flying in the first trimester

dreams

My beautiful baby Ffion
Reaction score
I wanted to share my experience of going abroad. I thought it would be ok but how wrong was i. I would never do it if i was pregnant again.

I flew out at 7 weeks, i was tired before i got on the plane and i was fighting to keep myself awake in the airport.
It was a 4 hour flight i was constantly running back and fourth to the toilet and the turbulence made me feel even more sick. It really didn't help there was no getting away from the different smells of perfume, food etc.

Whilst i was there i didn't have any energy and m/s was awful, there were days where i didn't leave the house because i couldn't stop myself going sick and when i went sick on the street with people walking past me looking disgusted like i was drunk in the middle of the day or something well that was the final straw lol.

The flight home was at 9 weeks, i really didn't know if i'd be able to make it. I had the worst headache ever and i think i went sick about 4 times on the way to the airport. I tried to sleep on the plane but i couldn't so i just closed my eyes and pretended i was at home in my own bed lol. You don't have anywhere to escape on the aeroplane and i couldn't deal with it. I've never been so glad to be at home ever.

Since i came home i decided to catch the flu haha so i've been in bed ever since. I've started to feel a little better yesterday and today but i haven't left the house yet.

I just wanted to share this with everyone because i did do some research before going, i was really considering cancelling but i thought it would be ok etc etc

I competely regret going now i wish i would have waited a few more weeks.

Moral of the story don't fly medium-haul in your first trimester!

I'm sorry you had such a terrible time in your 1st trimester its no fu traveling let along flying at the best of time it's so tiring, especially when pregnant and feeling dreadful at that. I travel a lot as i work for an airline as a flight attendant but not working on flights at the moment. I have been lucky with my 11st tri and still feel ok at the moment so go to Barcelona every month we have place near there, but if I feel I'm starting to suffer I will be staying put as flying makes it feel a whole lot worse. I hope you start to feel better soon and maybe you will feel up to a small break before your bubs is born,take care honey.hopefully your sickness will pass very soon as your hormones should calm down around the 12wks mark. Get those ginger biscuits down your neck with a nice cuppa xxx

aww sorry you had such a bad experiance!! i was dreading this also as i flew at 9 weeks pregnant for a 4 hour flight, i had such bad sickess with my last pregnancy that i thought it would be the same and was really worried but did not want 2 cancel cos was expensive.... but i was really lucky! the flight did not effect me at all, however i would never go abroad when pregnant again as the heat almost killed me, its was terrible never again lol

Aww really sorry you had such a bad experience. Thats probably why they say you should only fly in your 2nd tri
Xxx

I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. When I'm feeling sick and tired I think everything makes me feel worse and being stuck so close to other people would be a total nightmare. Still I don't think it should put everyone off because some people probably wouldn't have any trouble at all. I don't think I would now but a few weeks ago it would have made me feel terrible.

We went on holiday, 4 1/2 hour flight, when I was 8 weeks.

Was fine on the plane, but couldn't eat hardly anything while we were away. I lived on toast, buttered crusty bread and chips!

Came back when I was 9 weeks, flight was fine, but the day after I had a stinking cold, then the day after that I was at the Doctors where he told me I had bronchitis!

Was put on a course on antibiotics which did the trick, but I didn't move out of the house for 8 days after we got back, I had no energy at all!

I'm sure I picked something up on the flight home, or maybe it was coming from the heat back into our crappy weather, but I'm fine now thank God :)

going in the car makes me feel sick and tired nevermind a plane!

I flew to visit my my mom at about 6 weeks, she wanted to see me as soon as I told her and bought a ticket for the next day. The trip wasn't too bad, but I hadn't started to be too sick yet and the flight is just over an hour. I'm kind of dreading going again at christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->