Freebirthing?? D:

watched both the videos. i'm amazed by these women. how amazing!
i still dont feel comfortable that they didn't have a midwife there at all. find that a bit scary.

i mean imagine if something did go wrong. :shock:

In my ideal world, freebirthing would be the norm. I love the idea of it. I am full of admiration for the women who have the confidence and composure to birth their babies in this peaceful way.
For me, the idea of birthing in hospital fills me with dread. The dreadful downward spiral of intervention - induction, epidural, caesarean - is all too common, as are forcep and ventouse births, the majority of which are easily avoidable with the right environment and support.
I do not have the confidence to freebirth, but wish I did. I will be homebirthing our baby, as I did our daughter, unless it is absolutely medically necessary to be transferred to hospital.

I watched them!

I feel sick and even more scared of whats to come :( boohoo x

I'm having a homebirth as I am not a fan of the medical community. But my birth will be monitored by at least one midwife and one assistant, with a Dr. on call. That being said, I would NEVER give birth by myself at home. Saying that it's okay because people have been doing it for centuries is a stupid argument, as people have also been dying in childbirth for centuries because of lack of technology. This is simply too dangerous, in my opinion.

One of the women ended up going to hospital anyway so what was the point in being stubborn and not having medical assistance. :shrug:

there is no need for others to say freebirthing is dangerous! yes for u maybe but i do not no 1 woman whos had a free birth who hasnt done lots of research ect

yes things in childbirth can go wrong....mostly caused by medical intervention i might add. but end of the day giving birth is natural and while nature can be cruel its not always the case.

there is no need for others to say freebirthing is dangerous! yes for u maybe but i do not no 1 woman whos had a free birth who hasnt done lots of research ect

yes things in childbirth can go wrong....mostly caused by medical intervention i might add. but end of the day giving birth is natural and while nature can be cruel its not always the case.

I was also thinking about posting that medical interventions can be more dangerous and deadly than homebirths/freebirths. I know there are doctors out there who DO "pit to distress", meaning they induce women with pitocin, up the pitocin until the baby is distressed, then they "have to" do an emergency C-section to "save the baby"...ALL unnecessary medical interventions that endanger mom and baby! All so that the baby is born on the doctor's schedule.

I was also thinking about posting that medical interventions can be more dangerous and deadly than homebirths/freebirths. I know there are doctors out there who DO "pit to distress", meaning they induce women with pitocin, up the pitocin until the baby is distressed, then they "have to" do an emergency C-section to "save the baby"...ALL unnecessary medical interventions that endanger mom and baby! All so that the baby is born on the doctor's schedule.

with my first there was intervention done that wasnt explained or needed the mw was just in a rush....with my second mw got to me at home when corey was crowning. the mw was telling me well shouting to push, i ignored her n followed my body.
if i had listened to her even she admitted id of got a really bad tear

That first woman was amazing i wish i was as strong as her such a postive birth will look at that again when im feeling scared about giving birth :) , I really think each person chooses what they want when it comes to giving birth , I dont think we should be judging these women , I myself will be going the hospital and planning on having the epidural but i think the woman who can do it at home are great. All through pregnancy people do things other frown upon , Drinking , smoking , eating certin foods .. Its only normal they are going to frown upon how the women give birth aswel.

I don't think I would ever have a home birth. My son was born with an issue with his heart (luckily it rectified itself) and I would hate to have had a home birth only to have my son rushed to the hospital. He was also jaundiced, so again, I'm glad I had him in the hospital. What if you tear at home...who stitches you up? Personally I'd rather be surrounded by people who are medically-trained than surrounded by the comfort of my home. I think it's a totally personal decision though. This whole free birthing thing is a whole new story to me...can't see why anyone would want to do it given the risks.

