Frustrated with work

bubblychick

Mum of G & M
Reaction score
Basically when I went back to work I was put on a 7 hour contract which was fine as I only worked 2 evenings a week but the last few weeks they've been giving me weekends as well which wouldn't bother me except I am the only one with young kids who does weekends :( I'm also worried about how it will affect my tax credits next year as when the time comes to reclaim my overtime will be gone and we can't afford to live on my wage without top ups :( DD goes to nursery 12-3 5 days a week so full time isn't an option right now should I tell work to stop giving me hours every weekend or just make the most of it as overtime will be gone soon :/

Sorry im no use regarding tax credits but if youre only contracted 7 hours and youre doing them in the week, they cant make you work overtime (I dont know if thats right, its how your post read to me).

Would it depend on how much overtime you do for tax credits? If its only a few weeks then im not sure how much theyd change in comparison to if it was a permanent thing? X

It's how much I earn OHs wages have gone up a little so we're earning more than last year anyway I lost 4 months wages this year due to maternity leave till July, I don't mind doing the odd weekend but every weekend a well as my fixed hours in the week considering no-one else with young kids has to do weekends just me :(

Thats what I mean though; if youre contracted 7 hours and youre doing them in the week then they cant make you do extra at the weekend unless youre agreeing to it? I hope that makes sense? X

I wasn't even asked they just put me in because everyone else with young kids refuses to do weekends it's because I'm a weekend worker but there aren't enough hours for me to do just weekends apparently :/ I'm scared to say anything cause they've been really accommodating in the past with my maternity leave and hours and such but I'm not getting to spend anytime with my kids or doing anything as a family which isn't right :/

They can't make you work. Even if you're a weekend worker, you're contracted 7 hours so they've not right telling (or not in this case) to work over your contracted hours. They can't do anything about it, they can't be difficult as you only work 7 hours a week, so as long as you're working those sod them. Overtime is an optional extra which you're not made to do.

Stand your ground.

Unfortunately, having children doesn't mean you can't work weekends or evenings unless you have a valid reason not to do those shifts, such as child care issues, I know that sucks but it's essentially discrimination to people who don't have children for them to put you on the "nice" shifts so to speak. I agree that it's unfair when there are people who don't have children who don't have to work those shifts, but on the flip side it's not their fault that they don't have kids,

I hope that doesn't sound like I'm being mean, it's just it wouldn't stand up in an argument with your employers, but working above your hours would. Xx

Working some weekends doesn't bother me working every weekend does I've done the last 5. I don't have childcare on weekends unless OH is off he works shifts so I'm relying on mine and OHs family all the time who have their own lives and shouldn't have to watch my kids every weekend :/if OH is in work I don't have a cat either and OHs parents don't so I'm relying on public transport to get the kids to their house and then to work which I haven't got the money for :/

I keep saying though, if you're doing your hours in the week they can't make you work weekends.

If you're on a flexi contract then they can change your working days but not the number of hours you work...but you've said you're working your 7 hours in the week so you can't be made to work extra.

If you do 7 hours then don't do anymore. They can't make you. So do overtime on days when you have childcare and on the days you don't, don't work.

X

The rota where I work (I work in a store) is done a few weeks in advance but we don't see it till the week before and even if we do see it it is always been changed I wasn't down to work next Saturday but I checked the rota today and bang I've been put in :( 6th weekend on the run :( there are about 5 other mums of young kids in our place and none of them does a weekend shift how is that fair?

I don't mean to sound rude, but have you read my replies? If you're working 7 hours which your contracted to in the week then you don't legally have to do any more hours than that. You've said the weekend is extra/overtime so don't work it.

If you're on a flexi contract then you can be made to work any shifts as it's flexi. So if your 7 hours fall on a weekend then that's ok as it's your contract to work that.

I can't help as you're writing similar answers - if the others aren't on the same contract then they might not be contracted flexi or may work more hours than you and they're needed at times when you can't work. As I said unfortunately having children or not doesn't come into it...it's discrimination against both parties then...you for having them and the others for not.

You have the option of work life balance but I doubt they can change much as you're only contracted 7 hours, I'd speak to hr if you're concerned
X

I've read the replies and I'm going to speak to the person who does the rota on Friday I'm just scared to say anything :( they work days which I can't really do due to DDs school and OH working shifts I've calculated I don't have to work really and we can budget tightly but I like the people I work with and a bit of extra money is nice. There's people in work desperate for hours and not getting them and me who doesn't want them getting given them every week

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->