for 6month+ only?

Ang1873

Mum to amazing wee girl.
Reaction score
ok, i know - LO is 4 months but i can just tell, she needs more (please no judgements!)

do you think baby led weaning is just for 6 month olds?

at 4 months LO has only just starting putting hand to mouth - if i am to wean early am i destined to spoon feed? BLW makes much more sense to me - but LO needs more now!!

thanks!

It's quite typical for them to demand an insane amount of milk at 4 months, mine was at 70+ oz a day (we started BLW at 6.5 months). Have you read the BLW book by Gil Rapley (the main BLW book)? It's a great place for you to start. I can't remember the specific parts about age, but it discusses why and when it starts at 6 months and how to deal with the 4 month growth spurt. Rapley herself I believe states you can give them food items to suck on (ie. a banana) after 4 months but remember that in the BLW process, it can take several months before they actually start 'eating' the food! Mine just started actually swallowing food about a week ago :)

We started at five months. I give cereal once a day and let him hold food at our meal times. So sort of doing both. BLW doesn't give nutrition at the beginning because they need to figure out how to actually get the food to their mouths, chew and swallow. Tahgs why I chose to do cereal as well. We decided on this after Bubs added a feed at night and doubled his other feeds. Even when that spurt ended his regular amount was so high I decided it was time to start solids.

It's quite typical for them to demand an insane amount of milk at 4 months, mine was at 70+ oz a day (we started BLW at 6.5 months). Have you read the BLW book by Gil Rapley (the main BLW book)? It's a great place for you to start. I can't remember the specific parts about age, but it discusses why and when it starts at 6 months and how to deal with the 4 month growth spurt. Rapley herself I believe states you can give them food items to suck on (ie. a banana) after 4 months but remember that in the BLW process, it can take several months before they actually start 'eating' the food! Mine just started actually swallowing food about a week ago :)

WSS^^^ - if you think baby is really hungry, milk is the most calorific, but if you are sure you want to wean I don't think you'll notice much difference if you BLW as they don't 'eat' much to start with, if anything.

We started at 5.5 months - its not recommended to give wheat / meat / dairy etc before 6 months IIRC so just fruit and veg to start with - which isn't filling really its what we'd eat on a diet IYSWIM :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->