Free NHS formula milk stopped!

Regardless of any law or costs to the NHS, all patients should be provided for nutritionally. The NHS wants to save money and push breastfeeding but don't want to pay for more support in the hospitals.

Tbh i bet the cost of our food is way cheaper than formula for the nhs. I dont care for the arguement of 'hospital should feed baby too'. How about doing something to help improve the services by helping reduce the costs. You're gonna go home and buy it anyways??!!

It's something like £3 per patient a day :)

it tastes cheaper then that hahaha

after i had zane i was asked do u want fish or pasta, so i said pasta.
i was then given a plate (cold btw) with fish, chips, mushy peas covered in pasta:sick:

It differs hospital to hospital. We have quite nice food in general in my hosp although some of it is rank IMO! Patients like it though. £3 isn't much when you think about it, cereal or porrige then a roll or toast, a biscuit, soup, main and pudding at lunch, afternoon cake, another soup, main and pudding at dinner, then more biscuits at night, and also all the drinks during the day too. Our ward of 30 patients goes through maybe 15pints of milk a day :shock:

The thing is, cuts do have to be made and whether you like it or not, this is quite a 'painless' way to cut back. At the end of the day most mums are out of hospital within 2 days. Are you really telling me that people would object to having to supply 2 more days formula if that is what you intend to use at home? I for one would rather that formula was not supplied than cancer treatment waiting lists got longer or fewer staff were in NICU or there were fewer geriatric beds.

Tbh i bet the cost of our food is way cheaper than formula for the nhs. I dont care for the arguement of 'hospital should feed baby too'. How about doing something to help improve the services by helping reduce the costs. You're gonna go home and buy it anyways??!!

i was then given a plate (cold btw) with fish, chips, mushy peas covered in pasta:sick:

It differs hospital to hospital. We have quite nice food in general in my hosp although some of it is rank IMO! Patients like it though. £3 isn't much when you think about it, cereal or porrige then a roll or toast, a biscuit, soup, main and pudding at lunch, afternoon cake, another soup, main and pudding at dinner, then more biscuits at night, and also all the drinks during the day too. Our ward of 30 patients goes through maybe 15pints of milk a day :shock:

definatly just my hospital then, they offer hardly anything and non of its nice....but anyway ive gone O/T lol

Well i suppose the goverment is cutting everything else! i have always breastfed my babies, so i would take nothing into hospital, but what if i could not? i know it is easy to take cartoons, but after they are opened to they have to be kept in the fridge or can they be left out? Oh more things to pack into my already overflowing huge bag! x x

definatly just my hospital then, they offer hardly anything and non of its nice....but anyway ive gone O/T lol

yeah another hospital in our trust which we often get patients transfered from (pretty much all patients) do NOT get a good review LOL When I was in after having amelie i picked stuff that didnt really gert cooked (like for lunch i ordered soup, crackers and cheese and an apple haha)

i only eat toast and a yogurt after i had zane n even they were awful :S

i had a kfc when i got to my mums hahaha

That sound really bad. I have had a few hospital stays and didn't mind the food at all. It was rather bland but that is cause hospitals use no seasoning or salt which gives flavor. In fact from my first stay I thought it was really good. Of course part of it could have been the fact that I was starving and would have been happy with dog food at that point. But if it is that bad then why not just bring in your own.

Its not just africa as a country that has higher breasfeeding rates, African and Asian mums who live in the west are more likly to breastfeed because its just what they do in there culture. Speeking to the women from the council who run the BF support group i go to, they get sent numbers and stats of the women who leave hospital breastfeeding and 83% of the breastfeeding mums in my area said their ethnicity(sp?) was something other than white british.

If you plan on FF its not going to break the bank or require a lot of effort to put some cartons in your hospital bag and if you plan on BF and for what ever reason cant then they will provide you with some untill you can get some one to bring them in. They wont let babys starve.

yeah another hospital in our trust which we often get patients transfered from (pretty much all patients) do NOT get a good review LOL When I was in after having amelie i picked stuff that didnt really gert cooked (like for lunch i ordered soup, crackers and cheese and an apple haha)

The food in my hospital was amazing, what you got on the ward was what you got in the canteen. Quite often Niamh needed feeding during meal times so by the time i got from special care to the ward i was one of the last ones so got massive portions since they cant transfer food from ward to ward so what ever wasent used got binned.

