For the unmarried ladies (or married ladies who kept their own name)

can't be much help hon sorry, we're giving bub OH's name x

That is helpful! It is entirely possible I'm being oversensitive about the whole thing..... does it not bother you at all that you'll have different names?

not at all honey.
if all goes well R (OH) and i will be getting married eventually anyway (we jsut cant afford it right now), and if it doesnt happen,for whatever reason. the child will still be R's.
but nah i see it i guess as i way for R to still feel involved with his child, as i'm carrying it, and will hopefully be breast feeding, and R will be working full time.
so i think it will help him bond.
x

i am undecided. as for the whole mrs thing, i too have to work with databases and its easy to get names wrong etc! i once contacted a parent and called her child after her rather than oh,as it was. she went mental bt its an easy mistake!

Thanks for all the input ladies! I'm still not sure how I'll handle things but I've got loads of food for thought...... x

Me and OH are not married.... our kids have my surname.... it was more so decided by him. I was easy either way. But he said to give them mmy surname so we did. They have his surname tho as their middle names. So its Joani Rodgers Maliska and Elinor Rodgers Maliska. And this baby will be getting his surname for his/her middle name too :)

We have been together for 10 yrs now and have no plans of splitting but maybe possible plans for marriage. And then I will still keep my own surname cos his is too common ahahaha i like mines! :rofl:

Kaya actually has OH's mum's maiden name as I really don't like his last name, she does have his last name as a middle name. This one will be the same.

This is really no question for me. We're not married yet, but when we do marry, there's no question! Of course I'm taking his name... and of course our children will have his name. I'm not a feminist, so I really couldn't take that honor away from my OH. (I call him my husband because that's how I see him and how I feel about him, plus we're 'common law' husband and wife anyway.) Plus, I think about all of the work that I did with genealogy and working on my family tree (I went back as far as the 600s in Wales on one side)... you really have no idea how much harder it would have been if anyone just gave their kids any surname they wanted to.

We're giving our little one OH's last name . We're getting married next year and I'll be taking Rob's last name too .

Thanks for all the input ladies! I'm still not sure how I'll handle things but I've got loads of food for thought...... x

Just please don't shout at your nursery if they get LO's name wrong LOL! :rofl:

I've just read through this thread, lots of interesting food for thought.

Myself and OH have discussed this a few times but I'm not sure if we have reached a firm decision.

He has an unusual surname, always has to spell it out, it's normally then still spelled wrong on bills etc. It annoys him and he is therefore reluctant for the baby to have his name.

But I would prefer the baby to have his name because I would be worried otherwise that people would not be sure whether or not he was the father, e.g. when registering the child for school etc. It's not really that I'm worried about people's comments but I'd just hate to think that people were wondering if he was the real dad. So I would much prefer for the baby to have his name. I don't think people make the same assumptions if the mother has a different surname because in the majority of cases the children stay with the mother if the relationship breaks up.

So I'm not sure what we will do, but I think the baby will probably have his name.

Were given our baby OH surname. We are not married. I would consider giving the baby a double barreled last name but our surnames sound daft together :-(

I'm unsure of what surname to give LO too, I want me and the baby to have the same name yet also like the tradition of the baby having his/her dad's name!! We have no intention of getting married either. Really don't fancy a double barrelled name so will have to do a lot of thinking and talking.....:?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->