Formula tips needed!

Helen

ICSI Twins + miracle BFP
Reaction score
Hi

I could do with some advice on formula. I've decided my News Years Resolution has to be to get them onto formula and off me. Though as DH pointed out, this is one NYR that I can't lose as I won't be BF by the end of 2008! :shock:

Had a bit of a bad time over Christmas. Got lumps on both boobs at different times, though thankfully they responded to Ibuprofen and a hot bath and I didn't need any anti-bios, plus Charlotte bit me really badly a couple of times and I bled (while she was feeding :sick:). NHS Direct reckoned she'd be ok though. :shock:

Anyhow, I realise you're meant to make up bottles fresh and all that yadda yadda yadda. But back in the real world, how do you actually do your bottles? Do you get the water out of the kettle and keep them in the fridge? If you microwave them to warm them up, how long do you need to do 7oz for? Do you microwave the water and add the formula or vice versa?

Etc., etc..... give me your real world formula tips!

Thanks

Helen

x

I make 24hrs worth of feeds up (so 6) at once. I sterilise etc, boil kettle leave for 30 mins & make bottles up.
I leave the bottles on the side in the kitchen and give them to noah at room temp just adding the formula before he has bottle. I also have some dispensers to carry formula if we're going out etc.

There's no worrying about where to warm up when your out and also no faffing in the night!

Easy!

Thanks for that.

I know I'll definitely need to warm them up, at least for a little while. Charlotte and Thomas haven't taken a bottle since we dropped the late night feed maybe a couple of months ago. That was expressed milk and boy oh boy did it have to be at just the right temperature!! :lol:

I used to make up 24hrs worth in one go as well
I would leave the water to cool in bottles then add formula then into fridge ( i know your not meant to but 9 years ago with Em thats what we were told so nerrr!! and i did same with jack LOL)
To bring to temp i always stood them in a jug of hot water

My HV said to make the formula bottles up if thats what we were comfy with but to be sensible - like one of the reasons they started the 'cant do the feeds ready made' is because people were damn right stupid about it one being leaving the bottles on radiators to keep them warm for when bubs wanted fed :shock: I mean that screams stupid! People have the dispensers (everywhere sells em) but HV thinks trying to prepare bottles and counting scoops with one eye open is far more dangerous.

For us however we use the carton milk too for convenience and ease at those shattering one eye open only moments other wise we sterilies bottles, boil water, fill bottles, leave for half hour & fridge them then take from fridge add powder & warm in a jug of hot water when she wants fed - I even do the sterilise and fridge for the empty bottles we will use the ready made milk in.

Aunt today said she use to use the microwave to heat up bottles and one of the dangerous things about that is that it will heat the middle of the bottle (sort of) and when you try on hand you think its not that hot when infact bottle needs a shake and again people weren't to bright to give the milk a swirl!

In general I am more confident after different discussions to prepare bottles in advance either for going out or at night just at the moment until new kettle arrives shes on carton due to upset tummy last week we wanted to rule everything out.

Just the info Ive had so far ... :D x

I have the Tommee Tippee bottles Size 2 teats and Dispensers

https://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/closer_to_nature_260ml_bottle_four_pack_with_slow_flow_teats/
https://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/closer_to_nature_slow_flow_teats_x_2/
https://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/closer_to_nature_milk_powder_dispensers_pack_of_3_/

I sterilise the bottles & dispensers in the morning and make the dispensers up to whatever oz I will need, usually 6 or 7.
Then put the dispenser inside the bottle ready for when it's needed.

I then boil a kettle and let it cool so it's still a little warmer than Thomas will need and fill a flask.

Then as and when he wants a bottle I take the dispenser out of the bottle, fill the bottle with the 6 or 7oz of flask water and add the powder from the dispenser.

Hey presto, 1 instant bottle, no waiting for it to cool or be heated, no counting out the formula powder, and best of all it's fresh not re-heated milk.

Cx

Thanks Mrs E. The flask idea is a top tip!

Is anyone going to 'fess up to microwaving bottles?

Ill fess up to doing it with my neice, i shook the bottle very well before feeding of course.

i used micro, id only do it 4 10 secs then shake, then so on and fourth till it was ready(usually 27 secs lol!!)

Thanks Mrs E. The flask idea is a top tip!

Is anyone going to 'fess up to microwaving bottles?

I will fess up to it, and I can tell you now, I have never scolded Jade or Alfie, it is trial and error in how long you need to do it for, but we always give it a good long shake, then test on our wrists before giving to him! Works a treat.......with our microwave it is 1min 20sec for a bottle out the fridge (9oz) and 40secs if it has been left on the side to cool and not made it to the fridge! Both ours are well on it ;)

When we go out, we overheat the bottle/s and put them in the insulator in the bag and we know we have a good 3-8hrs without having to worry about bottles for him. It is all trial and error babe, you will learn your own times & tricks etc.....x

what actually happens if you warm them in the microwave? never tried it, but it sounds like a fantastic idea when all 3 littlist ones want a bottle before bed at the same time as the two older ones have hot milk :) does it just go thermonuclear, or lumped? i dont know lol. SOrry, never tried it. Plus, you cant EVER heat breast milk in a microwave can you?

Make your bottle up with the milk in it then put in the microwave, nothing happens to it, it stays as a liquid and heats up. Why the 'proffessionals' do NOT recommend it, is because a microwave cooks from the middle outwards, so the middle is always hotter......but if you give it a really good shake, and I don't mean a little whimpy one, we shake for a good 10-20 seconds to mix it up, then it is fine. As for Breast milk, I can't see why you can't heat it out of a fridge, but I have never done this so could not say for certain! x

Like I say babe, breat milk I don't know about, but certainly formula......I have a fit & healthy non scolded 9 yr old (not on bottles now I must add :lol:) and a 10 month old who I have never scolded or poisoned ;)

it would just make things so much easier than having 3 bottles stood in pots for ages lol we have one of those zingy microwaves, literally takes half the time if not more of anything, its a 1050 one and i love it :) those meal things that josh gets when he comes home late that say 9 mins are always done in 3/4 lol, so bottles wouldnt take hardly anything i doubt. Ive just always had it drummed into me you shouldnt heat them in a microwave and shouldnt EVER do B Milk :S dont know why though lol

Give it a go hun, it is all trial and error, but maybe wait to see if someone has tried the heating of breast milk in there?.....As I said, just make sure it is shook very well and then test it on the underside of your wrist if it stings at all, it is too hot! Good Luck! x

yeah, do that anyways lol, josh tends to just squirt the teet into his mouth, im like, that is so gross! he ends up tasting it, eww, even i wouldnt try my own breastmilk lol.

The Little ones are on Breast still, Benji's on SMA still, wont come off it and HATES real milk, apparently its not a problem yet though lol

I micro bottles, 10 secs for each oz

They say not to coz of heat spots but as long as you shake the bottle after for 10 seconds plus then its fine

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->