• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Flu shot?

lovenoel

Reaction score
I've been reading about flu shots and have read that they are beneficial during pregnancy. I'm hesitant because I've never had one before and am not eager to figure out if I have side effects while I'm pregnant for the first time. I'm 8w5d.

I stay at home currently and am not exposed to much - but my husband goes to work. We're located in the Northeast U.S. Maybe if I don't get a shot, he should?

We have a prenatal visit with the doctor in a week and I'll bring it up then. My husband is totally against me getting the shot while pregnant.

Did you/are you going to have a flu shot while pregnant?

Midwife recommended it but I haven't done yet, not sure if I will.
xo.

I Wouldn't get it done .. everytime I had one it just made me really sick .. if u plan to stay home. N stay warm then I don't think u should get it xx .. just make dh get it lol

I had mine at 9 weeks and it was fine. I'm scared of needles so I didn't overly want it- but I'm a pharmacist and lots of sick people come in to see me, so I figured I'm at a higher risk of catching flu and thought it was best not to risk it.

If you don't want it you should definitely make your DH suffer... lol

My best advice is only take a doctors advice... the ladies on here mean so well and give thoughtful input but only a doctor can give a trustworthy opinion on a medical issue... My BFF is 35 weeks but she got her shot at around 12 weeks.. her doctor actually said she was negligent not to, as the baby will have the extra coverage 6 months post birth and gain a lot from that. That being said I know its a personal choice of course, but trust whatever your doctor tells you. They know what is safe and best.

This is a useful link I think: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/pregnant.htm

Getting the flu shot isn't unsafe while in your 1st trimester if that's what you are wondering. It's a possiblity that you can sick as a dog afterwards but it still won't harm the baby. I, personally, am not gettin one. I haven't gotten one since 2002 and my kids have never gotten one. My mother who is in the healthcare is always telling to get one

Thank you everyone! I actually did end up calling my doctor's office this morning and I was told by the nurse that while they do recommend the shot, it's a personal choice. They don't offer it in his office so I feel comfortable that they won't push it on me if they don't feel that it is necessary. I guess for now my husband and I will wait until our doctors appointment next week and see what he advises then. I did meet the doctor a week ago and he didn't bring it up then, so I'm guessing it's not super urgent.

I ALMOST ran out of the house this AM to get the shot but I guess I might as well wait until I talk to the doctor so I can feel 100% good about whichever I choose. And hope that we don't get the flu during the next week!

A lot of doctors swear by the flu and some just get because they have to get it. It all depends on the doctor and how that doctor personally feels about the flu shot.

It's recommended to women in all trimesters here when they get their first letter through about the first midwife appointment but it's personal choice. It's also all over radio ads heh. I got it at 7 weeks.

When I get ill, I get it bad. A simple cold will always turn serious. Last time my husband had a cold, he was over it in a day and a half but he passed it to me - I ended up with the flu, a chest infection and a lung infection so severe that I was functioning with essentially just one lung.

I'm taking no risks :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->