Fish oil

crazycatlady5

Reaction score
Is anyone taking fish oil supplements during pregnancy? I have just heard I should be doing this but hadn't heard that previously. Apparently it's really good for baby cognitive development.

Make sure they are not made from fish livers, it's the overdose of vitamin A that can be harmful. Read the side of the bottle and if in doubt contact the manufacturer.

I do take a safe fish oil supplement, DHA is shown to have a positive impact on neuron development during pregnancy.

I take one capsule most days, even when not pregnant. I think it's 800 mg, and a combination of Omega3s and 6s. I don't each much meat so I figure it's a good way to get the Omega3s that are hard to get from plant sources. I took this when pregnant with DS also.

I actually take fermented cod liver oil, it's disgusting but very good for you.

I took some early on but it gave me fish flavour burps (gross!) and eventually they made me gag, now even seeing the bottle can make me physically sick. Wish I still could take them but it isn't worth it to puke constantly. I have the shivers just thinking about them ...

Cod liver oil is not recommended for pregnancy. High levels of vitamin A can cause deformities. This is the reason the drug Accutane is prohibited during pregnancy.

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1757.aspx?CategoryID=54&

Cod liver oil is not recommended for pregnancy. High levels of vitamin A can cause deformities. This is the reason the drug Accutane is prohibited during pregnancy.

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1757.aspx?CategoryID=54&

Our bodies process vitamins differently depending on ratios, for example i don't just take vitamin d3 alone but rather, I take a special formula of d3 combined with k2 so my body can process is efficiently. It works the same with fermented cod liver oil, also not to be confused with regular cod liver oil, there are tons of amazing benefits for pregnant and nursing mothers (for every one really but obviously right now we are talking about expectant mothers) here's a couple pieces of info...

Is fermented cod liver oil safe for pregnant/nursing mothers, children, and infants?
Yes. Many of the concerns pregnant women have about vitamin A toxicity should be quelled by the fact that FCLO provides vitamin A (and other nutrients) in balance as they occur in the natural, whole food of cod liver. Food-based nutrients are not the same as synthetic, isolated nutrient supplements and often do not carry the same toxicity dangers.

Cod liver oil contributes to bone health, preventing bone and muscle pain and joint pain.
Vitamin-rich cod liver oil has been shown to support the health of pregnant women by improving the fatty acid profile of their breast milk to optimize brain health in the infant.
Traditionally, infants were given cod liver oil to support immune health until Dr. Spock began to recommend vaccinations in its place.
Vitamin A has long been shown to aid in vision health in diabetics and non-diabetics alike.
FCLO promotes proper absorption of calcium and magnesium, thereby helping to normalize blood pressure.
Inflammatory conditions like colitis and Crohn’s have been shown to improve with the type of omega 3s in FCLO moreso than to medications often prescribed.
Taken orally or applied topically, fermented cod liver oil helps to improve the quality of skin, both on the face and for issues of rashes, diaper rash, wrinkles, and more.
The vitamin A in fermented cod liver oil has been shown to be protective against cancer.

Sorry for the novel haha, I just think we should really know about supplements and not just follow without question the recommendations from the fda or doctors which has numerous times in history proven to be inaccurate.

Also just to be clear this info is based on specifically fermented cod liver oil, I can speak for regular synthetic cod liver oil.

I take a prenatal with omega's in it. I have been advised against taking flax supplements so I stopped taking supplements made from flax seed oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->