Full names on birth certificates

Same for me with full name. My lo is josephine but we always call her josie, plus how does your lo know there in trouble without full name coming out lol thats how my parents were, i only got called rebecca when they were mad at me haha

by the tone of voice
haha i know i was joking. Every child i have taught, looked after and my lo know there in trouble when i lower tone. I do find it amusing that every parent i know will say their childs full name when telling them to stop something

Ive never ever done that lol, dont even think he would know I was talking to him

dont think my parents didn't it to me or my brother either

as for their parents (our grandparents) doing it to them, they couldn't have as both my parents only have one name that doesn't nickname (same with my cousins)

my OH parents couldnt of done it either as both OH and his brother both have short (4/5 letter) names and no middle name

I do agree with the cutesie nick name thing, it doesn't work - especially for boys:

tends to be ie names:

Alfie etc... wont age great
where as
Rob etc... will age much better

although with girls some work fine like and even the ones that dont are generally more accepted:

Annie etc... work fine
where as
Rosie etc... sounds very childish

I agree. We have traditional full names on bc and use more modern nicknames day to day. Then they have a choice.

Nn's are lovely for family/friends to use but I can't really hear

Mia the bank manager or
Ollie the lawyer :haha:

I agree. We have traditional full names on bc and use more modern nicknames day to day. Then they have a choice.

Mia the bank manager or

I think Mia stands as a name on its own like Mae or Rose, it wasn't until I joined here I had ever heard of it as a nickname

We named dd2 as a shortened version as OH didn't like the longer version, I really wish I had stuck to what I wanted though an at least put the long version on her birth certificate. Even though it isn't on there I still at times tend to call her by the whole name even when she isn't in trouble. :)

If I had chosen the full name as the babies name, then yeah I would. But we chose Alex and Tori, not Alexandra and Victoria, to me, thats their names, not nicknames, they aren't shortened for anything. :shrug: Does that even make sense?

I know what you mean, a d I agree to an extent, but there are some names that I don't like in full, but I like the short form; like Jacob/Jake, Harold/Harry, Alfred/Alfie. I think it's important to go for the name you like; if you love the short form enough to use it, but you don't like the full version, then don't use it.

I realise you say you LIKE Alexander, and that's great if you do, but if you weren't AS in love with the name as you are with Alex, then I personally wouldn't use it. He would constantly be referred to as Alexander; in school, on official documents etc. If its not a name you love then why choose it? The name we have chosen for our baby is Molly; and people would argue that it is the shortened form of another name, but these days it's become a name in itself, like Jake, Alfie and Freddy are also becoming

Mia the bank manager or

I think Mia stands as a name on its own like Mae or Rose, it wasn't until I joined here I had ever heard of it as a nickname
i too have only really seen Mia as a full name, and I see what people are saying, about having a lawyer called Ollie, but Embarrassing Bodies (a british TV show) has a real life doctor, called Dr Pixie; wouldn't you trust her? She still has all the credentials :shrug:

ETA: I have just looked her up online and seen her real name is actually Bernadette Ann McKenna, but she goes by Pixie McKenna professionally. An interesting decision, but obviously it's served her well to do so

Mia the bank manager or

i too have only really seen Mia as a full name, and I see what people are saying, about having a lawyer called Ollie, but Embarrassing Bodies (a british TV show) has a real life doctor, called Dr Pixie; wouldn't you trust her? She still has all the credentials :shrug:

ETA: I have just looked her up online and seen her real name is actually Bernadette Ann McKenna, but she goes by Pixie McKenna professionally. An interesting decision, but obviously it's served her well to do so

Could be a stage name iykwim as that is quite common with actors/actresses. Dd you know Bruce Willis' name is a stage name? Lol I wouldn't say pixie is a shortened nickname version of a longer name too iykwim more like a more unusual name

Mia the bank manager or

to be honest if your leg is falling off you wont say can I have a doctor named William instead of one called Bill but with 'pixie' its a TV thing, most doctors are know solely by there last name i.e Dr. Berkley or Dr. M. Londis etc... (I could name nurses first names but no doctors that I know)

with things like lawyers where its a customer driven market and you have much more choice would you trust your freedom, custody of your children or life changing compensation in the hands of Daisy-Mae Honey Blossom Hanley or Charlotte Ann Hanley

Mia the bank manager or

Could be a stage name iykwim as that is quite common with actors/actresses. Dd you know Bruce Willis' name is a stage name? Lol I wouldn't say pixie is a shortened nickname version of a longer name too iykwim more like a more unusual name

pixie is because she is short lol

but yes most people on telly have stage names or have changed their names

with things like lawyers where its a customer driven market and you have much more choice would you trust your freedom, custody of your children or life changing compensation in the hands of Daisy-Mae Honey Blossom Hanley or Charlotte Ann Hanley

Either. A name doesn't say anything about their skills.

