Folic Acid ???????????????

Jenren

Reaction score
Hi Girlies

Quick question - Can you OD on folic acid ??

Ive been taking Folic acid 400ug for about 2 months now and for the last couple of weeks started taking Multi vits. Only just noticed that the multi vits have 200ug of Folic acid in them :dohh:

Can you OD ?? :blush:

Jen xx

I dont think so, some people take more than others also... though i wouldnt take too much :lol:

Got this of net doctor.

Question
Is it possible to take too much folic acid?

I am planning a pregnancy and I need guidance on taking folic acid.

The NetDoctor advice says to take a 400mg supplement daily - I note that my daily breakfast of Special K gives me 98mg already, so if I take the supplement too is there any danger?

Likewise, once I am pregnant, would there be any danger to the baby if I took over 400mg?

Answer
There is no danger in taking too much folic acid.

This vitamin is not one that accumulates or can cause any adverse effects (for mother or baby) if taken in a high dose.

Your body is easily able to get rid of any excess if you have more than you need.

The reason that everyone is advised to take a supplement is that even if you eat a balanced diet with fortified cereals and breads it is still difficult to obtain enough folic acid to protect a baby against neural tube defects such as spina bifida.

So, it is important to take a regular folic acid supplement containing 400 micrograms daily, and this should be continued until the end of the 12th week of pregnancy.

I have been taking 800mg of folic acid since we first started ttc. 800mg is the recommended dose here in the US and is what is in all the prenatal vits. Since you are only taking 600mg, you are fine and that is actually a good amount to take. 400mg is the minimum.

what multivit is it? if it only has 200 micrograms then it's not enough if it's meant for the first trimester or preconception. you should have 400 micrograms until at least 12 weeks, although theres no harm taking it longer than that or taking a higher dose (by the way - mg stands for miligrams which is 1000 micrograms. micrograms is ug)

I did exactly the same!! but my doctor told me that anything over 400 comes out in your urine so don't worry. You take 400 per day but then cabbage and things contain folic acid too so in short the answer to your question is no you can't overdose on folic acid but you can on other vitamins. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->