FRER not getting darker - help!

damorvant

Reaction score
I took a FRER on 18dpo intending on it to be my last. The test was as dark as the control.

Got beta done on 20 dpo: 582 (up from 40 the week before)

Took another FRER today (22dpo) thinking it would be way darker than the control, and it looked the same as 18dpo. Panicked, thought it might be hook effect, so I diluted my urine 50% and the lines look exactly the same still.

Thoughts? Anyone have their FRER stall between hcg being 500-1000? I'm so scared of another loss.

I have always been jealous of people who get a really nice dye-stealing test line. My FRER's will darken to be about the same color (or maybe a hair darker) and then they never darken any more than that. I hope it's a similar situation for you!

It's hard to say because hpts are not a quantitative test. They simple show whether or not there is any hCG in your urine and the box even says not to use them for tracking progression because there are so many variables that can cause the hCG level in your urine to vary.

I understand you are worried about another loss and it's nice to see that progression for peace of mind. BUT trust me when I say this-pee sticks don't tell you diddly squat at this stage. (I know this from a decade of personal experience in the infertility and recurrent pregnancy world.)

Your best bet is to step away from the hpts. Hard I know but it's possible. If it eases your mind, go for regular betas instead. You'll get a definitive number instead of a line that can be influenced by what number wee it was, how long of a hold there was, how much fluid you've had, how old the test was or how strong the dye is or how strong the antibody strip is...I've been horribly burned by hpts in the past so I do not use them for progression. It's not worth the fear.

And for the record, your numbers are fine and you are still doubling normally. I'm not sure when you had your first beta done but here's a quick breakdown that may help a bit.

For example, if you had your first beta done at 14dpo and your doubling time is 48 hours, you'd see the following...
14dpo-40
16dpo-80
18dpo-160
20dpo-320
You are well over that 320. Even if you had your first beta done at 12 or 13dpo, you are still doubling just fine because a 'normal' doubling rate is actually just a rise of at least 60% over 48 hours. And not everyone doubles according to that. I know I don't. I always stay on the lowest end of the 'normal' hCG ranges and if I continue doubling every 48 hours beyond 18dpo, then I'm doing the best I've ever done.

I know all too well what a history of miscarriage can do to you though and I know how much those tests seem like a good idea. But it's honestly not worth the stress and the fear and the anxiety so stick with betas and once you hit the 6.5-7 week mark, go for an ultrasound to see the hb.

You are so right. I know I need to stop.

With my son (who I lost in preterm labor), my FRER's were darker than the control line SO quickly. Within days. Unfortunately, I think that's given me a whole lot of expectation as to what they should look like right now, even though I know I'm being crazy. :nope:

I totally understand your fears. I've had 11 miscarriages ranging from 5 weeks to 14 weeks and even my successful pregnancies have gotten increasingly complicated. It's not easy being pregnant after a loss but it's even harder being pregnant after a later loss. Major :hugs: to you.

I also know what it's like to expect lines that don't follow the 'norm' or even what you thought your previous pattern was. But since FRER changed from the classic flat stick to the absolutely TERRIBLE curved handle and now back to the old-school flat hpt style, they've flat out sucked. I don't trust them at all because they just don't work like they used to. So the lack of progression is likely due more to crappy hpts than your hCG levels.

And I know how much you want tangible proof that what happened with your son won't happen with this baby. Unfortunately, there isn't anything that will conclusively tell you that everything will be alright. That's the hardest part about being pregnant after a loss-knowing that there aren't any guarantees. My own history of losses and complicated pregnancies means I pretty much don't relax until my babies are born and I'm assured they are healthy.

I know how hard it is to trust that things can and will be okay. When you know that it may not be okay, it's hard to trust that it could be. And I won't tell you to relax and just enjoy this process because I know how impossible that is. But I will tell you to try and relax as much as you can no matter how hard it may seem and don't be afraid to demand what YOU need to feel better about things. If that means getting your hCG levels checked twice a week (or more) or weekly scans after 6 weeks to check the hb and see bubs and make sure things are going okay or even finding a therapist to talk to when you feel extra nervous-do whatever you need to feel better about things.

:hugs: Massive :hugs: And I'm praying this is your rainbow baby.

:hugs: I know it is so hard and nearly impossible not to compare day to day - but one of my best best friends has a now (very cranky because he’s teething) 8 month old and her FRER tests anddddd internet cheapies were ALL OVER THE PLACE. I mean it was stressing me out as she was sending me the pics each day because there wasn’t any rhyme or reason to the darkness of her lines. She is a very good water drinker though so I think a lot of the time her hydration levels had a lot to do with it?? :shrug:

Just try your very best to not stress (so hard!) and take good care of yourself emotionally :hugs:

These tests are supposed to help us but it seems like they mostly just stress us the hell out. :headspin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->