FTM... Hospital Bag

jadesarah

Reaction score
So i need to start thinking about packing my hospital bag... Im currently 31+2 however going away the end of the month for a week so need it packed for then just incase. As a first timer, i don't have a clue what i need to take with me for myself or for baby? Do i also need to take car seat with me when waters go or not?

How many bibs etc do i need to take? Im not BF so do i need to take milk aswell?

I'm going away for a weekend at the end of May and will have it all with me! Personally I'm keeping my carseat in my car when we go away and it will be kept in the SUV just in case.
But on what to pack in my bag I have absolutely no idea!

All you REALLY need is a carseat. Anything else is just for extra comfort above and beyond what hospital will provide. THey should provide any essentials for baby, including formula. IDK why you would need bibs...unless in the UK that means something different than here (what we put on baby when we give them baby food to keep front clean). Just have your carseat ready, for sure, then a few nice things to have are:
A few big comfy nightgowns for you
A going home outfit for baby (hospital will clothe while there)
A going home blanket is nice
Your own pillow or two
Your own toiletries if you prefer
A going home outfit for you (maternity or loose and baggy cuz you won't be back to size after baby quite yet), and change of clothes for DH if applicable
Any music you may want if you like that during labor, but I'm not bringing it myself
camera!!!
Flip flops are nice for the shower and around the hospital room
Hair ties, chapstick
Most everything else is just nice but not necessary.

im in uk here is whats in my bag i have one for me one for baby.

my bag.
nighty to give birth in
vest top (for birthing pool)
2pairs of pyjamas
outfit to come home
toiletries (wet wipes, shampoo, shower gel, toothbrush and paste, maternity pads, breast pads, bobbles)
slippers and thick socks
7pairs old knickers
2 nursing bras
snacks (squash, cereal bars and mars bars)
dark towel

for baby
3 babygrows woth built in scratch mittens
4 vests
coming home outfit
3hats
2cellular blankets
1blanket to come home
pack newborn nappies
4muslin squares and 5bibs
teddy
2 dummies

its so hard to remember eberything but i think thats everything ive packed and will take carseat and add maternity notes.

forgot will also take my own v shaped pillow i did last time and was so glad hospital pillows not very comfy.

Your hospital might give you a list, ours did. Anyway, at my hospital they keep you in for three days after the birth and the list of things you are told to pack is insanely long, including three cots sheets, six babygrows, six vests, three pairs of pjs for me, and on and on and on. I think it's insane and look like I'm going on a huge vacation. I'd say see what your hospital says (and I'm sure the list will be more reasonable than ours!).

This is what I will be packing -

Me:

slippers
2-3 pairs leggings
2-3 shirts
2 nursing bras
a few changes of 'granny pants'
pj's
maternity pads
breast pads
toiletries
make up & make up wipes
toothbrush
toothpaste
deodorant
camera
iPad
chargers
phone
snacks (mini chocolate bars, cereal bars, water, grapes)

Baby:

newborn nappies (about 10-15)
wipes
few onesies
going home outfit
car seat
bibs
dummies
blanket
cardigan

I'm a first timer too. Just started packing my bag in the past few days. Obviously I got the car seat ready to go, but what's in my bag so far is a nursing top and PJ bottoms, a few recieving blankets, a few outfits for baby, a toiletry bag for me, a diaper bag just in case which I also stuffed with nursing pads, and still to go in there will probably be snacks, panties, a change of clothes for me, my camera, brush and hair ties, and some pads\cloths also for me. Don't see needing anything else, but if I do I live about a five minute drive from the hospital so not hard to send someone with my keys if need be. I need to remind myself to go to the bank too so I have a little cash on hand when I go in in case I want someone to grab me some dinner or something.

First timer here & planning a Homebirth but here's what is already in my 'emergency' bag:

Mamma:
8 knickers
2 socks
1 mat bra
1 labouring tank top
1 set PJ's
A dress for leaving hospital
Flip flops
5 disposable knickers
1 pack maternity pads
2 re-usable breast pads

1 flannel
Shampoo, Conditioner, Shower gel, Lotion, Deodarant, lip balm, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, make up (all travel size)
Tissues
Contacts
1 towel (dark colou)

Baby:
3 sleepers
4 vests
1 mits
1 hat
2 pairs socks
2 muslins
1 blanket
1 box starter kit formula (just in case - BF hopefully)
1 bag nappies
1 pack wipes
1 pack nappy bags

Small scented bin liner for dirty items

Carseat!

Thanks everyone some really good things that i hadnt even thought about :)
When did u all start packing?

i packed baby's bag last week and i've been working on mine....i barely have enough maternity clothes/pj's to last me a week so it's taking me some time to acquire everything lol.....but here's what i have....(i like to overpack for "just in case" situations so i probably have too much as it is in baby's bag and know that the hospital will probably supply a lot of it)....but baby's bag is also the diaper bag so a lot of it will stay in there after the baby is born too!....

Baby's bag...

a few onsies
diapers and wipes
take home outfit
a small teddy bear
bath soap and lotion
a sleep sack
receiving blankets

My bag...(currently working on)

toiletries
a couple pairs of pj's
outfit to wear home
nursing bras
underwear
nursing pads
a change of clothes for hubby
and definitely a pillow

now that i type them out those lists seem awful short but i can't think of anything for me...i'll have to reread everyone else's lists....
i'm a first timer too

i keep meaning to start mine. Need to get the newborn clothes out of the loft and wash them!

i would add:

straws - really useful to sip water when in labour

snacks - good sugar levels are necessary! im taking lucazade

breast pads - even if not breastfeeding

there are some good online lists for inspiration!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->