Friendly reminder to all! Updated pg6 :'(

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend, it's heartbreaking. :hugs:
My friend at work died from this last year, she was 21.
Thoughts to you and her family xxx

Just wanted to say this is a great thread- thank you to the OP. I had an abnormal smear when I was 21 which was diagnosed as moderate dyskarysis. I had to have a colposcopy and part of my cervix was removed by loop diapthermy....
To be honest I wonder whether I would still be here sometimes as I was lucky enough to have my smear at 21 only months before the law changed...if I had had to wait another 4 years I suspect my moderate dyskarysis would have escalated to cancer...very worrying.

So to reiterate- ladies- have your smear tests!!

Wow! That's a very worrying thought. Thank goodness you had the smear when you did! I hope your story makes more women pro-active about their smear x

So sorry for your loss Ruth :hugs: :hugs:

I'm honestly surprised that cervical checks aren't done yearly like they are in the US. I went to have a pap a few years ago, they found I had mild dysplasia... and it progressed to severe dysplasia within 6 month's time (follow-up appointment). If that 6-month time frame occurred in between the 2-year frequency like you guys have, I would have had cancer at the next checkup. Had to have a cone biopsy and thank goodness I don't have to worry anymore. I am still going to get mine done every year from now on. And have been since I was 18 years old.

Wow sideways! That is both frightening and a great success story! It really highlights the difference a short amount of time can make. Thank goodness it was caught when it was x

I am so sorry to hear about your friend.

My sister is now 18 and is battling cervical cancer. Its a horrible situation :(

Oh Emma, I'm so sorry to hear that :hugs:
I hope that you sharing your story further highlights the importance of smear tests! x And that your sisters fight becomes a positive story like some of the women on this thread x

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend, it's heartbreaking. :hugs:
My friend at work died from this last year, she was 21.
Thoughts to you and her family xxx

21!! That's absolutely terrible. :hugs: to you also x

Ruth, long time...no see. Am so very sorry to hear about your friend, heartbreaking :( Sending you a big hug :hugs:

I've been for a smear, and thankfully it was normal. Will ensure I go as instructed by my GP for the next one.

Ruth, long time...no see. Am so very sorry to hear about your friend, heartbreaking :( Sending you a big hug :hugs:

I've been for a smear, and thankfully it was normal. Will ensure I go as instructed by my GP for the next one.

Hi TG, thank you! And I'm glad your smear was normal, that's great news. Must pop my head in on our "other thread" and catch up x

Just wanted to say this is a great thread- thank you to the OP. I had an abnormal smear when I was 21 which was diagnosed as moderate dyskarysis. I had to have a colposcopy and part of my cervix was removed by loop diapthermy. After that a smear is a walk in the park. I have to say that if you relax it doesn't hurt at all and you barely feel it. It is the embarassment I suppose that puts people off. But they can save your life. I have HPV- which is what caused my cell changes and I have to have yearly smear tests...I don't mind at all, would much rather that than ending up with cervial cancer.

And it's the HPV which is the key :thumbup:

99% of cervical cancers are as a result of HPV ... if you don't have it then, no matter how abnormal your cells may seem at a routine smear test, you are highly unlikely to go on to develop CC.

That doesn't mean that if you have HPV you will get CC - but it does mean that women with it can be monitored more closely to make sure that any cell changes are caught early and treated before anything can develop.

All of which makes a nonsense of the 'under 25's rule' :nope: .... If under 25's (ie all sexually active women) were tested for HPV then the doctors would be able to monitor those most at risk while ignoring normal hormonal cervical cell changes in women who don't have the virus :shrug:

HPV testing has been the norm in the US for years ... yet here in the UK it is only just being recognised and hundreds of women have lost their lives thanks to that :cry:

<Getting off hobby horse now>

*phones docs on tuesday for appt*

I am former military married to a military Soldier and so I have had mandatory pap smears since I was 18 years old. I guess things are different in the states.