The food in my hospital was amazing, what you got on the ward was what you got in the cantean.

:thumbup: tbh i do think they could be doing with just offering more simple things at lunch like soup and a sandwich and fruit or yogurt, or a salad, or jacket potato. Who wants 3 courses at lunch :sick:

I love hospital food! I had to go in to maternity triage a couple of wks ago because of pain and bleeding and they kept me in for few hours cause temp was high and waiting on bloods to come back. I got fed! Hubby had to go down to canteen and choose my food. I had chilli, rice and veg and jelly and ice cream! It was yum! They even.offered me a sandwich! and we got to go in.the kitchen.and make hot drinks :D twas fab! Lol.

Xx

The food in my hospital was amazing, what you got on the ward was what you got in the cantean.

:thumbup: tbh i do think they could be doing with just offering more simple things at lunch like soup and a sandwich and fruit or yogurt, or a salad, or jacket potato. Who wants 3 courses at lunch :sick:

We had a small meal at lunch, a packlunch style box or a salad or jacket for lunch and a main meal with desert for tea

I had crap meals in the hospital but the Birthing centre was all home cooked. Yum! They seriously 100% did not let me use the kettle though in the hospital!

maybe they didnt have a kettle :shrug: we have a boiling water tap.

when i was in hospital having ds i couldnt go to the dining room because i couldnt move and all i got offered was toast! i hope the hospital this time is a bit better

Its not just africa as a country that has higher breasfeeding rates, African and Asian mums who live in the west are more likly to breastfeed because its just what they do in there culture. Speeking to the women from the council who run the BF support group i go to, they get sent numbers and stats of the women who leave hospital breastfeeding and 83% of the breastfeeding mums in my area said their ethnicity(sp?) was something other than white british.

If you plan on FF its not going to break the bank or require a lot of effort to put some cartons in your hospital bag and if you plan on BF and for what ever reason cant then they will provide you with some untill you can get some one to bring them in. They wont let babys starve.
Thats interesting . Here in Devon we apparently have one of the highest breast feeding uptakes in the country, and we are a predominantly white population.

maybe they didnt have a kettle :shrug: we have a boiling water tap.

They did have a kettle, they would not let me use it for a pot noodle lol they also wouldnt let me make a cup of tea as and when, I had to just wait for them to offer one :/ Said it was health and safety so how would they suggest we make bottles?

When I was in hospital the food was awful...i'm veggie too and the option they gave me was 'boiled cabbage' - yum. So I just got my family to bring sandwhiches etc...but the mws never saw me eating so kept writing on my notes that I hadn't eaten for x amount of hours!

Just out of interest also...you know the argument 'LO is also a patient'..is it just me, or does anyone else actually see it as the mother being the patient rather than the baby? Obviously unless the baby needs any extra care, but I would say if there are no complications for baby...the baby could go home straight away, whereas it's often us who actually NEED to be there?! (sorry if this doesn't make sense...but what I mean is that really only the mother should be provided for...apart from certain circumstances, which it seems like this is the idea of this policy)

I'm hoping to breastfeed but will take in a few bottles and 2 cartons of milk just incase (the milk is about 65p each).

TBH I'm not bothered as feeding your baby is something you should have covered anyway :shrug:

As for hospital food, it's hit or miss! I was in hospital at 12 weeks after an allergic reaction to medication. I could barely stomach sausage and chips because I was still suffering with ms. I ate my chips very slowly, felt ill so decided to go to the toilet in case and when I came back they took my sausages away :growlmad:

At 20 weeks I was in a different hospital because my waters were suspected to be leaking again and was given a lovely chicken/veg soup with a roll/butter, a lovely piece of cake and a cup of coffee :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->