• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Furious!

beth_terri

Reaction score
I left my 4 year old at a kids club today. He was there from 11-3. It's the first time I've ever left him somewhere like this before but I thought he would have more fun there playing super hero games with other children than do his usual things with me.

Anyway, they asked us to provide sun cream which I did and at quarter to 11 I coated him in sun cream.

He has come away with a sunburnt neck!!!!!

He's 4 years old and has NEVER had sunburn, I'm really paranoid about it so smother him in sun cream every hour if not more when we're in the sun! Im absolutely furious. Why did they not re apply sun cream?!

My nursery re apply every 2.5 hours, do they have a policy on it?

That's awful! Poor boy :(

I'm afraid there's prob not much you could do except complain though, and not send him again! x

My nursery re apply every 2.5 hours, do they have a policy on it?

It's just a 1 week kids club voluntarily run by local childminders. So there's no policy but surely as child carers it would just be common sense and very obvious that on a hot day sun cream needs reapplying! Especially when they asked us to provide sun cream so it's not like it was using their supplies :wacko:

He certainly won't be going again!

That's awful! Poor boy :(

I'm afraid there's prob not much you could do except complain though, and not send him again! x

I know :( I'm going to let them know so they can ensure it doesn't happen to any other kids! X

I'd be furious too. Let us know what they have to say for themselves when you make a complaint!

I would be pissed too especially if they wanted you to provide suncream and then failed to apply it x

I am a childminder and under our regulations we are not allowed to apply suncream to kids, incase we get accused of anything. We ask parents to apply total sunblock, which lasts for hours. The kids we look after are only in for 3 hours at a time anyway. If a parent is unhappy about this then they can come reapply or ask us not to take them in the sun.

Yes in one of the places I work you're not allowed to apply it because of child protection. I once got a ticking off for suncreaming a little red haired girl on a blazing hot day. Apparently I should have asked for people to be standing there watching me do it. Crazy!

In other places I work the policy is only to do it a couple of times a day, so unfortunately unless you supply the highest factor and he's not prone to burning anyway there is a risk. I suggest supplying a sunhat with the bit that covers the neck at the back.

I also wouldn't be too harsh on these people, especially if they're volunteers. Unfortunately it's easily done and if child protection policy is involved it may be out of their hands.

Give the sunhat next time and ask for him to be kept in the shade as much as possible.

Yeah I know at school Toby has to put it on himself, they're not allowed to put it on anymore which I think is ridiculous to be honest but it's the way it is unfortunately.

Bens nursery doesn't allow them to apply sun cream either. I have to apply it before he goes and that's it. Sorry your LO got burnt though :-(

Yeah I know at school Toby has to put it on himself, they're not allowed to put it on anymore which I think is ridiculous to be honest but it's the way it is unfortunately.

I think it's so sad :( I remember when I first started working with kids, and this was only 7 or so years ago, it was totally the done thing to suncream all the little ones before going out on a sunny day. Now all this nonsense!

I can't believe they think it's better to toy with cancer than to have teachers/professionals rub a bit of cream onto their arms and necks!

I use a spray instead of cream, FOB sticks up when he goes to America. It's factor 70 and you literally spray it on like deodorant. Would childminders be allowed to use this as you don't have to touch the children?? They should bring it out I've here tbh, makes putting cream on so much easier!!

Well that's odd. My sons first childminder was allowed to put it on him, his nursery did and his school does :/

I'm not being harsh on these people I just think its stupid asking a 4 year old to take sun cream but not putting it on him.

If they had said please pop back to re appl his sun team, or told me they were unable to apply his sun cream I would have done that.

My son had a hat in his bag.

The wont be a nex time!!!

If you told them he had a sunhat in his bag then that's different and definitely neglect on their part. Little kids obviously need a sunhat in the sun.

Regarding the school, they CAN apply it but it needs to be heavily supervised by somebody in authority. Childminders may not have that authority and perhaps nobody there did.

I think it's so sad :( I remember when I first started working with kids, and this was only 7 or so years ago, it was totally the done thing to suncream all the little ones before going out on a sunny day. Now all this nonsense!

I can't believe they think it's better to toy with cancer than to have teachers/professionals rub a bit of cream onto their arms and necks!

I know, it's probably more dangerous to not let them do it than it is to let them

I definately think they were wrong because they told you to supply sun cream, so you'd assume they'd apply it. If they stated the policy was to not apply it then fair enough. Hope your LO isn't too sore.

I definately think they were wrong because they told you to supply sun cream, so you'd assume they'd apply it. If they stated the policy was to not apply it then fair enough. Hope your LO isn't too sore.

Not necessarily. Toby's school asks you to send sun cream with them, they don't tell you that they don't apply it, it was Toby who told me he has to put it on.

Oh really? That seems mad to have a 4yr old apply thier own cream!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->