Full names on birth certificates

hayz_baby

Mummy to 3 boys!
Reaction score
Some people think in weird for thinking this including oh.. When I name lo (and any other children) I want the full name on he birth cert not a shorten version/nickname. Eg the name Alexander has grown on me.... (No guesses there lol) but oh wont want Alexander, he says the name should just be Alex. Now I would be more than happy to call lo Alex on a day to day basis but I want the official name to be Alexander (if we decide on this name) and example is oh really liked the name Eli, but for me to agree it would be put down on he birth certificate as Elijah. I just personally don't understand using the nickname as the official name... What do you think? X

my son is Jake because personally im uncomfortable with Jacob and OH didn't like Jacobi

we are a very northern family, Jacob is just not the type of name our area, family or history has... we are an area of Johns, Jacks, Billys and Daves etc... - it would be uncomfortable for me like we where trying to be posh and southern when we dont want to be

also I like Billy for a future son but dont like William and there is already another William in the family

We said if we were to ever habe a boy we would call him Zac. I said i would want Zachary on the birth certificate. I wouldn't want just Zac. I can't really explain why. Maybe i am just.old fashioned lol!!!
We call my daughter Belle but she is Isabelle on her birth certificate :)

Not a deal breaker for me but i would personaly go with the name (shortened) or not that I liked best. Alex would be fine in my book on a birth cert but It's just an individual opinion. My oh perfers 'real' names too though. I liked Eliza for a girl but he said it should be Elizabeth but he didn't like Elizabeth so Eliza was out.

I completely agree with you. I could never put just "Alex" on the birth certificate even if the child got called Alex by everyone.

JJKCB I consider Jake a full name.

If I like the full version of the name too, then I'd want it on the birth certificate, but if I only like the short version then I would just go with that. For example, I like Archie but I wouldn't name my son Archibald.

I'm the same. We liked the name Nate, but it's too "nicknamey" so he would be named Nathan, but we would only really use Nate. We still haven't picked a name yet, but I would definitely list the "real name" on birth certificate as the proper version, even if calling him a shortened version. I think it's more proper for when he's older and such.

I kind of agree, my sons is mostly called Frankie, but on his birth certificate its Franklin, also my daughter is Madeleine on her birth certificate, but usually called Maddie. I think some names sound fine in their shortened form, but others not so much.

If I like the full version of the name too, then I'd want it on the birth certificate, but if I only like the short version then I would just go with that. For example, I like Archie but I wouldn't name my son Archibald.

This exactly!

My hubby is exactly the same and would insist on a full birth certificate name. Shame as I like Archie but couldn't christen him Archibald!! Freddie is on my short list as I think I could just about live with Frederick and then refer to him as Freddie or Fred x

This exactly!

My hubby is exactly the same and would insist on a full birth certificate name. Shame as I like Archie but couldn't christen him Archibald!! Freddie is on my short list as I think I could just about live with Frederick and then refer to him as Freddie or Fred x

my OH loves Archer - would that not nick name to Archie

This exactly!

my OH loves Archer - would that not nick name to Archie

That's a good thought! I'll have to run it by my OH and see what he thinks :)

I would rather the full name on the birth certificate x

Full name for me too, so then they can pick if they don't like the nickname we've chosen when they are older, and also lots of nicknames are quite babyish which is fine for a child but may not suit adulthood...but then maybe im posh and southern?!? :haha:

Same for me with full name. My lo is josephine but we always call her josie, plus how does your lo know there in trouble without full name coming out lol thats how my parents were, i only got called rebecca when they were mad at me haha

Same for me with full name. My lo is josephine but we always call her josie, plus how does your lo know there in trouble without full name coming out lol thats how my parents were, i only got called rebecca when they were mad at me haha

by the tone of voice

I don't like these cutesy nicknames that have become regular names. I know a girl who named her son Charlie. Not Charles, but Charlie. I don't think that's fair to her son, he should have the option when he is 40 to go by Charles, rather than Charlie.

Thnks, oh doesn't want a child to hate their name when they are older, I don't see how but that's what he says. I always think its more appropriate for adults. Tbh his name is Daniel, he goes by dan by everyone and Danny by his family. He says he wishes he was just either or. But they are nicknames not his name! Thanks!im glad I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

by the tone of voice
haha i know i was joking. Every child i have taught, looked after and my lo know there in trouble when i lower tone. I do find it amusing that every parent i know will say their childs full name when telling them to stop something

by the tone of voice
haha i know i was joking. Every child i have taught, looked after and my lo know there in trouble when i lower tone. I do find it amusing that every parent i know will say their childs full name when telling them to stop something

It's just what you do.. Like opening your mouth to put mascara on lol

Lol defenetly my child knows to freeze instantly when i say josephine charlotte

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back