Formula other than Nutriprem?

ihearttc

Reaction score
Just wanted some advice if possible?! I had Joseph at 32+5 on 23 November after I developed very sudden and severe pre-eclampsia. Thankfully he didn't need any help at all apart from an NG tube and weighed 3lb 8oz (was actually surprised he weighed that much to be honest as my first DS was born at 36 weeks and was 4lb 15oz so don't think I make big babies lol!)

Anyway he was on NP2 in hospital and he has come home on that. He's doing really well and is now 5lb 2oz last time he was weighed but he really isn't happy on Nutriprem and seems to be in pain for about an hour after he's been fed. Without being daft it seems like the milk is too heavy for his tummy to cope with...is that a common thing with this milk?

I ended up giving him a few cartons of the normal C&G over christmas as we had really frozen pipes and had no other way of making any milk and he was much better on those. He drank a bit more and generally seemed happier...don't know if it was because they were cartons or if the milk is agreeing with him more?

we've tried all the normal colic stuff such as infacol/dentinox cause I wondered if it was that that was causing him discomfort but its made no difference. Just wonedered if anyone was or had just used "normal" formula rather than the pre-term stuff and if it would make a massive difference to his weight gain-obviously I want him to put on weight but Id much rather he be happy and not in pain.

My DS1 also had Nutriprem for a while but he's nearly 6 and I cannot remember him being like this on! We've got to go back and see consultant in a week or so and will ask him then...we don't see outreach nurse anymore cause they've discharged us so can't really ask them.

Its not helping that he has got huge huge adenoids (at least I presume he has!) just like DS1 had and he ended up having them taken out at 2 years old because his breathing was so bad. Joseph basically can't really breathe through his nose at all so feeding is a complete nightmare as it is!

I'm not sure on the milk (heaviness and things) but if you do use c&g ( we used sma so not preemie specific either) see that you use multi vit supplements too :)

Thank you! Did you use SMA straight away or after a few months? We've got sytron which Im giving him every day anyway but the hospital didn't prescribe anything else...can always get them to prescribe some when we go back next week.

Ive just fed him about 30 mins ago and he is literally writhing around on the playmat and looks so uncomfortable bless him Im willing to try anything at this stage.

We used it as soon as we got home really. We went through 3 formulas til we found the right one for her. I know girls on here are better experience wuth nutriprem tho so they might know something xxx

Just a note to say that NutriPrem2 is pretty heavy - when Andrew was switched over from EBM to NP2, we were advised to do so gradually, mixing them and slowly increasing the proportion of NP2 in the mix.

My 2 are both on nutriprem2 (with some EBM a couple of times a day), they were both on the liquid formula in the hospital and then when they came home our GP gave us the powdered formula on prescription - is that the same as you? They both struggled and I think it was the change to the powder. We've now managed to get the GP to prescribe the liquid cartons and the change has been really noticeable - perhaps you could try that?

That's interesting - you'd think the guidelines for making up the powder would result in it being the same as the liquid.

Anyway, well done on getting the liquid version. I ended up having to take the powder because our pharmacist couldn't get it any other way, no matter how many suppliers she phoned.

Hey,

Could it be a touch of relux? When harry first went on nutriprem, he seemed to suffer but he had relux aswell and when he added the gaviscon in it, after about a week, he settled down x

That's interesting - you'd think the guidelines for making up the powder would result in it being the same as the liquid.

Anyway, well done on getting the liquid version. I ended up having to take the powder because our pharmacist couldn't get it any other way, no matter how many suppliers she phoned.

I spoke to my GP about it, they were reluctant to prescribe the cartons as they are so much more expensive (think they are £1 per 200ml carton versus around £10 for a tin of powder) but as I have twins and Hannah has to be tube fed they took pity on me I think (was in tears on the phone at the end of my tether) and decided I had enough on my plate without constipated, unhappy babies as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->