Flu in pregnancy?

Missjewell1

Reaction score
I'm 12 weeks pregnant and I've had the flu for nearly three weeks now! Is this normal? I've never felt so unwell in all my life. My whole body aches. I'm hot then I'm cold. Headaches, sort throat, earache, a bad chest and blocked sinuses! I've literally had it all. I've been off work for the majority of the 3 weeks because when I go to work I struggle so bad and get so exhausted. Some days I have trouble eating, like today for example I haven't eaten a single thing all day. I'm so fed up of feeling this way now. Surely it can't be good for the baby? I don't know what to do. The doctors won't give me anything for it. How can I help myself get better? And fast?? Does anyone have any advice? I need to get back to good health and back to work as soon as possible :-(

Emily

I had flu in previous pregnancy i had upper/lower resp infection and was on 2 courses of antibiotics.

Id go see your doc or even another to check you havent developed an infection that does now need treatment.

In total mine last 6 weeks. get well soon.

My doctors won't prescribe anything either...even with a high fever and heavy symptoms :wacko: I've been lucky to have the flu 3 times since pregnant...I didn't even know that was possible lol.

Sipping apple cider vinegar, honey, and ginger with some warm water helped to clear me out and ease throat tenderness from coughing. Taking a very warm bath with epsom salts eased body aches and pain. Taking a Benadryl and Tylenol (both on approved list) helped me to sleep and breath again as well. Stay hydrated as that's key to cleansing the virus out of your body and eat light (but do eat!). Your body had to divert 65% of it's energy resources to digest food so eating clean for a few days gives it a leg up to overcome the sickness. Hard to do but you will feel better!

Get well soon and maybe we should look at the silver lining that our babies wil hopefully have some great immunities lol.

I had flu with my first pregnancy when I was 11 weeks. I was so ill I didn't get off the sofa for a week and was still feeling the tail end of it at nearly 14 weeks. I didn't go to my gp as I knew he'd do nothing. I think just take it easy and try to focus on getting better, your baby is probably being looked after before your body looks after you

I've had flu, a chest infection, sinitis and now a cold!! (And I'm 11 weeks).

Doc did give me antibiotics for the chest after 3 weeks. My DD is at nursery and seems to bring everything home :(

I was told not to worry about bubs - apparently we take the hit!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"