Following on from nudity thread....

I think I'ma use the proper words, seems a bit daft when they're just names, like knee or nose or leg, my parents never called it the real thing and it took me years to get past not being able to say the real words. Penis and vagina isn't that bad, surely? :p
PS I do think some of the names you girls use are really cute, and rather creative!

Thanks guys I have a few ideas now I quite like minky, lol. I just hate the words vagina and penis soooo clinical and tbh I guess as much as I'm fine walking around naked, lol I feel awkward with those words, and wldn't wanna pass the awkwardness on!

There are a few good ideas on here, girls bits are kinda what sits 'normal' for me. guess time will tell, lol might not even have this problem is turns out having a boy! hehe

IMHO, I think that kids should know the proper name for every body part they have. Whether it is their arm, penis, nose, vagina, legs, testicles, etc. Reason being, if my kid was ever sexually abused by someone it makes it a lot easier for the kid to explain EXACTLY where they were touched.

Now, if kids don't want to use the proper term at home or whatever, that's fine. But, I still think it's something that every kid should know the proper terms before they start school.

For me, it's not about the risk of sexual abuse, I'm not paranoid. But I think children should be taught the proper words so that they don't grow up being ashamed of the words or the parts themselves. It says a lot that there are sooooo many women who use this site who can't use the words now as adults who are actually HAVING BABIES!!! If you are mature enough to be having a baby you should be able to name the relevant parts of your anatomy IMO.

That said, I appreciate that vagina is a tricky word for a child just learning to talk, so I'm happy to use another word until they get a bit older.

its a nooonie!! lol i still call it a noonie now from when i was litle... girls have noon's n boys have willies! even my bf has refers to them as that now!

For me, it's not about the risk of sexual abuse, I'm not paranoid. But I think children should be taught the proper words so that they don't grow up being ashamed of the words or the parts themselves. It says a lot that there are sooooo many women who use this site who can't use the words now as adults who are actually HAVING BABIES!!! If you are mature enough to be having a baby you should be able to name the relevant parts of your anatomy IMO.

That said, I appreciate that vagina is a tricky word for a child just learning to talk, so I'm happy to use another word until they get a bit older.

Personilty i disagree with this

either way it is what it is!

i think you would agree, you would rather here mums to be call there bits noonoos and minnies then C words and D words

Just my opionion :)

Sorry im really thick and have no idea what that word means lol

when i was growing up i remember my great nan calling it 'little lady' or 'front bum' lol xxx

I want Anna to know what her body parts are called. However, It can be awkward as kids tend to talk about EVERYTHING haha and it can be embarrassing for mums if their kids fall over on an icey street and come running up saying, "Mummy my vagina hurts!"... Okay maybe an odd example but it is the best I could come up with.

I think I will just see what feels right when she is old enough to be asking, and might end up using both i.e. "girls have vagina's, boys have penis's but we call them Minnie's and Willie's because it sounds nicer :)" or something like that. I don't know if that will be too complex for them to understand but I will see as I go along and go with what feels right.

As for when they are older, I am not sure yet whether I will be taking Anna out of health education classes as they are too sexualised (i.e. 6 and 7 year olds being taught about condoms and sexual health, as I do believe this is to young) I agree that children need to know the proper names for the parts of their bodies. My sister was always really uncomfortable with the word 'vagina' and it turned out that at the age of 18 she didn't even know that her urethra was separate from her vagina - she was pregnant at the time, and she honestly thought the baby came from the same place that she peed from! She had no idea there was a third whole, which the wee came from which was a tube that lead to the bladder. I mean my God this is basic information that people should just know - people should know about their bodies.

However I would rather teach Anna myself and make it more like "body education" I will teach her the parts of her body, where they are and what they do i.e. what happens every month with periods and what she can expect as she reaches puberty. I will not be teaching her about sex until she reaches puberty or if she seems curious / asks me about it. In that case I will then teach her about sex i.e. "when a man and woman love each other they might have sex. This is where the man puts his penis into the woman's vagina. etc etc" I will answer any questions that she has honestly and fully. And I will tell her that people should not have sex, or touch each other in sexual places (breasts, vagina, willy etc) unless both partners love each other and feel ready and like they want to, and that the legal age to do it is 16. I will also teach her about safe sex as soon as she knows what sex is; she will know that sex can lead to pregnancy and how, she will know how to have sex and avoid pregnancy, and I will be giving her information on sexual health services like her local drop in clinic and let her know where she can get contraception from. I will also at this point teach her all about STI's and STDs.

