Gall stones anyone?

Vici

Mum to a LTTC princess!!
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with "numerous" gall stones after a not so nice attack and a trip in an ambulance about a month ago!! They now think I had them all through my pregnancy and my sickness wasn't HE, it was the gall stones and the awful rib pains I had wasn't baby pushing and squahing me, it was the gall stones!!

I now have an appointment on 20th November to see a consultant about having my gall bladder out. Have any of you had this op? Is it likely they'll make me wait a certain amount of time after my C section before they'll do it?

:flower:

I had my gallbladder removed. I was in and out of the hospital in 6 hours for the surgery. It took a couple days to be able to move around - I won't lie I it was painful as it was like I had to retrain all my stomach muscles all over again.

I did however have gastrointestinal issues after the surgery that a small percentage of people are left with forever - unlucky me. I had no choice but to remove it because I was having those "attacks" every second day - but I would recommend if possible for you to try some other methods of helping your gallstones before going to removal.
Many people who I have spoken with say that their stomachs after surgery are forever sensitive to spice, fat, and carbonation.

I cannot tell you how soon after your c-section you could have the surgery, as I have never been pg.

Best wishes.

I had mine out in February. My daughter was 5 months old. Surgery was fine, I just couldn't pick up my daughter for 2 weeks.

I still am constantly getting poo stomach aches though (sorry if that is tmi) Nowhere near as bad as a gallstone attack though! But still pretty shitty :)lol:)

Hi, I've just been diagnosed with gall stones too and I'm waiting for an appointment with a consultant to see what they are going to do. My doctor keeps telling me that it's something that people usually get when they are in their 40s, not when they are 24! That really isn't helping! Have you been offered any alternatives to surgery? They have told me nothing so far x

Thanks ladies, it seems to be more common in younger people if they have recently had LOs. No not been offered anything else Jackie. TBH, with the pain they caused and the ongoing saga, i'd rather just have the op and get it over and done with!! Will see what the consultant says :D

I had to have mine removed when I was 16, I had stones and kept having attacks and it got infected too. They couldn't tell what was wrong at first because I was only 16 and it was more common in older people. When I was in labour (5 yrs after) I couldnt push because I was in so much pain where my gallblader was and had to have forceps delivery incase i damaged myself. I still get pains there sometimes if I eat say...chinese lol or any sort of greasy takeaway but apart from that its been fine, from all the pain it was a big relief to have it out. I think you can have the stones broken down by laser and they just pass through, depends how bad it is I guess. Goodluck

i had mine removed 2 weeks after a sectionits the most horrendous pain ive ever had and was glad to get rid of it,was a bit tender for a few days after but couldnt lift lo for a week.
sadly ive started up again with the pains i think theryve missed a stone in my bile duct so have had a hospital admission,got to have another ultrasound
my surgeon said if you have laser they can just come right back so the best thing is to get rid of the gall bladder!
its a side effect some women get in pregnancy and is very common, the ward was full of people having the op when i had mine
if you need any more info help im here!!

Thanks ladies. It runs in my family too as my 18yr old sister had hers removed as did my nan!! Its not been too bad the last week, but my god when its proper bad, its worse than labour!!

Hey Vici I had mine out about 3.5 years ago and I have never looked back - the pain at the time was as bad as labour - I was pretty sore for about 6 weeks after the surgery but I can now eat what I want and it has never bothered me since in the slightest. Also as it is keyhole the scars are only tiny.

Not sure about how long you need to wait after a section though - but I really hope you get it sorted soon. Xx

I was taken to a+e a couple of weeks ago with suspected gallstones - they have found small stones and "sludge" in my gallbladder (nice) so I'm just waiting to hear what they will do about it, I hope they don't say "live with it"!

my surgeon said that it is impossible to live with and even if you have them removed by non invasive procedures they will come back.
also for the ladies who are still suffering after the removal ive been digging about on the net and there is a thing called post cholecystectomy syndrome which affects up to 40% of people who have had the op!!!!!

my surgeon said that it is impossible to live with and even if you have them removed by non invasive procedures they will come back.
also for the ladies who are still suffering after the removal ive been digging about on the net and there is a thing called post cholecystectomy syndrome which affects up to 40% of people who have had the op!!!!!

I am without a doubt one of these sufferers. When I looked into the meds for this it is a very unsafe med. It blocks your body from absorbing nutrients as it binds the bile in your stomach.

I went to a naturalpath and she gave me three powders that cured my 7 years of h*ll within 3 days.

Best wishes.

Is that even when they remove the whole gall bladder not just the stones? I don't think they just remove the stones at Ipswich, they get it all out!

yep i had the gall bladder out and still get the pains the syndrome is when you continue to have pains after having gall bladder out as well as other symptoms.
google it or go on medhelp its quite frightening how much some peopel have put up with.
im waiting bllod tests on monday then a date for an endoscopy :(

I had mine removed by keyhole surgery in February last year. I was out of hospital the next day, and back at work 10 days later. I've not had any problems since the op, so I guess I'm very lucky :)

I got diagnosed about 2 months after having my daughter. I was told to reduce the fat in my diet and I haven't had an attack since - but have lost 4 stone 5lbs!!! x

I'm so glad others posted about gallstones! I had my first pass at about 8wks when I was on my way out the door to work. I had no idea what it was and as this if my first pregnancy of course I was freaked out! I had to drive myself to the ER and they did an ultrasound and said my gallbladder was full of them but it wasn't inflamed so they at the time couldn't do squat. Flash forward to last week 14+wks and another gallstone pass. My husband took me to the ER, the doc said it's likely hereditary that just happened to be triggered by pregnancy. We have high cholesterol that runs in the family so the gallstones might be account of that. I've been vegan for 9 years so there is no way it was caused by animal fat consumption (the first doc said that to me). So this second ER visit, he said not to come back if it happens again. Just to wait it out. Only go back to the ER if I have a fever or if the pain doesn't subside after 15min. or if it gets worse. He said unless it's inflamed or infected they won't do the surgery while I'm pregnant. He did say however that I should look into getting it done before I have another kid since it's likely I'll go through it again.

NO FUN!

I am without a doubt one of these sufferers. When I looked into the meds for this it is a very unsafe med. It blocks your body from absorbing nutrients as it binds the bile in your stomach.

I went to a naturalpath and she gave me three powders that cured my 7 years of h*ll within 3 days.

Best wishes.

What were you given hun? xxx

ive got my phone call assessment on thursday so hopefully i will get an appointment, had another mild attack last wednesday evening :(

I've got my appointment on Friday, have no idea what they're gonna say. Hope its not "live with it!!" :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->