Genetic screening

Desi's_lost

baby girl,boy and me
Reaction score
For downs, spina bifida.. The many others, are you getting them? Why or why not?

I just had mine last week and the results came back that the babies were fine.

I had mine because I am 38 and mine were conceived via IVF and they calculated my risk at 1/78 to start with. We would of kept the pregnancy either way we just wanted to be sure we were prepared for a special needs child. Also if the baby had a heart issue or anything that required surgery after birth that we had a medical team in place.

Plus it was a bonus to get the gender at only 11 weeks via the blood test.

I am a planner….

so with my first pregnancy we weren't going to do it, because we were going to keep the baby either way. My OB insisted I reconsider since he said there is a lot of valuable information that they can only get at that gestational age. So we did and we were glad, since at our 18 week scan they couldn't see one of the valves of my DS's heart, but because we'd done the screening at 12-13 weeks we knew it wasn't downs. So now we do it mostly for the extra ultrasound and chance to see the baby looking like a baby :)

We only had scans no screening (blood test, nuchal fold) last time so heart, kidneys, spine etc were checked but not a whole lot else. This time we are having the nt test but only because Im slightly older (only 32 almost) and would want to be prepared in advance.i for us there is no question of keeping the pregnancy only being prepared through consideration for our son

We also get the screening, but only to be prepared if the risk comes back high. This baby will stay with us regardless of anything found in the scan or screening.

I had them done with my last pregnancy but I ask because I'm not likely to have insurance in time to do any of the blood tests nor the money out of pocket to get them done independently. I'm 21 and OH is 24. Neither of us have any family history of issues. But I'm just nervous. Unlike with my first pregnancy, I was smoking (maybe 5 a day) before I got my BFP. It's possible I drank at least once in the very very early days around conception. Twice at the most but still. :/ I'm not actually sure that has anything to do with genetic issues..I'm just a worrier.

Where I am at 21 they wouldn't recommend the genetic screening as you're very low risk, but you can still get it. It's still a pretty non-specific test as it just assesses risk, so you would need to be prepared to do further testing to find out more if indeed you were higher risk. Personally I wouldn't worry too much if it was me and I was 21, but I would still be of the same mentality that I would be keeping the baby regardless. If I wasn't sure about that then maybe things would be different.

Also please don't worry about drinking once around conception and smoking beforehand - I'm sure all is well with the baby! Hugs :hugs:

I am a planner….

Did you get an amniocentisis, or a regular blood test? I've never heard of a regular blood testing giving gender results! :)

I am a planner….

Did you get an amniocentisis, or a regular blood test? I've never heard of a regular blood testing giving gender results! :)

I think it's called the Harmony test. There's an option when getting the screening to find out the sex of the baby. I don't think it's routinely done everywhere, but definitely in the USA.

I had the Harmony prenatal test and a 12 weeks scan last week. I'm from Singapore.

With the risks of CVS and amniocentesis making pregnant women wary, there is a new test called the Harmony prenatal test. It's a safe, highly accurate, and affordable non-invasive DNA test that detects common fetal trisomies as early as 10 weeks with a simple blood draw.

I had the Harmony BT when I was 11 weeks pregnant, and received my results after 10 days. I am 39.

I am a planner….

The maternit21 and the Harmony test will give the gender and the chromosome report at 11w0d is the soonest. It took 6 days to get my results back.

I refused it with DD - and I'm actually glad I did due to what happened in birth when our blood mixed. I have refused it for this one, as we wouldn't abort - and if it came up with a risk - an amnio would be too risky due to ABO incompatibility, if I have another bub with it, and my blood mixes with it due to the amnio, it could cause some problems, so it's just easier for us to say no.

Yes we got it done. We wanted to know if there were any problems to be prepared and to make informed decisions. I guess everyone thinks of downs when they do this test, but they also pick up other chromosomal abnormalities that are not compatible with life like trisomy 18.

Well we came back high risk at 1:20. We had the amnio and she is a 46XX baby thankfully. Despite the awful scare, I will be doing it again with the next baby.

Popping over from 3rd tri...hope that's ok. I got them and I would recommend it...it brought all my worries down about what could possibly be wrong. 100% would get it :)

mine is scheduled for next week. mainly becasue I'm over 35. I wouldn't mind knowing the gender early too :)

Yes we got it done. We wanted to know if there were any problems to be prepared and to make informed decisions. I guess everyone thinks of downs when they do this test, but they also pick up other chromosomal abnormalities that are not compatible with life like trisomy 18.

Well we came back high risk at 1:20. We had the amnio and she is a 46XX baby thankfully. Despite the awful scare, I will be doing it again with the next baby.

THIS. As everyone has said, we aren't going to abort or anything if it was bad news.

I have had friends, both aged 22 and one 19 at delivery. One who has had trisomy 14 another with trisomy 18 and another with another specific chromosomal abnormality (but I forget the name!)
They all had the tests, the trisomy 14 little one didn't have anything picked up until birth (she is now walking and saying a few words aged 4 and a half), trisomy 18 doctors advised to abort, his parents didn't (he survived a full 40 weeks but sadly was taken naturally 3 hours after delivery no pain or suffering) and the other little boy is the happiest little fella I know. His parents would never change their decisions.

My point is wether you're tested or not, nothing can prepare you fully. But if you want to get your head around a possible problem in the future then getting the testing is the best way to begin with :hugs:

Ps. I had it with my first daughter :flower:

I did it. He's fine. I just think it's important to do so that way you either make a decision, or can figure out how to handle what you're going to be dealing with. I don't think I'd want to have it be a big surprise on delivery day were something wrong.

I'm not having it and I didn't have it with my son. I wouldn't have the amnio done so it seems a little pointless for me to get it, if it came back high risk I'd spend my whole pregnancy wondering. I think other serious complications would be picked up on my 20 week u/s. that's my personal choice, I know not everyone has the same views, and I seem to be in the minority x

I'm not having it and I didn't have it with my son. I wouldn't have the amnio done so it seems a little pointless for me to get it, if it came back high risk I'd spend my whole pregnancy wondering. I think other serious complications would be picked up on my 20 week u/s. that's my personal choice, I know not everyone has the same views, and I seem to be in the minority x

You don't have to get an amnio done to test for it...they can now do it through blood results comparing earlier on...that's what they did for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->