But that will all come much, much later - as I do not believe that children below puberty should be concerned with sexual issues or ideas.

Health issues and knowing their own body I believe is very important, but knowing you have a vagina (and knowing the proper word for it!) does not need to mean knowing about sex, which most schools seem to be unaware of! I was shocked to see that there was even talk of bringing the age you are taught sex education down to 4! Children don't need to know about sex - and the longer I can protect Anna from that, the better. I also don't want her preoccupied with ridicules ideas of whether she is attractive or 'sexy'. I saw a child in gap once asking her mum to buy her a thong (looked about 6!) :shock: Since when do they make thongs for six year olds!

Anyway, sorry for that essay. In short, I think I will be teaching Anna the proper names for things :) As I think it is important for a person to know all about your body and how it works - it is basic general knowledge - good to know ;)

Just wanted to say, I'm a primary teacher and sex education is really closely prescribed. Children in primary school currently do not learn about contraception. The talk at 10/11 is mainly about puberty and what to expect. The thing about bringing sex education into PSHE lessons at 4 was really blown out of proportion. It wouldn't be about how sex works, that would still be left until Key Stage 2, it was suggested as naming the parts of the body correctly and knowing that animals have babies.

People seem to get so embarrassed as adults about sexual matters, I think that children are completely able to cope with information about their bodies when given clear messages.

Just wanted to say, I'm a primary teacher and sex education is really closely prescribed. Children in primary school currently do not learn about contraception. The talk at 10/11 is mainly about puberty and what to expect. The thing about bringing sex education into PSHE lessons at 4 was really blown out of proportion. It wouldn't be about how sex works, that would still be left until Key Stage 2, it was suggested as naming the parts of the body correctly and knowing that animals have babies.

People seem to get so embarrassed as adults about sexual matters, I think that children are completely able to cope with information about their bodies when given clear messages.

Tbh, I think it must be different in every school. I am not long out of education myself, and still remember primary school. We were taught about sex in year 6 (around 10 years old) but I have a family member who has just gone through sex education recently at a younger age, who came home from school and said to their Dad, "Dad I know what sex is". Her Dad not sure what to make of it just asked, "Do you?", to which she replied, "Yes it is when the man puts his penis in the girls vagina and the little sperms swim up and meet an egg that makes a baby!" :shock: That's at the age of 8.

I agree that children are able to cope with information about their bodies, but don't think that needs to include information about sex.

That's just my opinion and what I want for my daughter. Others are bound to disagree of course they are, but I'm not saying no children should be taught sex education - I am just saying that I will opt Anna out of sex education in primary school and teach her about her body myself instead. That is not because I am embarrassed by sexual matters - if Anna ever asks me about anything to do with sex or her body she will get a clear answer. It is not to say she will not have information about her body either, she will just not be given information about sex - as at an age, pre-puberty, I do not feel there is any need for them to be thinking about sex.

My parents used vagina, pee pee, and private parts interchangably. I probably will too. I always knew the word vagina. And it doesn't bother me in the slightest. But that's not all it was called in my home growing up--of that makes any sense.

Tasha, I agree with a lot of what you say. I think children are too sexualised these days. However, I see no harm in teaching the very basics of the "birds and the bees" at around 8 years old, especially if they are curious!

I wanted to know where babies came from and my mum talked to me about it when I was 7. It didn't make me think in a sexual way at all.

I also think it is very difficult to protect children from it in our society. If you pull your little girl out of SE classes she will hear all about it from the other kids anyway. I think the way I would tackle that situation is to let my child go to the class (assuming it's as bad as it sometimes appears) but make sure I teach them the same facts in the way I would like to as well.

when i was little my mum taught me n my sister to call it a "flower"....
Now i just call it minky lol

I always told Rachel it's a "front bum", ha ha

On the whole sex education front, i think should make sex education a little early, cos i started sex education in year 6, but started my period in year 4, and had no idea what the hell was going on and i thought i was about to die lol

both my girls call theirs 'their bits' xx

What a great thread!!!
It's so interesting to hear everyones points, and beliefs, and words for parts!!

I never even thought about this before. I'm thinking we'll just call them by their real names, but i guess we'll have to wait and see how it really turns out!

ps- fannies over here mean 'bum'. lol

:rofl: that one always confused me, cos in sabrina the teenage witch there was that song

shake your wammy fanny!

i always tought now the hell are you gonna shake your minnie! lol :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->