Either. A name doesn't say anything about their skills.

it shouldn't in a fair world but believe it or not a lot of judgement are actually made on judgement as law is far to complicated to set out black and white rules - custody of a child for instance, unless one parent is clearly a terrible influence then each parent has equal rights so that case is build solely on the judges judgement of you, you life and your choices (things as simple as those you associate with, dress sense, tattoos), I wouldn't risk it the judge could have the Katie Hopkins approach to life lol

[/QUOTE]
the judge could have the Katie Hopkins approach to life lol[/QUOTE]

OMG that woman is such a pratt! :growlmad: Imagine if everyone was as opinionated and judgemental as her :wacko:

I always find this kind of reasoning to be so silly.

No lawyer is going to say "hi, I'm daisy Mae honey blossom Hanley"

Not much of a difference between Daisy Hanley or Charlotte Hanley, both seem competent.

I can see both sides of this. I plan to call my baby by a nickname but put the long name on the birth certificate, however the long name has meaning to me and my family and I love the nick so it really works for us. There are other names though where I love the nick (Gabe for example)but don't care for the traditional full name (Gabriel). In that case, I would use the nick on the birth certificate as that is the name I would want my child to have.

I went to school with a guy named Tommy and it drove him nuts that a teacher kept calling him Thomas. His mom went to a parent teacher meeting and asked why he wouldn't call him Tommy. He said he didn't like nicknames and his full name was Thomas, had to pull his foot out of his mouth a moment later when Tommy's mom informed him that the name on his birth certificate was Tommy as that is what she named him!

I can see both sides of this. I plan to call my baby by a nickname but put the long name on the birth certificate, however the long name has meaning to me and my family and I love the nick so it really works for us. There are other names though where I love the nick (Gabe for example)but don't care for the traditional full name (Gabriel). In that case, I would use the nick on the birth certificate as that is the name I would want my child to have.

I went to school with a guy named Tommy and it drove him nuts that a teacher kept calling him Thomas. His mom went to a parent teacher meeting and asked why he wouldn't call him Tommy. He said he didn't like nicknames and his full name was Thomas, had to pull his foot out of his mouth a moment later when Tommy's mom informed him that the name on his birth certificate was Tommy as that is what she named him!

lol, he sounds like a dick... anyone should be called what ever they want to, even if his name was Michael if he chose to be called Tommy instead then that should be respected

I have friends with nicknames and I dont even know their birth names, they clearly went to a lot of trouble to make sure they are known to everyone by their nickname so I would think its very rude to ask

I used to go by my nickname all the time (which is a kind of animal not much different from being called Cat which isn't uncommon) as I didnt want people to use the more obvious nickname which I hated but I used to have rude people refuse to call me that so they would make up what they deemed suitable names which drove me mad, my name is NOT Racheal, Rebecca, Patricia or Regina and personally I dont like any of those names :growlmad: just rude to call someone by a name YOU like that isn't their name

now im older im know more professionally by my full name but all my friends still call me by my nickname, only one person has ever re-nicknamed my name (too the more common nick name) and he just does it to wind people up

Mia the bank manager or
Haha, yes, I use what I like to call the "Supreme Court Judge Test". I just couldn't take a judgement handed down by someone called Lulu seriously, so I will name my children with a bit of thought about how that cutesy kid's name will serve them as an adult.

This thread is so interesting!

I'd ever judge somebody by their name, I think this day in age it's jus daft - children are called all sorts these days!

I'd totally put whatever I was gonna call my child on the BC.. I love the name Harry, but I'd never call my child Harold as I just don't like it. Harry wouldn't be a NN, it'd be his name.

I agree with what a PP said about full names & being told off - my mum always did it, first middle & last name then I knew I'd done something wrong. I do it now too, my OH is called Brian, I call him Bri til he's annoyed me then he's "BRIAAAANNNN!!!" :rofl:

LOL YES!

My OH's name is Daniel but I usually call him Danny or Dan. When I call him Daniel though, he knows he's in trouble!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->