For those who've had full term and prem babies?

hopefully2

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just been thinking a bit tonight about the labour and delivery of this baby (18 weeks pregnant and previous baby was born at 28+6 weeks).

I've read both that a prem delivery is no different to a full term regarding pain etc and that its completely different so would love to hear it from the horses mouth ...... i think :wacko:

Also love to know how far you got on your pregnancy after your prem

My first daughter was born at 41 weeks +1 day and my pushing labor was only 20 minutes! Although I was in labor at home for 7 days the hospital labor came and went in a flash. Then 6 years later (11 months ago) I was 34 weeks +4 days and my placenta ruptered and I had to have an emergency c section. Because of my previous complications in 2006 (ruptered tube in May 06 and ruptered uterus Nov 06) I was due to have a c section delivery anyway at 37 weeks but didn't make it. When talking to my doctor he said that there is really no difference in the labor with a term baby and a preemie baby unless there are other complications which require a c section. He said that he has had many moms that had a preemie baby and then a term baby!! So according to him its all in the same just depends on complications you or your baby might have!!

Hope this helps a little!!

My first daughter was born at 41 weeks +1 day and my pushing labor was only 20 minutes! Although I was in labor at home for 7 days the hospital labor came and went in a flash. Then 6 years later (11 months ago) I was 34 weeks +4 days and my placenta ruptered and I had to have an emergency c section. Because of my previous complications in 2006 (ruptered tube in May 06 and ruptered uterus Nov 06) I was due to have a c section delivery anyway at 37 weeks but didn't make it. When talking to my doctor he said that there is really no difference in the labor with a term baby and a preemie baby unless there are other complications which require a c section. He said that he has had many moms that had a preemie baby and then a term baby!! So according to him its all in the same just depends on complications you or your baby might have!!

Hope this helps a little!!

2girlsandaboy,

Wow i'd say a ruptured placenta was a scary experience for you and your oh,

Yeah i've heard a few doc's and others saying well a contraction is a contraction and it doesn't matter if its a 2lb or 8lb baby but then i've had some friends and family etc saying if i go all the way this time i'll get some shock delivering a full term baby :wacko:

Great to hear from you x

Oh yes it was a complete surprise and definately not something I had ever even heard of!! I am hoping it does not happen this time around however if it does at least I fully know what to expect right!! They are right labor hurts the same no matter how big or small baby is!! My daughter was 7lbs and it didn't hurt terribly but my friend had. 1lbs 3oz and she said it hurt like he*l!! So it just depends!! I wouldn't be scared to go full term if I were you as long as you have been checked and you have no complications!!

So how's this pregnancy going for you so far?
I've had none of my previous complications yet so am feeling quietly confident.

Hi love. I had a full-term 9Ib son, then a 24wker weighing 1Ib 7ozs. I did have a spinal to get my preemie out quickly because I had a cervical stitch, but I had been in labour with her for a week before she was delivered. I can safely say my full-term son was much harder to deliver. The labour was longer, and pushing out a 9Ib baby was quite tough. The labour pains were painful with my preemie, but not as painful as with my son in the last stages of labour. Definitely different for me - not sure if that's because he was big tho. I had a c-section with my twins, so can't compare them x

It really seems like in the same way every pregnancy is different, so is every labour!
God what a difference for you, from a 9lber to a 1lber and twins too, you are an expert in many fields hee hee!

So how's this pregnancy going for you so far?
I've had none of my previous complications yet so am feeling quietly confident.

This one is going okay for me so far!! I am 31 weeks now and will be delivering between the 12th and the 17th of August. I will find out the exact date tomorrow :) I dont have any of the complications I had before except the possible uterine rupture if I carry too long. I also have the possibillity of another placenta abruption but it is not likely!! I have ultrasounds every couple weeks to check the babys status and the status of my placenta. But so far so good!!

i had a 41 weeker and then a 27 weeker and lastly a 31 weeker. The most painful was the 27 weeker because he was face up which is more common in prems. The birth was longer and soooo much more painful. Baby number 3 was by far the easiest. I'm 18 weeks now and expecting another prem due december but expecting about october.

Hey anna,

You really have every experience there!
My prem was face up to and i had a back labour, didn't know the face up bit was more common in prems.

I'm 19 weeks now and due in dec too, was thinking sept, oct to myself but getting quietly confident now as the weeks go on (prob silly!).

I hope we both see november :thumbup:

Poppy was 5lb 1 at 34 weeks and Florrie 6lb 13 at 36(+4). I found my second labour much easier but I think that was because with Poppy I was strapped to a monitor on a bed and not at all active. With Florrie I stayed at home and did a lot of walking round the garden and was 8cm by the time I got to hospital. I had her in an hour and the pushing stage was easier this time too.

i had my first at 27weeks my shortest labour but by far my most painful labour too n a different kind of pain it wasnt waves of pain like a normal labour but i had a placental abruption n ahd to have a drip to speed things up she was born 16min after me arriving at hospital

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->