Genetic screening

Same. Decided even if the baby had something, we wouldn't do anything about it. We will just deal with what comes to us. You could have a perfectly healthy baby and then that baby could be severely autistic or get in an accident and be a paralyzed or have a serious brain injury etc etc, all horrible things, so what is the point in testing to see if 'maybe' your child might be born with something. Also, I know people that have had the test and they were all clear, only to find out their baby had to have surgery after birth due to issues that weren't picked up on the tests.

There is no right answer to this. You just have to go with your heart. Good luck!

I'm not having it and I didn't have it with my son. I wouldn't have the amnio done so it seems a little pointless for me to get it, if it came back high risk I'd spend my whole pregnancy wondering. I think other serious complications would be picked up on my 20 week u/s. that's my personal choice, I know not everyone has the same views, and I seem to be in the minority x

You don't have to get an amnio done to test for it...they can now do it through blood results comparing earlier on...that's what they did for me

I think what mrsrhead was saying is that there is no need for her to get the blood work done because even if it came back high risk she wouldn't go to the next stage.. The amniotic test.. So why bother worrying all pregnancy.

The risk of miscarriage from an amnio is higher than the chance of having a downs baby so unless u are prepared to have an amnio the answer isnt going to be certain. You will just a one in such and such chance of your baby having it.

Not worth the stress, they even say that most who have a high risk go on to have perfectly normal babies.

I wouldnt abort anyway so the decision was easy for me.

I'm not, purely because the result would never change the outcome of the pregnancy ..... I just will take what God gives me.

Plus abortion is illegal in Ireland ( unless mothers life at risk )

Obviously I will have anomaly scans as heart defects that require immediate surgery can be detected.

With regards to the ratio....I know people who got a 1 in 2 chance of a downs baby...yet their baby was fine and they've worried themselves sick

I also know that people with a 1 in 10,000 chance and they think all is ok only to end up being that one person!! A huge shock usually !

I refused downs screening with both and will do again.

I had one form of genetic testing done via blood. It tested for a lot of things, but not all. It was more for curiousity because when it comes to health I'm someone who likes to be thorough even though I found out after I MC with that baby that life is so unexpected. I don't plan on having DS testing done, and don't plan on having amniocentesis completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->