For those who babywear...

SoldiersWifey

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
I have a question...?

I didn't wear my first child and I'm trying to do things a little differently with my little girl. I have a ring sling, (of which I've become a pro, finally!) I love it, but how do you wear your baby and still take around the things you need for the day?

I cloth diaper, bottle feed, plus reflux so I always need burp cloths and bibs, wallet, phone, keys,...how do you girls make day trips?
I have a diaper bag, but it's so bulky to carry around like that, plus hold my little boy's hand. I end up taking the stroller just so I have a place to put my diaper bag and shopping bags. :dohh: I'm sure I look silly, but I don't know what else to do!!

i just use a little back back, i take a few nappies some wipes (which i place in a small sandwich bag rather than taking the whole pack). and my change mat. I also take a toy with me for if he gets bored but that attaches to my mei tai. It will obv get harder when he is older but you can fit a lot into one back pack, even food shopping.

I manage ok when I go out without the pushchair but if I go shopping and start acquiring lots of bags it can get a bit of a handful.

Tbh, most of the time I wear my LO but when I go out for the day or go into town or something then I take the pushchair but 9 times out of ten I manage with LO in a carrier and my change bag on one shoulder.

Have you tried using a different carrier, that could help? I have a ring sling and LOVE it but not for long periods of time unless I'm at home and LO sleeps in it.

I'm currently loving my Connecta (based on a Mei Tai) but with buckles...I've finally mastered back carrying with it! :thumbup:

Any questions, give me a shout by PM! :flower:

x

Yeah I use a backpack too and then carry my shopping etc.

I didn't know much about baby-wearing until I started reading through these threads while I was pregnant. I've tried several sling type carriers, and she screamed in all of them. The only reason I tried the ring sling was because I went to a baby expo and tried her in one and she went immediately to sleep. I literally bought it right then and there!! :haha:

I would much prefer not to take the stroller with me, and if I'm grocery shopping I can put my bag under the cart so that's not a huge issue. It's more of the mall trips and whatnot. I don't want to be bogged down like a pack mule, but there are things I MUST have with me. I didn't really think about a smallish backpack :dohh:..I might do that. Maybe just leave it in the car for trips like that.

Another question, then. Kinda silly, too...
When I'm using my sling it's because I don't want to carry her carseat and stroller around a store so I stand outside my car and get situated. What do you do in the winter? Sorry if that's daft, I just really have no clue. :shrug:

x[/QUOTE]

i plan to carry dex even in winter, so far i have in the rain and cold. i just make sure his feet are warm in the mei tai and that he has enough layers on his top half. i always put him in a hat too. I just use an umbrella for the rain. If it was majorly raining i may think about using my buggy but I doubt it. In regards to snow i will use the buggy in case i slip over.

My Oh works from home so he is able to come with me to do shopping so i dont really have much advice for that, especially if i want to try on clothing. It has saved me a fortune in clothing bills though. hehe

Do you carry the baby and your sling into the store and then get situated? I mean, when it's cold out? I just can't imagine standing outside my car trying to get her into a sling when ice cold wind or rain is blowing like crazy into her face.
I am going to get one of those sherpa cover things for her carseat so that she'll not have contact with the elements, between house and car or car and store, but ideally I'd like to wear her.
When I put her carseat on the cart at the grocery store, I just can't see over the darn thing and am almost always about to knock things (or people) over. Not to mention, she HATES being in her seat and is so much more content in our sling.

Sorry if I seem like such a dingbat, sometimes it's the simple things I just can't seem to grasp! :dohh:

If i were you i would do it whilst inside and just carry her until then. I dont have a car so I just do it before leaving the house or wherever. I also don't really shop in a grocery store so i cant help on that one and if i do i baby wear and just buy minimal things or usually my boyfriend is with me as well. I do my food shopping online for the heavy things and we just buy in local shops for the rest.

If I am using my ring sling I get Freya into in before I get out of the car. If I am using the Mei Tai I go into the shop and put it on. I always use one of my slings when I am food shopping, I don't really see how other people do it?! Although if I get too close to the shelves Freya has started to grab stuff, I need to grow some longer arms, lol.

I always do the shopping on my own aswell, I find wearing Freya and pushing the trolley works really well.

:)

With my husband deployed, everything is done on my own at the moment. I've got a four year old, too so I'm always afraid of running him over in the store when I've got a giant carseat sitting on the cart. Lol..
I really do love my ring sling, but I'm still kinda getting used to it and sometimes it can take me a little while to get Emmalyn all comfy in it. I don't know how I would do it while sitting in the car? You should make a video for me! :winkwink:

Ideally, that's what I would do if I could figure it out!!

Lol there is no way I am making a video!!! :lol:

I have just realised Emmalyn is just over 2 months though, so you are prob doing a different carry to me, I do a hip carry with Freya.

If I am going out with my RS I put it on over my shoulder and just leave it on all the time I am out. Then I know it is in the right place ready to put Freya in it. I just put her on my hip and slide the material up her back. Done!

I guess it gets easier with practise?

:hugs:

I end up standing outside my car like a dummy trying to get her legs froggied up, tuck her in, tighten top and bottom usually only to realize that somehow I've manganged to make it too tight and bunched up by my neck or gotten the ring too low with all of my tugging. I then end up putting her back in the car, adjusting the material (as it's usually twisted by then) and then starting all over. It's a workout to say the least! I'd hate to imagine how many people are sitting in their cars in the parking lot trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing! :haha:
Once I get it on I absolutely love it, though! Lol...

I still carry her in a tummy to tummy hold. It's her favorite and I'll take the closeness for as long as she'll allow me. She's growing so fast already. :cry:

I still say a video would be wonderful. YouTube!!

Hm. I will do a video, but I haven't tried a front carry!! I will have a go :)

Lol..I'd really love it! There are a ton of video's on Youtube, but for some reason I'm still having a tough time. I definitely couldn't imagine sitting in the car, getting her out of her carseat and trying to get her in my RS, though that would be amazing! Then she would never be exposed to to any cold on her poor little skin. :thumbup:

Lol, I must admit it's the getting out of the car seat which is hard, Freya sits in the back, so it involves some funny stretching. I will do it tomorrow so Jake can film it for me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->