For those who use jars...

no matter if i made the time to cook zane wont eat what i make lol so oh is spending the weekend cookin n freezing meals for zane lol

Making someone out to be a rubbish mum because they use jars is terrible :(

i cant give zane too much fruit for snacks he gets the poops:dohh:

Can you once a month have an afternoon of cooking and make enough to freeze for the whole month?? Maybe get someone to mind grace?
It would save you a hell of alot of money too :) x

That is what I do, MIL has him for a whole day and I just cook, cook, cook!

just wanted to say, i hope you werent offended by my rant in the GS the other day! i wasnt saying people that use jars are bad, i was just having a stressy rant and it all came out wrong!!xx

I've only noticed nagative vibes on forums to be honest, no one has said anything to me when i do give elliot jars. We mix between jars and home made, i don't always get time to make stuff from fresh but when i do i make batches up and freeze them.

Ive looked on the ingredients and i dont see anything bad in the ones i give elliot? am i missing something? i know they get expensive though, which is why im trying my best to make more things myself now hes eating more!

keely.

I've only noticed nagative vibes on forums to be honest, no one has said anything to me when i do give elliot jars. We mix between jars and home made, i don't always get time to make stuff from fresh but when i do i make batches up and freeze them.

Ive looked on the ingredients and i dont see anything bad in the ones i give elliot? am i missing something? i know they get expensive though, which is why im trying my best to make more things myself now hes eating more!

keely.

My rule is that if I don't understand what it is, or even worse, can't pronounce it, I dont buy it.

I give harry jars for his lunch and he has what we have for dinner chopped up, i dont feel bad at all, i will prob give him sandwiches and things like that when hes a bit older but atm he is doing well so im not changing anything. He enjoys the jars (when its in his mouth and not all over him) so i dont see the problem.

As long as they have a healthy balanced diet surely it doesnt matter what from it comes in??

What i dont get with jars is this

How can just puree'd apples/potatoes/carrots sit in a jar on the shelf for months on end and not go off is they are purely what they say they are? There must be some form of additives/preservatives in them?

That being said i dont feel guilty at all, we have jars at lunchtimes (fruit based) as i find the combinations a lot better than what i could do home made, she also has some kind of fresh fruit or cucmber (thanks to Sparkle) to munch on, then dinner time is home cooked vegetables.

Theres nothing to feel guilty about imo, times have changed, not all women have the time to freshly prepare home made food all of the time

How can just puree'd apples/potatoes/carrots sit in a jar on the shelf for months on end and not go off is they are purely what they say they are? There must be some form of additives/preservatives in them?

That being said i dont feel guilty at all, we have jars at lunchtimes (fruit based) as i find the combinations a lot better than what i could do home made, she also has some kind of fresh fruit or cucmber (thanks to Sparkle) to munch on, then dinner time is home cooked vegetables.

Theres nothing to feel guilty about imo, times have changed, not all women have the time to freshly prepare home made food all of the time

They suck the air out I think, thats why they dont go off. could be wrong though?

They suck the air out I think, thats why they dont go off. could be wrong though?

Quite possibly, i have been reading the labels 20 million times to try and spot preservatives but they dont state there are any (Hipp jars)

It really baffled me :lol:

I don't think there is anything wrong with them. I don't use them for 2 reasons:

1. I follow BLW

2. I am at home all the time, and make all my own meals so its easy for me to give her some of mine.

If the above didn't happen, I'd probably feed jars.

Holly, I've been thinking the same thing - no idea :lol:

Lily has had jars for a long time until she wouldn't eat them anymore and wanted our food, so she gets what we're eating now. I haven't felt bad about using them and anyone who tried wouldn't like me to meet me :grr: How are we bad mothers? Ridiculous

I use jarred fruit, a lot of it is not in season and he preferrs it, and i used to use it a lot more when he was younger now he only gets it for fruit or when we are out.

i think they cook it at really high temperatures and put it into sterilised pots so it cant go off?? but thats what puts me off them really, you're never 100% sure what goes into them, there's surely got to be something added to it to keep it fresh!

I used them with my kids but was selective...I chose organic ones because if you look at the labels of say Gerber there is SO much added stuff in there, where Earths Best it's just the fruit/veggies/water maybe some absorbic acid (sp?). In stage 1 ones I don't think there is really any difference, the way they are jarred many don't have the perservatives, so in say bananas...all there is is bananas and water...which is how you would make it at home, besides possibly using breastmilk or formula which might add a bit more but there isn't anything wrong with the water. Nothing wrong with jarred :) I did do homemade and jarred mixed with Hayden, I just don't have the time to do all homemade

I use them if we are going out and I cant put her tea in a fridge or if letting her feed herself isnt really an option where we are going. So we went to the food show (ironically!) and I didnt want to carry homemade food around even in a cool bag - I just wouldnt trust it.
When Em was little I couldnt afford the jars so it was the powdered meals tht you mix with water - pretty much the same thing though. I dont think I had the confidence to cook for her TBH. I certainly had more time as I didnt work, I just dont think I knew where to start - it just seemed so daunting which now when I look back I dont really understand why, but it was.
My mum said that she fed us jars for 12 months. The reason being that she bought them when dad got paid and that way if they ran out of money and couldnt feed themselves, they always had food in the cupboard for me.
I think you shouldn't feel bad for using them. My mum bollocked my sister for stopping using them too soon so you cant win...:dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->