Gender via blood test or wait til 20 wk u/s?

Well, out of curiosity I looked up my insurances coverage, it looks like I wouldn't be covered. Here is there criteria:

DNA-based noninvasive prenatal tests of fetal aneuploidy are proven and medically necessary as screening tools for trisomy 21 (Down syndrome), trisomy 18 (Edwards syndrome) or trisomy 13 (Patau syndrome) in ANY ONE of the following circumstances:

• Maternal age of 35 years or older at delivery
• Fetal ultrasound findings indicating an increased risk of aneuploidy
• History of a prior pregnancy with a trisomy
• Positive first- or second-trimester screening test results for aneuploidy
• Parental balanced Robertsonian translocation with an increased risk of fetal trisomy 13 or trisomy 21.

DNA-based noninvasive prenatal tests of fetal aneuploidy are unproven and not medically necessary for pregnant women who do not meet the above criteria or women with multiple gestations.

I have unitedhealthcare, and that document was from 4/2014 so probably accurate. Details.

That's odd. I have United Healthcare and it's being covered, unless we have a different plan option. I also don't meet any of the criteria.

Well, out of curiosity I looked up my insurances coverage, it looks like I wouldn't be covered. Here is there criteria:

DNA-based noninvasive prenatal tests of fetal aneuploidy are proven and medically necessary as screening tools for trisomy 21 (Down syndrome), trisomy 18 (Edwards syndrome) or trisomy 13 (Patau syndrome) in ANY ONE of the following circumstances:

• Parental balanced Robertsonian translocation with an increased risk of fetal trisomy 13 or trisomy 21.

DNA-based noninvasive prenatal tests of fetal aneuploidy are unproven and not medically necessary for pregnant women who do not meet the above criteria or women with multiple gestations.

I have unitedhealthcare, and that document was from 4/2014 so probably accurate. Details.

That's odd. I have United Healthcare and it's being covered, unless we have a different plan option. I also don't meet any of the criteria.

Well, in my experience, they sometimes cover stuff that isn't official, depending on how your doctor's office does. I don't expect that I will be able to have it done, except that I will be considered "high risk" next time, no matter what, but not for any of those reasons (previous preterm delivery due to preeclampsia). So who knows. I'm still debating whether I'd have it, I guess I have time though I'm just starting the TWW :haha: I just like to plan these things!

Well, in my experience, they sometimes cover stuff that isn't official, depending on how your doctor's office does. I don't expect that I will be able to have it done, except that I will be considered "high risk" next time, no matter what, but not for any of those reasons (previous preterm delivery due to preeclampsia). So who knows. I'm still debating whether I'd have it, I guess I have time though I'm just starting the TWW :haha: I just like to plan these things!

I like your style of doing things. Planning ahead is great, in my TWW I was planning baby names. Haha!

I just had the Harmony test done at the end of August (I was 12 weeks)... I am supposed to get the results back next week and I'm super excited. Just be sure to do the blood test at the right time. You "can" get it done at 10w, but there is a possibility of it being "inconclusive" cause there wasn't enough DNA in your blood to get an accurate reading. I think most of the companies offer a free retake though if it comes back that way.

I'm also waiting to see if my insurance covers it. It was done at an "in-network" laboratory, so I'm hoping its all good. :) I have United HealthCare as well and it does say this in my benefits for Pregnancy:

1. Prenatal:
· Diagnostic testing
· Genetic counseling

Your benefits include the services of a genetic counselor. These benefits are available to all covered persons in your immediate family. Covered health services include related tests and treatment.

I'm only 30 and my doctor is recommending the genetic testing too. The test is usually for Downs and the T13/t18 chromosomal anomalies. The byproduct is also being able to tell the gender. You can do the test and not find the gender too.

Honestly if I'm offered that test I would take it! but I can't afford it otherwise, insurance won't cover it unless medically necessary. I'll be getting a private scan at 16 weeks

I had the panorama, took 10 days for the lab to process and a further 3 days for the OB to give the results. I have united healthcare and it was covered:thumbup: We're having a girl :cloud9:

I didn't realize this test was possible. I would definitely get the test done if offered...I might even ask!

I was one of the first people to get this test (MaterniT21) after they started providing gender results with it (Fall of 2012). It wasn't covered by United Healthcare Insurance at the time for anyone- I was over 35 and had a previous trisomy and two losses. But the company that conducts the testing only charged us $248. It was a wonderful test for peace of mind with no risk to the baby and the gender results were a great bonus. I highly recommend the test (or other similar tests under names like Harmony, Panorama, etc.) if it is offered- you can always decline the gender results if you want.

For the poster saying you could get the gender this way and then verify it with the ultrasound- it is the other way around. These tests are way more accurate than scans are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->