I don't think I would ever have a home birth. My son was born with an issue with his heart (luckily it rectified itself) and I would hate to have had a home birth only to have my son rushed to the hospital. He was also jaundiced, so again, I'm glad I had him in the hospital. What if you tear at home...who stitches you up? Personally I'd rather be surrounded by people who are medically-trained than surrounded by the comfort of my home. I think it's a totally personal decision though. This whole free birthing thing is a whole new story to me...can't see why anyone would want to do it given the risks.

i had an internal tear so i was taken to hospital to be stitched, otherwise the mw stitches u up at home.

again there is risks to birthing in a hospital, it goes both ways

i had an internal tear so i was taken to hospital to be stitched, otherwise the mw stitches u up at home.

Oh I see. I always wondered what would happen. Thanks for answering!

Oh I see. I always wondered what would happen. Thanks for answering!

no problem :) in the uk we are given a box with things like stitching kits in so it can all be done. it was ashame i had to go hospital in the end, but that was a waste of time. doc was horrible and the sttches fell out lol

This made me excited for giving birth :lol:
I wouldn't freebirth or not have any antenatal care, i dread to think what could of happened last time if i'd refused tests etc :(
I did originally plan a homebirth with a midwife with my little boy, but that got thrown out the window in the later weeks, i'm glad to be having a hospital birth this time round.

Do they actually say that this is the way it was done in the 1800s? (I can't watch the videos--sorry.)

This is simply not true; midwives have been arounds for centuries in the Western world and were expected to be there at a birth. They were not just random people who had been there before and knew what to do, they were specific women trained in the "profession" (though the concept of a profession is very recent) just like today. And they actually did have a lot of medical knowledge; doctors only took over the business of birthing babies in the late 1800s--and were very bad at it, I might add. To labour without a midwife in the 1800s was pretty rare and probably accidental. So free birthing is not based on "the old way" of having babies.

I love these video! I am planning on having a hospital birth but with no intervention of any kind. just gonna be there just in case something goes wrong. Nature sure works in wonderful ways and I think these ladies are very courageous to step out side of the box and do it the way it was intended. I know when our cats gave birth we did not rush them to the hospital! If my insurance paid for it I would deff have a home birth or even a free birth but no prenatal care at all is not a good idea at least get one ultrasound twords the end to see where placenta is for yours and the baby's sake! I would love to have a nice transitional painless birth like the first women this is my goal exactly!

Wow, ladies, thank you for all of your responses an some sharing some wisdom. :)

I'm glad to see how large this thread has gotten. I didn't think it would make it this long!

In all honesty, I am a little scared of the birthing process. Not from
These videos, but just general pain. Mind you, seeing these last two ladies shouting at their partners not to touch them at all; I don't know if that was a personal preference or if it really hurt for someone to touch them there. :(

I realize we're going to be sensitive but, wow.

I think it is nuts.
I'm all for home births when it is safe. And I'm all for avoiding medical interventions that are not necessary.

But seriously, lives are saved by having medical professionals on hand when we need them. Before women had trained midwives to deliver babies, and access to hospitals and doctors, women and babies died in childbirth on a regular basis. Yes, more often than not, your body can deliver the baby safely. But why take such a monumental risk? And what if something goes wrong? How awful for your partner, who is with you and has no idea what to do.

I think it is irresponsible personally. Have a natural home waterbirth with no pain relief if that is safe for you to do. But have a midwife in attendance in case it goes wrong and you need the hospital.

Wow, ladies, thank you for all of your responses an some sharing some wisdom. :)

I'm glad to see how large this thread has gotten. I didn't think it would make it this long!

In all honesty, I am a little scared of the birthing process. Not from
These videos, but just general pain. Mind you, seeing these last two ladies shouting at their partners not to touch them at all; I don't know if that was a personal preference or if it really hurt for someone to touch them there. :(

I realize we're going to be sensitive but, wow.

If it helps the thought of labour can be scarier than the actual labour. For me it was like my body took over and I just had to trust in it and it knew what it was doing. Yes it was painful, yes i had interventions but im 100% glad that the support network was there. I did not have any expectations of my birth, my birth plan was 5 words. Outcome - Healthy baby healthy me.

I fully support home births- but to not have anyone there who knows anything- if something did go wrong my god - it would be horrendous. and tying off the umbilical cord with a shoelace? oh god.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->