I had my first smear when I was 20 and I've booked my next one for next month. I was due to have one last November but I was pregnant then and have just got round to booking it. Next month was the earliest appointment available, which makes me think that women here are quite good about getting them done! I know that when I booked my first I had to show the letter and wouldn't have been allowed one without it! I think that you can't get one done on the NHS before you get the letter unless you have noticed something and get referred for one by your GP! Private providers should give you one any time though if you can afford it! I am very glad I live in Wales though and so am offered them earlier! I've been sexually active since just before my 18th birthday and have a child now at 23 so it's nice to be able to have the checks before 25 and know everything's OK or can be caught early if not!

Beca :wave:

i think all ladies should get them done i didnt go cause i was scared i always had a what if but when i had brooke it made me think u have to u have kids u need to go and i did dont get me wrong it isnt pleasent but its not any worse then a internal when ur in labour i didnt find it sore just uncomftable and it only last 20 secs,

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend :hugs:

I'm only 23.... have had two children, have been sexually active for nearly 7 years and yet I can't have one until I'm 25....personally I find that disgusting - 25 could be TOO LATE! Is there no way you can request one early??

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend :hugs:

I'm only 23.... have had two children, have been sexually active for nearly 7 years and yet I can't have one until I'm 25....personally I find that disgusting - 25 could be TOO LATE! Is there no way you can request one early??

It's worth making a fuss with your GP - some of them will do them before 25, but if not and you are worried then you can get them done privately at loads of Womens Clinics (just Google 'smear and hpv testing' and the name of your nearest town/city to find your closest one) ... It's not wildly expensive and they will do HPV tests too, which would really put your mind at rest or give you ammunition to insist that your GP arranges yearly smears from now on :hugs:

99% of cervical cancers are as a result of HPV ... if you don't have it then, no matter how abnormal your cells may seem at a routine smear test, you are highly unlikely to go on to develop CC.
That doesn't mean that if you have HPV you will get CC - but it does mean that women with it can be monitored more closely to make sure that any cell changes are caught early and treated before anything can develop.
All of which makes a nonsense of the 'under 25's rule' :nope: .... If under 25's (ie all sexually active women) were tested for HPV then the doctors would be able to monitor those most at risk while ignoring normal hormonal cervical cell changes in women who don't have the virus :shrug:
HPV testing has been the norm in the US for years ... yet here in the UK it is only just being recognised and hundreds of women have lost their lives thanks to that :cry:
<Getting off hobby horse now>
Please don't get off your hobby horse!! You're so informative on this topic, it's brilliant! :thumbup: Thank you for sharing this information so we can all be more clued-in x

To the OP - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend :flower:

There is a petition online to reduce the age from 25 to 20. I'm not sure if i'm allowed to post it, but it's

https://www.petition.co.uk/lower-the-age-of-cervical-screening-from-25-to-20/
We're so lucky up here that we get them from 20. My mum's had CC twice so my sister and i never miss our smears :flower:

Ive been having pap smears since I was 18, which is when I got married so I went for my first one and birth control pills. Im 21 now. My tests have always come out good. Its not the most wonderful thing in the world, but its really quick, and its better to have a moment of discomfort than to risk getting very sick and possibly dying :/ Its not even painful in a normal smear test! Just uncomfortable. You do need to relax your vaginal walls. Last time I made the mistake or tensing up so much that I kept pushing the speculum out :p
My british nurse midwife did pinch a bit with the speculum one time, but that was a mistake that she never makes and was horrified. If you are really nervous about it, promise yourself a lovely treat that you can have after the appointment. In my case it would probably be an iced white chocolate mocha or a pedicure ;)
To my knowledge, in both states I've lived here in the US, you can get smears pretty much as soon as you would like?

To the OP - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend :flower:

There is a petition online to reduce the age from 25 to 20. I'm not sure if i'm allowed to post it, but it's

https://www.petition.co.uk/lower-the-age-of-cervical-screening-from-25-to-20/
We're so lucky up here that we get them from 20. My mum's had CC twice so my sister and i never miss our smears :flower:

I'm sorry to hear about your mum's battle with cc :hugs:
Thank you for posting that link! I'm going to check it out now x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"