me, but i fought it for 2 days and was finally given the ok to continue with the pregnancy as long as i monitored my Blood Pressure and went in if i had any symptoms of preclampsia.

At 40 +3 i went into labour after a 4 mile walk - i was determined to walk her out LOL... and i stayed at home convincing myself it was false labour for 6 hours. Pain was quite managable and it was only cause my FIL was bugging me cause the contractions were 4 minutes apart that i agreed to go to the hospital. When i got there i was 5cm dilated and walked around the labour ward for an hour and came back and was 6cm. That was 10pm. By 1:30am i was 9cm dilated and she was born at 2:50 after 45 minutes of pushing.

I did it all with no pain relief at all. But there was definately a point around 7cm that i was thinking i could get an epi and it probably wouldn't affect the rest of the birth. But then i talked myself out of it. Then back into it, then back out :haha:

Totally do-able and worth it. But please go into it open minded - i would hate to see mom's feel guilty because they asked for pain med's because you were set on natural birth.

I had a mantra i repeated in my head i read in one of my natural birthing books "labour hurts, its hard work, and its worth it" - i found it really helped to say it over and over in my head during contractions.

Good Luck :hugs:

I am wanting to do a natural birth so bad! There would only be reason I cant :(

My husband is currently deployed and only allowed to come home for two weeks which will be when baby is due. We have talked about it and brought it up to doctor and I want to do a water birth. It is the plan only thing is...

If husbands two weeks are almost up and baby is not born I will be induced :( Im hoping this doesnt happen but I wouldnt let my husband miss this for the world. Just having my fingers crossed that hubby will be home in time for baby to be born and that we can do this naturally!

Gosh Daddiesgift, that is some pressure! 2 weeks.. esp when term is a window of 4 wks? When is his leave booked for? Is it from 37wks, or at your EDD?

How would you feel about baby coming before your husband isn't on leave?

.. and I guessing from the above you have already decided that if you haven't entered labour spontaneously before his leave is up (prob in the first week, so you have support and time to bond) then you have decided that you will be induced?

I really feel for you - surely there must be something else that can be done if you are post EDD and hub is on leave. Do you feel there is no way it can be extended? Otherwise you have a small window of a few days, that ideally that you want to give birth naturally in.

It's a horrible situation, you have to balance your need for your husband against the safety of your birth and your baby.
Lots of love to you xxx

Gosh Daddiesgift, that is some pressure! 2 weeks.. esp when term is a window of 4 wks? When is his leave booked for? Is it from 37wks, or at your EDD?

How would you feel about baby coming before your husband isn't on leave?

.. and I guessing from the above you have already decided that if you haven't entered labour spontaneously before his leave is up (prob in the first week, so you have support and time to bond) then you have decided that you will be induced?

I really feel for you - surely there must be something else that can be done if you are post EDD and hub is on leave. Do you feel there is no way it can be extended? Otherwise you have a small window of a few days, that ideally that you want to give birth naturally in.

It's a horrible situation, you have to balance your need for your husband against the safety of your birth and your baby.
Lots of love to you xxx

The joy of being an US Army wife. When they deploy to afghanistan for a year they only get two weeks r&r home doesnt matter what for birth, sickness, or just some time off only 15days before they come home for good. They wont extend for anything. So it is alot of pressure Im hoping he comes a week before my due date and a week after but he said its going to be first of the month (im due 13th..they dont give exact dates when they arrive cause flights ect are crap ) I was hoping he would come a week before I was due and leave a week after due date. But you never really know you just have to prepare youself.

If baby comes early then thats that, Ill be sad but cant help it. I still plan on doing the natural water birth, taken alot for me to come to that conclusion cause I didnt want to do it alone but just have to tell myself im a strong woman! We have no family in this country so I will only have a couple of friends for support. If hubby comes and baby comes while he is here we plan to do natural thing the only time I wont is if they have to induce me if he is getting ready to leave, they told me water birth is not an option at that point. :cry: I wont induce early before due date because im doubting he will leave before due date I know it will be after due date.

I just try to hope for the best because I will be devestated if he misses it (not due to baby though) or if I cant go through with the plans we have (also if its not babies "fault") we ttc for over two years and this was something he wanted so bad so I just try to be grateful that we got pregnant in the first place, it was sad that they said he had to deploy so soon and while I was pregnant. But thats usually how it goes. Ive never seen a man so into a pregnancy or child before. It breaks my heart to see him on webcam watch the ultrasound videos and cry :cry:. I know he would be so upset if he missed the birth.

ANYWHO just hoping for the best and trying my BEST not to worry about it and just go with the flow and see what happens! (sorry this kind of turned into my vent) :blush:

Please dont be sorry for how you feel. I can only try to imagine how this is effecting you and making you feel.. you are trying to do the best for everyone and you are in the middle.

You are a strong women, I can tell that, I REALLY hope that baby comes when it is best for all.

Hey there is lots that you can do to get baby moving just after EDD, not just the drips etc, try:
Walks, spicy food, some sweeps, orgasims, nipple stimulation, Sex (if he is back), protoglandin gel, exhaust all these possibilities first, then you can try the hospital induction.

There is plenty for hope! :)
XxX

:hugs: hugs for you daddiesgift!!! I can't even imagine :(

Ladies I just got terrible news... my midwife says the babies head is way too high and it's quite likely I'll need a c-section if it doesn't drop... :( my all natural plans might be out the window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->