Frequent night waking - but not for feeds..?!

MemmaJ

Reaction score
My almost-10-month-old wakes frequently in the night but it's not for feeds..
Basically ever since he's been more mobile, whenever he wakes slightly/stirs, he sits himself up in the cot and then cries because he can't seem to work out what to do next?!
He's absolutely fine and goes straight back to sleep when one of us goes in and lays him back down (and gives him his dummy) - but this happens at LEAST 5 times a night and it's getting very draining..!

It's like he wakes, sits himself up (as if it's morning), realises he is still really tired but just can't seem to fathom how to lay himself back down (however I'm not sure he'd go back to sleep then even if he could, as he also doesn't know how to put his own dummy back in either!).

Does anyone have any tips on how to combat this..?!

Just ride it out. I remember this around 9-10 months too and it was really tiring, but it passed by 11 months and actually after that, she started to sleep better than ever (well, for a couple months anyway, but at least I got caught up on sleep). It's really typical when they are going through big development leaps and they wake up wanting to practice what their brains are learning. I'd help soothe him back to sleep in whatever way works. I'd also offer him feeds if you think that might work. If he truly doesn't want or need them, he won't be interested. But if he can't settle back to sleep, I'd do that until this all passes if it's easier. Usually it does once they master whatever it is their brains are learning. And get help from your partner too. If you share the load, it makes it all a little bit more manageable if you can both get some sleep, or trade off on nights, so you each get a better night's sleep every other night, etc.

He has been crawling since exactly 8 months and pulling himself up/coasting for a while, so I did wonder if he was maybe trying to master walking, but he doesn't seem anywhere near that yet... :-(
My partner is very good, he does share the load :) . We've recently started a new exercise regime though which tires us out so it's become much harder to keep waking up..!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->