Full names on birth certificates

I use a 'professional' test on the names I pick for our children. I'm not ashamed to say that I worry about some children and the monikers they have been lumbered with - Earl goes to school with a little boy called 'Lucas Trollope' - poor boy. There is also 2 tylers and a morgan who is a boy. While I would never go as far as Katie Hopkins and her stupid little thoughts (that in my opinion should be kept in her head!), I think that a name is your child's way into the world and you have to give them the best start. Naming them 'peaches' or 'trixie-lullu-belle' or 'Englebert' isn't going to do them any favours. Having said that I met a very nice chap, very well educated and was a regional manager for enterprise car hire - names "Storm" as his parents were hippies. Just goes to show lol.

Anyway, I digress.....I like full, traditional, and functional names that would take that person into any line of work or situation and serve them well. I know 'Earl' isn't everyone's cup of tea (proper marmite name there lol) but no doubting the credentials of an 'Edward' to fulfil those 3 criteria. Both can be shortened by family/friends and both can be made formal by the use of their full names. 3rd child is proving a little more tricky to name. Being team yellow we have to have both genders ready to go - that's not so easy 3rd time round lol.

I agree. You would never actually judge a person on their name I only mean from the child's point of view, they might feel silly writing the name Daisy Boo or Pixie on the application for their masters degree! A lot of people I know with 'far out ' names tend to go for a nickname as they get older, or just change their name altogether.

I have a friend Hawkwind (again, hippie parents!:flower:) who says he felt so rediculous introducing himself growing up he now just tells everyone his name is Tom!

Some people think in weird for thinking this including oh.. When I name lo (and any other children) I want the full name on he birth cert not a shorten version/nickname. Eg the name Alexander has grown on me.... (No guesses there lol) but oh wont want Alexander, he says the name should just be Alex. Now I would be more than happy to call lo Alex on a day to day basis but I want the official name to be Alexander (if we decide on this name) and example is oh really liked the name Eli, but for me to agree it would be put down on he birth certificate as Elijah. I just personally don't understand using the nickname as the official name... What do you think? X

I feel the exact same way you do. OH and I felt a little different about the name. I preferred the longer version, while he preferred the shorter version. We compromised by agreeing to make the longer name the official birth certificate/You're-in-trouble name, while keeping the shorter name the regular/daily used name. The official name won't be used as much anyway, just like when people use middle names, they are usually mainly on the official paperwork rather than used in day-to-day situations so I would hold my end on it if you feel strongly enough about it. I'm just glad OH and I both feel good about our arrangement so we didn't have to discuss it more than that. :haha:

:flower:

I would always use the full name on the birth certificate, I like to do things "proper" and traditionally lol. I love the name Ollie and while I would happily call my child that, I would something more formal for job applications etc thus Oliver obviously. If I didn't like the full namei probably wouldn't name the child after the nick name.

My son is called Alex, and that's the name on his birth certificate. I love the name Alex, but I'm not keen on Alexander which is why I didn't use the full version.

If anyone's interested, you could google 'nominative determinism', which is a theory with a fair amount of support that names actually do have a significant effect on both personality/ job and how people are received socially.

If anyone's interested, you could google 'nominative determinism', which is a theory with a fair amount of support that names actually do have a significant effect on both personality/ job and how people are received socially.

maybe I should change my name to Gene lol

(because im studying to be an embryological and developmental genetic researcher)

I'm the same as OP, I wouldn't use a shortened version of a name on a birth certificate.

I personally dont like when people put the full name on the birth certificate and never intend to use it. Its different if its a nic name and you do still use the full name but if you intend to always use the shortened version you may as well put it on the birth certificate. Just my opinion tho.

I will always put a full name on the birth certificate. My parents did and fully intended only to use the shortened version however I hate the shortened version of my name and never use. I always use my full name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->