Flying - what are the guidelines?

Lazy Leo

Reaction score
Hiya, can anyone tell me what the guidelines are for flying when pregnant. Am I right in thinking that it's second tri that's the safest time? Have any of you flown - how comfy / uncomfy does it get?

Flying is fine when pregnant up until about 34 weeks. The only issue is that when pregnant, you have an increased chance of getting DVT. You can get DVT socks though. I'd let your GP know that you're flying too.

ithink its also 34 weeks cause they dont want you in labour on the plane lol

I went on hols in April and was told I had to be back before I was 28 weeks. Wasnt too uncomfy but my ankles did swell quite nicely which is unusual for me.

Check with your insurance company as you may need to get a fitness to fly form from your GP - they wouldnt let me on the plane on the way back before I had shown it to them!

xxx

I flew in my second trimester and was fine. Had no probs whatsoever. A couple of weeks later there was a possibility that I needed to fly again, and I needed to change my docs appt. When my doctor heard about this she insisted on examining me and giving me a docs note that I was OK to fly, even though I was nowhere near the cut off point for flying - think sometimes they are a bit OTT over here and want to cover themselves!

Different airlines have different cut off dates for accepting pregnant women, some say 28 weeks, some go to 32 weeks with an accompanying docs note. Check with the airline you want to fly with.

I'm going away to Spain next weds and cos I'm only going to be 20 weeks when flying and 21 weeks when returning I haven't even thought about telling my doc. Should I??? x

I never bothered the first time I flew in my 2nd trimester, it was pure coincidence that the doc found out I was flying again, as I had to change my appt.

I think as long as you have had a problem free pregnancy up to now, then you´ll be OK. If you have had any scares or bleeding, I would check with your doc first.

No i've not had any problems so far so I should be ok then fingers crossed x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->