• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

GD and problems with GP

Caezzybe

Mummy to Logan & Jasmine
Reaction score
Has anyone else had problems with their GP disputing their gestational diabetes prescription, or is it just me?

I have diet controlled GD and have to test 4 times per day (as per the NICE guidelines) and am getting through just over 100 glucose monitor test strips in 3 weeks. Our surgery has an arangement where the local pharmacy will pick up prescriptions and have the items ready for patients to collect and I take part in this.

I went to pick up my test strips at the pharmacy and they knew nothing about the prescription. They phoned the doctor's surgery and said the doctor was querying why I was using so many strips. I was down to my last 24 hours' worth (having been busy with my disabled son and his numerous appointments since I put the prescription request in about 5 days earlier) and was told that I could "phone the doctor later that afternoon". I walked straight over to the surgery to find out what was going on. I ended up having a conversation with the GP via the receptionist who was walking backwards and forwards relaying messages.

Apparently, because "I'd only had a prescription on 7th October" I was "using too many test strips" because "people don't normally test that often". I was none too pleased and explained I test 4 times per day as I have been told to. The doctor (reluctantly so it seems) issued the prescription and I had to walk back to the pharmacy, drop it off and go back later for the items. Luckily, they did have the test strips in stock this time (they don't always).

I am considering complaining for the following reasons:

1. Why can't the GP read the NICE guidelines about diabetes in pregnancy?
2. Why didn't somebody phone me if there was a problem
3. The diabetic care team at the hospital need to know that one of the GPs is being like this with a pregnant woman
4. My son is disabled, I am 37 weeks pregnant and I have a lot of things to do without having to chase up a so-called health professional being pedantic.
5. I think the GP practice should know that one of their GPs is being awkward.

I'm not sure who to complain to, but I will definitely be raising concerns with the hospital diabetes team tomorrow at my last antenatal check :(

Has anybody else had issues like this at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"